New Member Aristotle

Aristotle

Just wanted to say hello to everyone - just joined today!

Aristotle is my alter-ego, my real identity being Socrates but there appears to already be someone on the forum using this id :14_relaxed:.

Once I've read the guidelines and understand the protocols I'm hoping to post news of the extensive restoration project that should see the 1926 Press Brothers yacht Kenmure back in the water later this year....... watch this space!

IMG_6171.thumb.JPG.35fa5a56da3e511a9efdf7faad04bc1a.JPG

• Like 11

2 hours ago, grendel said:

welcome Aristotle, well we now have two great greek philosophers, both renovating old wooden boats, this should be good to follow.

Careful, we don't want too much on our plato.

Sorry Aristotle, you will get used to me. :-)   Welcome.

Excellent Aristotle! Kenmure is Brilliant's nearest 'living relative' and I noticed she was for sale. The pics look as though you have got her looking good, more please!

Brilliant was built by Press in 1929 and is a bit longer than yours, just by a couple of lockers midships internally. She's ashore having surgery at present but we hope to have her afloat later in the season. 

I believe your name derives from her first private owner, is that what you have been told?

We met her previous owners once, it would be great to meet up with you at some point. :594c04f0e761f_default_AnimatedGifVehiclessaily:

Thank you all for such a:default_arms:  (huge) welcome - I am overwhelmed (and that doesn't happen very often!). I'd like to respond to one or two individuals:

MorrisMynah: That's my kind of humour :8_laughing: - Oh dear, is that the quiet sound of sinking hearts in the rest of the forum :2_grimacing:

Polly: I was aware of the close relationship between Brilliant and Kenmure - it would be great to meet up - there doesn't seem to be many Press brothers yachts left now.  Kenmure has an "identical twin" which is the subject of a thread in the other place. Just search on "Kenmure AND Pearl". For the avoidance of confusion, the soubriquet "Kenmure" is Kenmure's previous owner, "Socrates" is me (hence my comment in my original post here!).

The name Kenmure is interesting and is part of a number of strange coincidences that I will go into on the restoration thread. The previous owners did a lot of research into the history of Kenmure and her original owner, all of which they have passed on to me - I think it includes a photo of Kenmure  and Brilliant sailing together!

The photo at the start of this thread is before the start of the restoration! As will become apparent, the project (and the cost) has expanded hugely from the original plan - but no-one owns a classic boat, we only have temporary stewardship and have to use our best endeavours to keep them alive (at least that's what I keep telling myself :43_slight_frown:).

BroadAmbition: The shed is Cox's at Barton Turf - proof, if proof were needed, that most of the restoration is being done professionally - I cannot claim to be doing anything other than very minor (i.e. unskilled) bits myself. I think Cox's have done work on Brilliant in the past as well!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi again.

Just as a clarification; the work done on Brilliant at Cox's was a DIY project using their base, and not the yard's own work.

There is another, older, Press Cruiser associated with NBF, the Flash, owned by Jenny Morgan's daughter. No doubt he will be along with details soon, but I think I am right in saying this is an 1890's boat.