Trixie (Rascal's Fleet)

2 hours ago, Londonlad1985 said:

Very "New Wave" super cool! :1311_thumbsup_tone2:

Thanks I did not want it too obvious, just a touch.

Ventilation......are you planning some AC Robin? If so I'd find that jolly interesting, being too hot is one of my pet hates!

I have yes, and had been looking into using one of these:

2545f1220ebca176935cca7620e7d694.jpg

But I now see there is not quite enough space to mount the outdoor unit on the 'lower' part of the superstructure to not interfere with overall air draft - nice idea and would work with a bit of a larger boat but alas I think this is one idea too much.

I have seen air conditioning fitted to a small boat, a Freeman 26, it had a river water heat exchanger so there was a constant stream of water coming out of a hull fitting which would get annoying, especially all the people telling you your bilge pumps are running lol but it did work.

Boats get hot and at night in the summer you have all the Mosquito's and other insects that cannot wait to get in to the boat drawn to it with the cabin lights. Also the windows are tiny and let very little breeze in which often is virtually non-existent on a summer night on the Broads.  I find that uncomfortable, and the 'thick' humid hot air is anything but nice so If I can turn that in a cool, fresh dry air - oh what bliss.

We have a broom 10/70. The domestic battery bank consists of 3 lead acid Lucas batteries with a total output of just over 300 amps. We have a Waeco fridge. The Domestic batteries we have are now 7 years old and still hold their charge well. The cost of replacement at discount rates is just over£300.. We have a bow thruster and the power for that comes off one of the engine starter batteries - a bow thruster is only used very occasionally I cant see the need for a dedicated battery for that. Our previous boat a Lochin 33 had the same system for powering the bow thruster and we never had any problems.

Better spending money upgrading the 90's galley and dated interior rather than tech, im sure that will make more of a difference to mum and partner than an upgraded charger and air con , get them out on the water and save the gadgets for indy 

• Like 1

Jocave - I know the windows let in very little having taken the same boat for a spin last weekend. There are only two windows that open one by the table, one by the sink - then you have the front 'escape hatch' window but that is not on gas struts so will not stay open. The windows are pretty small and the amount they open is small too so your overall ventilation is limited.

I agree the galley area is a let down, along with the upholstery, but a new oven, inset hob and fridge will help.  The moment you begin changing veneers though well, where do you stop? Before you know it you have a full internal refit underway and I find the wood rather cosy and nice as it is. 

7 hours ago, ZimbiIV said:

Paul - that's exactly the jobbie we fitted to No Worries after the first season - one sucking out of the hatch over the forward berth. It made things much more comfortable at night in summer and certainly cut down the condensation all year round. It was fun cutting the hole though, I swear the hatch was 3/8" thick - they built them to last in the 70s! 

ETA: It's still spinning merrily away six years on too - highly recommended.

48 minutes ago, scaniaman said:

Would the Dometic freshwell 3000 aircon system be an possible alternative?

I thought it may be, but no - I could use it if I wanted to have a hole in the hull which in a boat, is not a popular choice. Basically they are meant to vent the heat through the a hole cut in the floor of your caravan/motorhome. Found an interesting series of videos where a chap in Germany installed one - very compact and powerful and I think reasonably priced.

So it looks like I will need a bigger boat if I want to go down that route or have a 'proper marine' system put in, which I am not so keen on as I have experience with the one on Independence. So looks like I'll just use a fan.

18 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Does anyone know if those solar vents make much noise? In the summer the sun can come up pretty early, certainly earlier than I do.

Edited to add, is there any way of operating them from an external switchable power source? that might help in the hot nights.

They have built in rechargeable batteries so can work at night, I know someone who has them and they are very quiet

If you want to know about aircon you have Peachments right there in Brundall and they are experts on it.

We built a class of luxury hire boats with aircon, for France and America and I was the mug who had to try and maintain it, so personally, I wouldn't go there.

If you calculate a ratio of power consumed to air actually conditioned (btu's) it ain't worth it.

I think aircon on boats is fine for expensive Florida marinas, where you are either out for the day with the engines running, or plugged into the bank, where there are always two shore power points - one for the boat, and one bigger one for the aircon!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

If you want to know about aircon you have Peachments right there in Brundall and they are experts on it.

We built a class of luxury hire boats with aircon, for France and America and I was the mug who had to try and maintain it, so personally, I wouldn't go there.

If you calculate a ratio of power consumed to air actually conditioned (btu's) it ain't worth it.

I think aircon on boats is fine for expensive Florida marinas, where you are either out for the day with the engines running, or plugged into the bank, where there are always two shore power points - one for the boat, and one bigger one for the aircon!

I think aircon on boats is fine for expensive Florida marinas

Or Dubai where my last boat was moored, for almost 9 months of the year the a/c was running 24/7.