Broadshaven Tavern

Chelsea14Ian

For their own sakes I hope that they paint the fascia and modernise the outside, like get rid of that tired 1970's blockwork and the white plastic garden chairs. Good luck to them but it has to look inviting.

Banner and block-work still there this morning. Chair gone.

Has anyone been in there yet? It seems an odd way of opening a new venture, no advertising, no big signs outside etc. They have a good location but the fact that it is open seems almost a secret.

I can't help thinking of Royston Vasey!

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Does anyone know who owns the pub,and have they a background in the business?

It was owned by Punch but I suspect that they've sold it. Word on the rhond (or last I heard) it is being run by a Greek guy who has set up a pizza delivery business operating from the pub kitchen. No collection, only delivery. I don't know about previous pub experience, my guess would be not a lot but let's wait and see! 

• Like 1

It was owned by Punch but I suspect that they've sold it. Word on the rhond (or last I heard) it is being run by a Greek guy who has set up a pizza delivery business operating from the pub kitchen. No collection, only delivery. I don't know about previous pub experience, my guess would be not a lot but let's wait and see! 

I think you’re partially right but I’m only going on word of mouth so you may be completely right (or wrong )
I believe he has an existing pub or restaurant in Great Yarmouth. Based on what he drives it must be reasonably successful (at least that’s my guess).
Apparently he’s spent a lot of money on the inside of the Broads Haven but dispute with the BA is holding up the outside.
I’m only passing on what I heard, don’t hold me to it or shoot the messenger
  • Like 3

That's interesting JK - I do seem to recall a restaurant being mentioned now you reminded me so it does seem to make up the picture. I'm always cautious about what I hear through word of mouth, so it's always good to get some corroboration so to speak. I'll await developments with interest! 

• Like 1

There’s some interesting stuff on Trip Adviser.
They claim they had or have five similar businesses in London.
They also claim to be spending over half a million on the place.
Most of that info is in response to people leaving bad reviews. Some two years after it closed

Latest local info is they’re opening Wednesday with bottled beer only (let down by supplier).

• Like 1

Thanks John. If they are spending half a million that is serious investment. Please keep us posted!

Will do.
I have no idea if any of it’s true but I’ll pass on what I hear.
Although back to real life now ... I left Potter this evening, work tomorrow ☹️ so I’ll only see what people post on our FB group.
  • Like 1

A dispute with the planners, now there is a surprise!! 

It is for me (but you knew I’d say that).
I’ve been involved with the BA planning department over a board walk, fitting AC and a potential extension.
They couldn’t have been more helpful.

22 hours ago, JohnK said:

It is for me (but you knew I’d say that).
I’ve been involved with the BA planning department over a board walk, fitting AC and a potential extension.
They couldn’t have been more helpful.

I've had and know of both favourable and unfavourable experiences. It's worth Googling Thorpe Island & Jenners though!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

I've had and know of both favourable and unfavourable experiences. It's worth Googling Thorpe Island & Jenners though!

only if you've a few weeks of your life you won't woory about loosing, those threads go on forever!!!

2 hours ago, TheQ said:
3 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

only if you've a few weeks of your life you won't woory about loosing, those threads go on forever!!!

And a very high boredom tolerance. 

• Haha 1

I started reading then luckily realised I don’t care enough and life is too short
I hate having to try and figure out the angle of the author. I broadly (sorry) trust the BBC but few other news sources.

33 minutes ago, JohnK said:

I started reading then luckily realised I don’t care enough and life is too short

If it had affected your way of life on the riverbank you might feel differently.

It is worth your while having a closer look at that thread, to see the tactics employed by the BA planners to achieve their ends. Abandonment of ancient permission, change of use, lack of road access, development in a newly designated "conservation" area of natural beauty, etc., etc.

Imagine how you might feel if those "principles" started to be applied to the holiday bungalow properties along the banks of the Thurne at Potter Heigham. It would not be the first time, in my memory, that they have had to fight the authorities for their existence.

There is already a threat to continued access to the public staithe, which could have far reaching consequences in future, if its existence is not defended by the locals.

• Like 1

If it had affected your way of life on the riverbank you might feel differently.
It is worth your while having a closer look at that thread, to see the tactics employed by the BA planners to achieve their ends. Abandonment of ancient permission, change of use, lack of road access, development in a newly designated "conservation" area of natural beauty, etc., etc.
Imagine how you might feel if those "principles" started to be applied to the holiday bungalow properties along the banks of the Thurne at Potter Heigham. It would not be the first time, in my memory, that they have had to fight the authorities for their existence.

I do completely agree with you. Mine was a flippant comment and I apologise for it. No excuses.

My problem is I take as I find, not as people tell me.
Even if I read everything from start to finish I wouldn’t be convinced either way because I’d assume forum posters, journalists etc may have a hidden agenda.
This is why I’m quite positive about the BA generally because every single interaction I’ve had with them has been positive. I get that a lot of people don’t have that same experience or opinion. It’s just mine. I’m not claiming I’m right and they’re wrong.

6 minutes ago, JohnK said:

I do completely agree with you. Mine was a flippant comment and I apologise for it. No excuses.

No problem John!

It's just that the BA planning dept's treatment of the landowner and those who depended on him for their way of life, as residential boat owners was, shall we say, definitely not their finest hour!

I am very glad that you are getting on well with the BA and long may it continue. I think you need to know, all the same, that the history of the riverside properties at Potter has been rather tenuous, over the years.

No problem John!
It's just that the BA planning dept's treatment of the landowner and those who depended on him for their way of life, as residential boat owners was, shall we say, definitely not their finest hour!
I am very glad that you are getting on well with the BA and long may it continue. I think you need to know, all the same, that the history of the riverside properties at Potter has been rather tenuous, over the years.

Thanks Vaughan.
I’m (very) slowly learning some of the history of the riverside properties. Very interesting stuff.
  • Like 1