Trixie (Rascal's Fleet)

5 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

What about an enquiry to the wet shed?

Griff

Hang on why would you put a GRP boat in a wet shed ? Surely wooden boats are better off in the wet shed , if GRP boats moor in there then that leaves less space for those that need a wet shed n there arnt that many about , common sense says don't Moor GRP in a wet shed just as common sense says do more or a wooden boat in a wet shed if possible . 

5 hours ago, LondonRascal said:

First I want to see what sort of batteries and capacity we have and how much space there may be for additional capacity and that will likely need an upgrade from the current Sterling 240v 20Amp charger in situ.

Why ? Iv the same unit and a much bigger battery bank 660 ah n that's in a live aboard boat , battery's are  all lead acid BTW n recharge in 4 hrs without a problem I really don't see changing on less its broke is an up grade but I do see it as an utter waste of money for the sake of it , maybe time to ask questions as to what works and then draw conclusions from the response's given rather than guess , that boar probably has 2-3 domestic battery's n that's all it needs really , remember its worked perfectly well in the past on less your changing it from a holiday boat to a full time live aboard vessel then I really don't get this change everything stuff + my current boat has proved certain systems work over the last 5 yrs with no problems what so ever .

5 hours ago, LondonRascal said:

John it is one of those 'pump action' types I hope that would be suitable for your needs and it appears to be a 'large bowl' version - I will make sure that when this happens the old is not chucked out.

Ie the type that's extremely common all over the inland waterways and works perfectly well with a little effort to flush it obviously .

8 hours ago, johnb said:

I am struggling to put my feelings into words, but this is supposed to be a friendly forum where I thought we accept one another for what we are, not a cheap Sunday newspaper. 

This is a friendly forum , what's hacking me off about this thread is that just with the maintenance thread the same old folk pop up and tell ever single person that doesn't agree with what they are saying to either shut up or start a new thread n stop as they no doubt believe contaminating something that they are following .

If the original poster of the thread states some thing the that surely should be up for discussion within that thread , as i said its the same people every time that call for this , personally iv nicknamed them wolves as they only hunt in packs never alone , everybody is in my view entitled to as an individual to  like or criticise anyone's comments but they don't  when it comes to tidying up a thread for their own benefit  , as iv always said if you don't like it skip it ,  no one is trying to take over any thread in my eyes but some are dictating what's said on certain threads and that needs to stop IMHO .

2 hours ago, Ricardo said:

Hang on why would you put a GRP boat in a wet shed ? Surely wooden boats are better off in the wet shed , if GRP boats moor in there then that leaves less space for those that need a wet shed n there arnt that many about , common sense says don't Moor GRP in a wet shed just as common sense says do more or a wooden boat in a wet shed if possible . 

Griff 500 how is that possibly confusing ? GRP is capable of being in the elements much more than timber so why take up premium space that a wooden boat owner would want  , look at brooms wet shed are there any GRP boats in there ? And  the answer is no BTW .

7 hours ago, LondonRascal said:

John it is one of those 'pump action' types I hope that would be suitable for your needs and it appears to be a 'large bowl' version - I will make sure that when this happens the old is not chucked out.

Many thanks, no rush old mate but yes please, as and when.

31 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

Griff 500 how is that possibly confusing ? GRP is capable of being in the elements much more than timber so why take up premium space that a wooden boat owner would want  , look at brooms wet shed are there any GRP boats in there ? And  the answer is no BTW .

It's nothing more than a personal choice I have a garage and I have a car .some people put their car away in the garage every night and some people like me can't be arsed - like I say nothing more than a personal choice 

finny

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, finny said:

It's nothing more than a personal choice I have a garage and I have a car .some people put their car away in the garage every night and some people like me can't be arsed - like I say nothing more than a personal choice 

finny

Is it then if so why are Norfolk's wet sheds predominantly full of wooden boats , I'm sure Griff n co would like to save on their mooring fees and the could by moving to an exposed mooring in any marina    better still ask him why he chose to moor in a wet shed its a dam site more than personal choice trust me  , but then again don't ask Griff .

Incidentally finny why are you  addressing something I stated to another member , I even named them , surely its polite to let them answer first ? , then if you have an issue comment ! 

46 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

I find your logic strange that's why! If an owner choses to moor his grp boat in a wet shed who are you or indeed anyone else to suggest that he shouldn't. Freedom of choice unless the wet shed owner decrees otherwise

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, Griff500 said:

I find your logic strange that's why! If an owner choses to moor his grp boat in a wet shed who are you or indeed anyone else to suggest that he shouldn't. Freedom of choice unless the wet shed owner decrees otherwise

Are you mad I never said that look and read my post properly , I said and it is a fact that the wet sheds were created for wooden boats not GRP , I can't dictate who goes where more can anyone other than the facility owners nor would I surgest so , I know and appreciate why Griff and dozens of wooden boat owners choose a wet shed , if the owners are happy with a GRP boat taking yo a, mooring in a,wet shed then fine but if I owned the marina it wouldn't happen basically because I like wooden boats and appreciate how much they cost and consume in tinexto keep them going n that's exactly why I'm working on a wooden boat this week n not for the first time either !  

31 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

Is it then if so why are Norfolk's wet sheds predominantly full of wooden boats , I'm sure Griff n co would like to save on their mooring fees and the could by moving to an exposed mooring in any marina    better still ask him why he chose to moor in a wet shed its a dam site more than personal choice trust me  , but then again don't ask Griff .

Incidentally finny why are you  addressing something I stated to another member , I even named them , surely its polite to let them answer first ? , then if you have an issue comment ! 

It's a friendly forum Richard ...when you chose to read a post you kinda get involved in the conversation sometimes .......I don't do personal it's not how I roll and this is just a written conversation as far as iam concerned and nothing more 

finny

14 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

Are you mad I never said that look and read my post properly , I said and it is a fact that the wet sheds were created for wooden boats not GRP , I can't dictate who goes where more can anyone other than the facility owners nor would I surgest so , I know and appreciate why Griff and dozens of wooden boat owners choose a wet shed , if the owners are happy with a GRP boat taking yo a, mooring in a,wet shed then fine but if I owned the marina it wouldn't happen basically because I like wooden boats and appreciate how much they cost and consume in tinexto keep them going n that's exactly why I'm working on a wooden boat this week n not for the first time either !  

No I'm not mad thank you. Most of the wet sheds were probably built before there were many grp boats around. The owner I'm sure can and has every right to chose who moors inside and who doesn't 

5 minutes ago, Griff500 said:

No I'm not mad thank you. Most of the wet sheds were probably built before there were many grp boats around. The owner I'm sure can and has every right to chose who moors inside and who doesn't 

Exactly what I said really .

12 minutes ago, finny said:

It's a friendly forum Richard ...when you chose to read a post you kinda get involved in the conversation sometimes .......I don't do personal it's not how I roll and this is just a written conversation as far as iam concerned and nothing more 

finny

Oh I'm well aware of how friendly it is thanks , I accept your view points even agree with then to be honest .

..." Why ? Iv the same unit and a much bigger battery bank 660 ah n that's in a live aboard boat , battery's are  all lead acid BTW n recharge in 4 hrs without a problem I really don't see changing on less its broke is an up grade but I do see it as an utter waste of money for the sake of it..."

I decided on Independence that I would not need to upgrade the battery bank too much because of the fact she has a large generator and is on shore power. With the Sheerline there is going to be a good chance of extended periods away from the Marina, unable to find a mooring with shore power and not wanting to keep running the engine, I know I cannot have six odd batteries easily and in a boat of this size weight and its distribution  will be a factor too. Despite this, I have plans for a lot of high load equipment to go in, some DC some AC it needs a good capacity of stored power to call upon should the need arise.

"... Maybe time to ask questions as to what works and then draw conclusions from the response's given rather than guess , that boar probably has 2-3 domestic battery's n that's all it needs really , remember its worked perfectly well in the past..."

Why do you presume so much? I am not guessing on anything I am planning ahead. I have a clear plan that I am going to be following from the simple things like a new electric toilet to having a new Calorifier with 1Kw element in it, these are not needed but add comfort to the boats use, just as if I was to remove the batteries and change their chemistry, the overall capacity or charging system, I have my reasons that will be shared in due course but above all it is my freedom to do as wish even if it makes little sense to others.

It is a Wet Shed - open to all types of craft. First come, first serve GRP, Wood, Ferro-Cement, Aluminium, Steel..anything goes..If there were really that many wooden boat owners so very eager to get in to the limited spaces, I am sure they would be on the waiting list - only no, people come and people go and spaces becomes available and in come new boats - many are GRP, some are wood it is a free market and some will choose not pay the premium for the undercover mooring and there are many wooden boats out there not moored in a wet shed which is their choice not a result of being desperate to moor undercover but unable to do so for lack of space, such being selfishly taken up by GRP built boats.

Thank goodness Marina owners look at it in such a way and not bias themselves to a single construction medium as to who could or could not moor there.  Talking of common sense, here is just one possible reason:  Moor undercover so when it is raining and you want to load your boat up for the weekend, you can do so in the dry.

In summery...

All those things some have shaken their heads at which is going on (sometimes needlessly they may think on Independence) is going to happen on the new Sheerline too. Only way more - brace yourself. It is going to get highly annoying for some.

• Like 8
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, Ricardo said:

This is a friendly forum , what's hacking me off about this thread is that just with the maintenance thread the same old folk pop up and tell ever single person that doesn't agree with what they are saying to either shut up or start a new thread n stop as they no doubt believe contaminating something that they are following .

If the original poster of the thread states some thing the that surely should be up for discussion within that thread , as i said its the same people every time that call for this , personally iv nicknamed them wolves as they only hunt in packs never alone , everybody is in my view entitled to as an individual to  like or criticise anyone's comments but they don't  when it comes to tidying up a thread for their own benefit  , as iv always said if you don't like it skip it ,  no one is trying to take over any thread in my eyes but some are dictating what's said on certain threads and that needs to stop IMHO .

My better self says keep quiet and don't rise to the bait. However there is a part of me that feels I need to clarify a couple of matters:

1) I did not suggest a new thread because I disagreed with what was being said. I suggested it because of the way things were being said. I had made no comment on the subject of the thread as I had nothing to add. I felt that negative comments were aimed at Robin because it was a thread he started. In a new thread, positive and negative comments regarding surveys could be made with the emphasis on the surveys themselves, not the personality of the poster.

2) If you believe that I am a part of a pack that hunts like wolves, I am not sure how this works. As far as I know I have only met a couple of people on this forum, then only for two or three minutes, and I doubt they would even remember the encounters.

3) I don't like the tone that has developed in many of the latest posts, so I will "skip it" as you suggest. I will read the thread if it remains interesting to me, but I will not get into any more personal discussions so if you reply to this, I doubt you will get a reply.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

I decided on Independence that I would not need to upgrade the battery bank too much because of the fact she has a large generator and is on shore power. With the Sheerline there is going to be a good chance of extended periods away from the Marina, unable to find a mooring with shore power and not wanting to keep running the engine, I know I cannot have six odd batteries easily and in a boat of this size weight and its distribution  will be a factor too. Despite this, I have plans for a lot of high load equipment to go in, some DC some AC it needs a good capacity of stored power to call upon should the need arise.

Why do you presume so much? I am not guessing on anything I am planning ahead. I have a clear plan that I am going to be following from the simple things like a new electric toilet to having a new Calorifier with 1Kw element in it, these are not needed but add comfort to the boats use, just as if I was to remove the batteries and change their chemistry, the overall capacity or charging system, I have my reasons that will be shared in due course but above all it is my freedom to do as wish even if it makes little sense to others.

It is a Wet Shed - open to all types of craft. First come, first serve GRP, Wood, Ferro-Cement, Aluminium, Steel..anything goes..If there were really that many wooden boat owners so very eager to get in to the limited spaces, I am sure they would be on the waiting list - only no, people come and people go and spaces becomes available and in come new boats - many are GRP, some are wood it is a free market and some will choose not pay the premium for the undercover mooring and there are many wooden boats out there not moored in a wet shed which is their choice not a result of being desperate to moor undercover but unable to do so for lack of space, such being selfishly taken up by GRP built boats.

Thank goodness Marina owners look at it in such a way and not bias themselves to a single construction medium as to who could or could not moor there.  Talking of common sense, here is just one possible reason:  Moor undercover so when it is raining and you want to load your boat up for the weekend, you can do so in the dry.

In summery...

All those things some have shaken their heads at which is going on (sometimes needlessly they may think on Independence) is going to happen on the new Sheerline too. Only way more - brace yourself. It is going to get highly annoying for some.

Robin no matter what anyone says n no matter how much more experience that you they have you will do your own thing I accept that , onecthig you need to accept is that there are a heck of a lot of people on this forum that know exactly what works , boating to most people is not a case of try something and hope for the best n if it doesn't work rip it out n try something else , that costs serous money and more importantly time off the river , myself and countless others follow a pretty similar path in the case of refitting boats , upgrading etc , what I want to know more than anything is why you would ignore that completely out of hand.   fine ignore advice that's your propagative but dispelling the knowledge of others with the relitve experience without even considering it is not just foolhardy but insulting .

Now speaking personally i will not try to help you any longer , I'm at the end of the line with that , as far as I'm concerned you can make your own mistakes where as I am wise enough to know I don't know everything and will listen to others and take onboard their suggestions.  I might not follow them I might choose to follow someone else , but you can guarantee what I do about something I'm not sure of will be based on the knowledge of the person giving the advice and I won't discount anyone until iv  listened to them .

This does not mean I won't help other people on here  as its in my nature to do so so that will still happen.

10 minutes ago, johnb said:

My better self says keep quiet and don't rise to the bait. However there is a part of me that feels I need to clarify a couple of matters:

1) I did not suggest a new thread because I disagreed with what was being said. I suggested it because of the way things were being said. I had made no comment on the subject of the thread as I had nothing to add. I felt that negative comments were aimed at Robin because it was a thread he started. In a new thread, positive and negative comments regarding surveys could be made with the emphasis on the surveys themselves, not the personality of the poster.

2) If you believe that I am a part of a pack that hunts like wolves, I am not sure how this works. As far as I know I have only met a couple of people on this forum, then only for two or three minutes, and I doubt they would even remember the encounters.

3) I don't like the tone that has developed in many of the latest posts, so I will "skip it" as you suggest. I will read the thread if it remains interesting to me, but I will not get into any more personal discussions so if you reply to this, I doubt you will get a reply.

John b , I did not mean you specifically and u resent being told I'm baiting you when all I'm doing is answering you as you quoted me ! , it is true and your more than free to look , but certain members act in pairs and even groups , it happens on forums all the time .

I'm not looking for your reply incidentally but if you qoute me then I believe I have a right to reply to that and state my case ,as that's democratic , 

There have been an equal share of positive an negative comments on this thread and if the OP doest accept that can happen the best not to create the topic in the first place and the same goes for those commenting , if your not n I don't mean you personally I mean in general , prepared to accept that others might see different then don't get involved , I'm more than capable of accepting others views basic on common sense and knowledge , but when someone who has clearly got the knowledge is put down be it me or anyone i recognise as a knowledgeable person  then I will either state my case as I have done tonight or support the said knowledgeable person .

I said this only a few days back that If people  are rinn down go giving advice that in my case is good as I wouldn't give bad advice or speak about something I k ow nothing of ,but if that happens then people will keep things to themselves and refuse to help regardless of if its asked for or not , this forum and most good forums thrive on knowledge being passed on that just how it is no matter what others think , and its a healthy thing to have on a forum as it instills new members and gives them the confidence to a ask questions .

Most of that last part of the thread was mention as a general viewpoint John and not outlined at you in anyway as I have no grievance with you you can be assured of that .

Please chaps, can you please stop this. It’s not all about how experienced people are and what people know necessarily, but respect for others trying to find their own way. None of us are perfect and none of us always follow advice, especially when there’s a range of different views on offer.  Let’s respect that.

• Like 3