Countryfile Awards. Did The Broads Win?

JennyMorgan

I understand your sadness, Loo, but I do wonder what the outcome might have been had the Broads won? The door would have been opened for well placed questions, not least in the media. Had the Broads been entered in a competition for 'members of the national park's family' then, whilst a few might have questioned it, there would really have been no sound reason for objection. Indeed the uniqueness of the Broads could have been emphasised and celebrated. It strikes me that Doctor John, for all the wrong reasons, misplayed his cards. 

On another tack, and perhaps playing devil's advocate, because of the valid complaints regarding the use of the faux national park title by Dr Packman, just perhaps it was thought better that the Broads should effectively come third? The result has certainly saved Countryfile Magazine from a raft of criticism. Just a few thoughts, perhaps paranoia is setting in! 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

I understand your sadness, Loo, but I do wonder what the outcome might have been had the Broads won? The door would have been opened for well placed questions, not least in the media. Had the Broads been entered in a competition for 'members of the national park's family' then, whilst a few might have questioned it, there would really have been no sound reason for objection. Indeed the uniqueness of the Broads could have been emphasised and celebrated. It strikes me that Doctor John, for all the wrong reasons, misplayed his cards. 

On another tack, and perhaps playing devil's advocate, because of the valid complaints regarding the use of the faux national park title by Dr Packman, just perhaps it was thought better that the Broads should effectively come third? The result has certainly saved Countryfile Magazine from a raft of criticism. Just a few thoughts, perhaps paranoia is setting in! 

I think Countryfile will be quite used to small 'fringe' pressure groups because everything they do is under public scrutiny. 

I think you flatter yourself considerably if you imagine they give a monkeys. 

• Like 2

Maybe, maybe not, Bill. However, there are those that would have welcomed a win because it would have opened an ever popular door, in some quarters, in being able to criticise 'Aunty'. The editor of the magazine is clearly no fool. We can only guess. Opinions, each to their own.

21 minutes ago, JohnK said:

With a bit of luck BA will put up tolls, spend the extra cash promoting the Broads as a National Park and win the next one.
Maybe it’s time to let this one go people emoji57.png

Can we really and honestly take the risk, John?

Let the CountryFile competition drop, by all means, but not our guards.

• Like 2

Can we really and honestly take the risk, John?
Let the CountryFile competition drop, by all means, but not our guards.

I’d say keep guard up and keep watching by all means.
As soon as new evidence or a change of direction away from “we are definitely not seeking full National Park status” I’m sure we’ll all be with you. I certainly will be.
  • Thanks 1

On 3/16/2018 at 10:40, JennyMorgan said:

I understand your sadness, Loo, but I do wonder what the outcome might have been had the Broads won? The door would have been opened for well placed questions, not least in the media.

I doubt the media would give a flying fanny, if they even knew the difference between "A Member ........" and a "National Park"

• Haha 1

Oh dear, John, don't let's go down this path yet again. The goal has been clearly recorded and stated within Broads Authority visions, reports, agenda, minutes and literature over the years. Leopards don't change their spots!

I don’t disagree at all JM. I don’t want to go over it again ... but ...
I’m very much playing devils advocate but it is your opinion and you know some other people have different opinions on what JP is trying to achieve.
I’m not even saying you’re wrong, it just scares me when people present opinion as fact.
You’re very much respected here and elsewhere as far as I can tell (including very much by me) but I do think you should make it clear when something is your opinion rather than a fact (in my opinion ).

I understand I’m in the minority but I’m not sure what to do.
If I’m going to post here I am going to post that I disagree with something if I do.
But if people would rather not have the accepted opinion challenged here that’s fair enough. Is that the case?

HI all,been watching this thread with interest.My initial thought was that maybe some members may have been too hard on the authority.but if you look closely at the peer review,on another thread, its clear that BA has some structural and governance problems. I think that they have bigger problems than marketing to address and perhaps JM`s opinions would appear to be all too accurate.

paul 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

First Aid Nursing Yeomanry.

Never mind, it does not detract from the thrust of your argument!  :default_swordpir:

I think we should remember that Peter has been himself a member of the BA and knows the people concerned personally. So he has a lot more right to his suspicions than we have.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1