Trixie (Rascal's Fleet)

17 minutes ago, Philosophical said:

I think aircon on boats is fine for expensive Florida marinas

Or Dubai where my last boat was moored, for almost 9 months of the year the a/c was running 24/7. 

They could generally maintain a 20 degrees C temperature difference between ambient and cabin temp, this could be increased to about 25 C with a full length boat cover that had an air gap between the cabin top & decks,  

Independence has a twin compressor 65,000 BTU system. I can't run the system from the shore power even if I wanted because it draws over 16Amps. But with Indy she just has so much space so you could easily run a portable one on wheels in a cabin and use as needed and as I have one at home I plan to bring it down in the summer to have more economical cooling.

As for Trixie, I think while it would be nice she is just too compact to sensibly have a unit and associated parts that go into a proper marine system - if I was going to look into such I would use JPC in Brundall as I have now had three people talk to me about their services and come highly recommended for heating and how they have dealt with after sales support.

1 hour ago, LondonRascal said:

Independence has a twin compressor 65,000 BTU system. I can't run the system from the shore power even if I wanted because it draws over 16Amps. But with Indy she just has so much space so you could easily run a portable one on wheels in a cabin and use as needed and as I have one at home I plan to bring it down in the summer to have more economical cooling.

As for Trixie, I think while it would be nice she is just too compact to sensibly have a unit and associated parts that go into a proper marine system - if I was going to look into such I would use JPC in Brundall as I have now had three people talk to me about their services and come highly recommended for heating and how they have dealt with after sales support.

Given the duty cycle and workload created with the additional challenge of a 30 degree C plus sea temp needless to say the units didn't last very long so with frequent replacements I learnt a few lessons:

Webasto was best by a long way (on my boat anyway)

Make sure they are 220/240V 50 Hz. some are sold as being suitable for either 50 or 60Hz, which they are not, they are designed for one frequency and "work" (granted but not as well) on the other frequency.  

Whilst replacing a unit, consider a replacement with more capacity, a less hard worked unit will last longer and does not cost that much more (not an issue here in UK but I thought I'd share the experience nevertheless).  

I'm toying with the idea of a/c for my boat in UK , current thinking is that with a couple of manual diverter valves plus safety interlocks, I can use most of the ducting for the Erbaspatcher for the a/c as well instead of installing all new and having to take half the boat to pieces..  

Saturday morning it was off to the Marina office to ask if they had a mooring we could use should we need to for Trixie - they did and since I was a berth holder already they would do a reduced rate for a short term mooring, transferable to a full time mooring should we wish. Or, I could if I moved Independence along and if I could fit Trixie on the quay without causing any issue to the boat astern of Independence moor Trixie there - well that did sound like a perfect solution. The only thing was, I had not actually completed on Trixie.

We duly arrived at St. Olaves Marina and it seemed twice as cold as Brundall - the exposed nature of the Marina and the biting wind cut right through you.  We duly went in the office and a chap who I think may be the owner took us to the boat. She is small, but there was 5 of us onboard and despite the cold outside, she was so cosy inside. Dry, not a touch of mildew or 'musty smells' it was immaculate inside and out. We started the engine up and despite the cold fired to life with no smoke, and the gear box was silky smooth too no clunking and jerking into gear.

My Mum was very excited and keen, Simon was too - Shilea and I were a bit more 'laid back' and I was keen to wrap things up, I asked my Mum and Simon were they happy, to which they said they were and so it was back to the office. It all went a bit 'Norfolk' though, In that I mean I was told I could have a trial or survey but I had said I needed neither, I then asked could I pay the balance now and complete everything there and then, but was told I could do this whenever I wished - in a few days, a week it really did not matter to them. Gosh if they had been any more laid back over things they would be laying down lol what a difference to the 'cut throat' speedy completion on Independence where the Broker was sending me all I needed and pushing for payment.

So I singed the Contract and transferred the balance which you might think meant it was all sorted - urm no, as things stand I have paid all the money over and legally own the boat yet don't have the keys and don't know when I can collect her, I am hoping I can on Monday or Tuesday just as I am hoping that having paid for the boat I am not going to have an issue getting the keys or even a receipt and bill of sale. Talk about living by the seat of your pants.

Anyway the boat is insured in my name as of Saturday and I can get all the administration sorted easily from tolls to moorings on the northern rivers and know I have somewhere I can keep her for the time being. She really is a cute and comfy little boat we took some footage so when I am back home I hope to be able to share this with a long awaited general update as to Independence which I have also been working on this weekend but the cold is really stopping me doing a bunch of outdoor things and she really needs a good wash as the snow we had previously seems to have left a sort of dirty dusty residue everywhere.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I hope all goes well Robin but I have to admit alarm bells are ringing. I seem to remember a boat dealer (no not yours) getting a reputation for selling boats that were missing equipment that was present when the boat was viewd. Things as significant as Central heating units and fridges.

Nooo I'm not saying that because I might need a new fridge and central heating unit, though the selfish side of me hopes they don't remove the loo!

As it was a Saturday the brokers may have needed to wait until Monday morning for the bank/accounts department to confirm they have your funds cleared into their account, before they release the keys and title documents.  

Hopefully all will be fine. 

• Like 1

Monday cometh and the call was made . The reply was sharpish and to the point, lots of things to catch up on and they had not had time to check the bank account but would do so after lunch and call me back.

I had no call. I did however get a two line email confirming all funds had been received and that now I should have the boat insured in my name as the seller was cancelling his policy. Well, I guess that was good to know however I still am no further forward as to when the boat can be collected or having a bill of sale. I am somewhere in between in a strange place having paid for a boat in full but not yet having got the boat. Let's see what Tuesday brings.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, psychicsurveyor said:

A stern phone call I suspect :default_smiley-angelic002:

That's one way of winding them up I guess , personally I would have paid a deposit like most do a bacs transfer is same day anyways and secure for both party's and costs nothing , that said I does strike me as a very unusual way of completion on a deal and I would have expected much more from a broker but on less this dealership has changed hands in the last few yrs then I'm fully aware of who yiu are dealing with having been down that road a long time ago .

The email should be good enough with proof of funds transfer should something happen before you get your paws on said boat Robin. Hope your Mum enjoys it. I love the way you are so trusting. I spend my life planning on what could possible go wrong. Not always the best way to relax.

If ownership has to be transferred from the previous owner to the broker (whom you paid) and then from the broker to you it could take a few days for the "official" Bill of Sale to materialise. However by today I would expect an invoice and a receipt and be able to collect the boat.

23 minutes ago, Philosophical said:

If ownership has to be transferred from the previous owner to the broker (whom you paid) and then from the broker to you it could take a few days for the "official" Bill of Sale to materialise. However by today I would expect an invoice and a receipt and be able to collect the boat.

Unless the broker is actually a dealer not a broker, then the Bill of Sale will be from the previous owner straight into robins name.  

6 hours ago, Ricardo said:

That's one way of winding them up I guess , personally I would have paid a deposit like most do a bacs transfer is same day anyways and secure for both party's and costs nothing , that said I does strike me as a very unusual way of completion on a deal and I would have expected much more from a broker but on less this dealership has changed hands in the last few yrs then I'm fully aware of who yiu are dealing with having been down that road a long time ago .

Robin has done a transfer though hasn’t he? It still won’t have show or be cleared until a weekday.

The Bill of Sale might take time for the vendor to sign and return, but no idea why the Brokers can’t release the keys, so Robin can move the and forward the title documents on later. 

Unless the broker is actually a dealer not a broker, then the Bill of Sale will be from the previous owner straight into robins name.  

So maybe the previous owner is waiting for funds to be transferred into his account before signing the BoS. Still does not explain why the boat cannot be collected as I understand it was bought "as is where is" so nothing is outstanding.  

No idea either why Robin can’t have keys and collect the boat. 

Some vendors do ‘want’ the funds in their account rather than the brokers ‘client account’ before the boat leaves. But this actually isn’t a requirement, as the brokers are his acting as the vendors agents.

So it seems like nothing should prevent Robin being able to take the boat?