First Night On The Broads

Vicmarie

After putting a post on the Independence thread that I had had a few weeks on the Broads over the last 25 years I thought about the dates, soon realised that it is actually 30 years since that first night and it is easily remembered. October 87 and that storm, we got on board our new boat at Bells yard Brundall and decided to have our first night at Loddon under the trees moored stern to. Up in the night tightening ropes with blue lights flashing in the distance. No way that anyone was going to sleep.

Let's just say it is not easily forgotten, pre mobile phones we thought it was confined to Norfolk. It was only when we returned home to Watford 3 or 4 days later that we realised how bad it had been. Neil

• Like 3

My first day of full time work was on the day after the "Great Storm" in October 1987. I was a newly graduated Engineering Geologist and had accepted a position with a Norwich based site investigation and piling contractor. I was to meet my new boss at Trowse and then we were going to travel to Fakenham for a day's trial pitting for a new commercial development. We couldn't get out of Norwich, trees were down across all the major routes to the north and west, so we gave in and went back to the office for a cuppa.

It must have been pretty horrendous on a boat!!

You maybe  are unique Vicmarie. there can't be many others (or any) who spent their first night on a boat that night.

Anyway, as if any one cares, Mrs W and I, first night on a boat at Salhouse, a beautiful June evening, we had no idea where we were going and ended up there. Turned out good.

The first night of our first trip in recent years was June 2012 at Brammerton Common. A couple on a privately owned boat called out instructions to us as we were coming into moor. And they helped tie the ropes. That set the tone for a wonderful week and many more return trips.

• Like 1

Our first night on The Broads was 4th July 2015 (I think it a shame that we didn’t discover The Broads earlier). Anyway, it was magical. We were on Wood Violet from the Hunter’s Yard fleet. It had been one of the hottest days of the year and we were mud-weighted on Hickling Broad on a very warm and still evening. 

Helen

• Like 5

we spent our first night mudweighted in a little side bay in the narrow part of the entrance to South Walsham Broad, that was the night I got up and stepped out of the bed into wet floor. after ascertaining the boat wasnt sinking we slept through and phoned Horizon boats in the morning, they asked if we could pop back to the yard, which we did, only to find the fresh water pump was leaking and had emptied the water tank into the bilges. a couple of hours later a new pump had been fitted the water tank filled and the carpets dried out and we were back on our way.

Not my first night on the broads but one of the more memorable was being moored on the quayhead along from Martham Boats waiting to be lifted out. Its quite exposed along there and the wind always blows across the fields no matter what the weather is doing elsewhere in the country. Anyway, it was late October and had been raining all day just to make everything nice and slippery before the wind got up about towards midnight.

It blew an absolute hooley of course. The boat was being thrown against the quay with the fenders screaming and then back out into the river ready for the next assult. I was in the front cabin in the berth that 'didnt leak as much as the rest of them' (new cabin sides were on the list to do once out the water) listening to the wind howling, the fenders playing football against the hull constantly and the drip drip into the saucepans in the bed opposite me!

The first attention getter was the sound of splintering wood from the aft deck. Up and out into the cockpit to discover the aft spring lines cleat had pulled out of the already rotten deck (also on the list, lol) but confident the doubler would hold on the 'good' side. The bigger crash was the dinghy, previously taken out the water and on the bank, catching the hull as it was returned to from where it came. I didnt get up figuring I wasnt about to chase it down the river in the pitch black. It had a name on it, someone would find it in the morning.

Then the canopy on the yacht behind me let go turning into a proper flappy thing partially attached to a flappy thing. I have never been so keen to see daylight.

The following morning I found the dinghy. It must have landed on its side in the water because it was sunk under the boat. The only clue was its painter that had caught a mooring rope on the way past and was somewhat tight leading into the water. Of course, the day before, I had removed all the bouyancy tank lids to dry the condensation out ready to trailer it home... typical eh?

All in all an excellent night :default_biggrin:

• Like 4

Our first night was aboard Sanderling from Sandersons in Reedham, 3rd March 1973. We picked up the boat and were off on our way around 2pm. Our first night stop was to be at Yarmouth Yacht Station so en-route we stopped off for a moment at Berney Arms to practice mooring. That went well so we were soon heading for Yarmouth. I remember that I had checked low water times and it was around 4pm so perfect for us. (See- some people did read the Blakes Handbook they sent with the booking invoice). We passed around the black and yellow post and headed up the Bure. At that time of the year there were few boats about so we could choose our mooring spot. We headed for what is now the emergency mooring area just past the road bridge. I stepped ashore and tied the bow rope, only to watch the back swing completely 180 degrees due to the tide flowing in at that time. I remember both of us collapsing in laughter as this happened, before we tied up safely "the other way around". I had a graphic lesson on why the tide can be friend or foe on my first day on the Broads.

Funny how ageing affects your attitude to unexpected events. I know if that "manoeuvre" had happened to me today, I certainily would not be laughing - more like my heart would be in my mouth! Also, crossing Breydon and passing through Yarmouth on our first visit removed all fear of this fabled passage. We have always gone north to south/south to north on each holiday on the Broads since then. TO ME, all the warnings given for the passage always seem over the top. 

An image of Sanderling is below - probably not from 1973

2011-07-08_49.JPG

• Like 7

1982 the first week in August, a friend had borrowed the company Broads cruiser, for his family to stay on during Horning Regatta week, I was invited to take a spare berth.

Yes the company he worked for had a broads motor cruiser, even though the business wasn't broads related, but it was based in Norwich. Sadly he is no longer with us having left at an early age.

Following that for many years my stays were less comfortable in my 17ft Lysander sailing boat, only for the last ten years have I been back in the comfort of a motorboat.

• Like 1

On 15/03/2018 at 17:21, chrisdobson45 said:

My first day of full time work was on the day after the "Great Storm" in October 1987. I was a newly graduated Engineering Geologist and had accepted a position with a Norwich based site investigation and piling contractor. I was to meet my new boss at Trowse and then we were going to travel to Fakenham for a day's trial pitting for a new commercial development. We couldn't get out of Norwich, trees were down across all the major routes to the north and west, so we gave in and went back to the office for a cuppa.

It must have been pretty horrendous on a boat!!

Yes pretty hairy, remember driving towards the A11 out of Norwich and it seemed like every tree was laying by the side of the road. Luckily all the trees in Loddon were swaying in the wind but staying upright.

8 hours ago, JanetAnne said:

Not my first night on the broads but one of the more memorable was being moored on the quayhead along from Martham Boats waiting to be lifted out. Its quite exposed along there and the wind always blows across the fields no matter what the weather is doing elsewhere in the country. Anyway, it was late October and had been raining all day just to make everything nice and slippery before the wind got up about towards midnight.

It blew an absolute hooley of course. The boat was being thrown against the quay with the fenders screaming and then back out into the river ready for the next assult. I was in the front cabin in the berth that 'didnt leak as much as the rest of them' (new cabin sides were on the list to do once out the water) listening to the wind howling, the fenders playing football against the hull constantly and the drip drip into the saucepans in the bed opposite me!

The first attention getter was the sound of splintering wood from the aft deck. Up and out into the cockpit to discover the aft spring lines cleat had pulled out of the already rotten deck (also on the list, lol) but confident the doubler would hold on the 'good' side. The bigger crash was the dinghy, previously taken out the water and on the bank, catching the hull as it was returned to from where it came. I didnt get up figuring I wasnt about to chase it down the river in the pitch black. It had a name on it, someone would find it in the morning.

Then the canopy on the yacht behind me let go turning into a proper flappy thing partially attached to a flappy thing. I have never been so keen to see daylight.

The following morning I found the dinghy. It must have landed on its side in the water because it was sunk under the boat. The only clue was its painter that had caught a mooring rope on the way past and was somewhat tight leading into the water. Of course, the day before, I had removed all the bouyancy tank lids to dry the condensation out ready to trailer it home... typical eh?

All in all an excellent night :default_biggrin:

That does sound like a night to remember, we were lucky in that there were no canopies on the boat and Loddon is quite tucked away.

Our first night on the Broads was spent on a Hampton Safari which we had hired from Ripplecraft at Somerleyton in September 1982 or thereabouts. We loaded our gear on board in heavy rain and wind. Then it was time for our river trial, by which point you couldn't see your hand in front of your face for rain and murk.  We landed the  boatyard guy, soaked to the skin, and set off up the New Cut towards Reedham, where we arrived at around 5 pm. We went up and down the quay, but  boats were double-moored all the way down. Eventually someone took pity on us and offered to let us moor alongside them.   After  tying up and sampling the various hostelries of Reedham, we spent a pleasant night triple-moored on the river. All things considered, not something I would willingly do today.

• Like 1

My first night was May 1964, my father hired Powles Rippling Foam we moored at Ranworth  

We had a great holiday,dad was ex navy and could handle a boat well

My uncle. Who came with us never got the hang of boat handling and never went on a boat again.

Ray

• Like 1

My first night on the Broads was July 1976, aboard Golden Arrow from Pearson Marine (Reedham), I was 10 years old. We cruised to Oulton Broad and managed to moor side on in a small boatyard (Kevincraft?) where access to the delights of Oulton Broad Main Street was via a wooden plank bridge over a very muddy dyke. My mother was less than impressed, especially about the return journey in the dark after a few drinks in The Lady of the Lake. She slept in a big yellow buoyancy jacket for the first two or three nights....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Our first night on the Broads was 1996. We had hired a Wilds Bermuda from Horning, and spent the first night on Ranworth Broad. This was my wife’s first experience of boating holidays, and she was also pregnant with our son, but neither put her off, and so we have been boating together ever since.

• Like 3

Great thread, I've enjoyed reading the stories. 

My first night on the Broads was 14 August 1981 and I was 10 years old. We hired from Norfolk Broads Yachting Company in Wroxham. As a first time hirer and having hardly ever piloted a boat before, my Dad took us straight through Wroxham Bridge (no pilot in those days). We cruised to Coltishall and then after at least one aborted mooring attempt coming back downstream finished up taking the last space at the Wroxham viaduct moorings. As we came in to moor I was stood on the stern and threw the rope to my mother who'd stepped ashore. I think I mistakenly kept hold of the rope and as she pulled it taut I ended up falling in off the stern. Fortunately I was wearing a life jacket and I was fine. I wasn't put off in the slightest and I was in it for life from that day on. 

• Like 5

Our first night was April 1982. We picked the boat up from Brundall (Sunday lunchtime) and after the trial run set off down the Yare and up the Chet. The Chedgrave Common moorings were empty so we managed to moor up there quite easily at the first attempt. I remember buying some eggs from one of the houses that are across the field behind the moorings. Funny the things you remember from long ago. 

• Like 2

My first night that I remember anyway was spent on a Gold Gem from Richardson's, being allowed to stay up late and fishing on my dad's lap. A wild mooring on the Ant, I remember thinking how special it all was. My Dad was drinking a beer and I was allowed a little of it in my lemonade. For a little girl of six, having 'beer' and fishing at night with my Dad I thought I was so grown up and the bees knees Lol  All you could hear was the fish jumping and the breeze rustling the trees. That was one special night for me, I fell in love with the place then and just as in love with it now.

Grace

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Our first night aboard was on the then brand new Aston Orion from Loddon on 6th June 1970. We arrived a bit later in the afternoon, got aboard, trial cruise done, then set off. We reached Reedham and were double moored to hire boat called "Mocking Bird" near the small slipway nearer the Ship public house, and were laying in bed when we heard a hireboat go by, lights on and the crew singing away, due to a night in the pub. I was 12 on that day, but became 13 the following Sunday morning.

Our 1st night was on Silver Gem we had for the weekend, We got as far as Ludham Bridge and Kaz jumped off the front and slipped then fell straight down. This wasn't good as i'm used to stood on the back with a tiller so mooring a tupperware was new to me at the front.

The 2nd night we ended up at the mouth to Ransworth moored on the right next to the entrance to the chained off area, It was really hot and still had the top back at 1am due to the heat and sunk a good few drinks. We still class this as our best night on board.

• Like 1