Must Have

Betty1

Having bought a boat I have quite an extensive list of things I would like. Bow thruster, electric winch for the mud weight, new canopy. What would you add to a boat to either make life easier or because it's shiny and looks good. It has a solar panel but will be updated.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

I think it depends on a number of factors and this is just my own opinion because everyone will have their own 'take' on things.

Firstly what the boat was valued at when you bought it. If you have an already very good example of the class, then you would have bought at the top end of the market. In such a case anything you may add to it, will not add much if any actual value to the boat - but may make it an even more desirable boat when the time comes to sell, thus selling faster and achieving a good price.

If you bought a boat that was far cheaper because it had not got items already added to it, or was in need of works being done then anything you put in will increase the boats value and also make the boat as desirable  as those other classes of your same model which likewise have undergone refurbishment etc.

I have recently bought a Sheerline 740 Aft Cockpit. She was on the market for £29,950 and I bought it for £28,500. I deem that to have been excessive, but that is me wanting to grab the boat while I could (it had only been on the market for 6 days). Now the same boat but in far more basic form, is for sale with Richardson's Boat Sales for £17,950. If I had bought this one I could have had a 'budget' of £10,550for improvements and could have had all the little things like the bow thruster, anchor winch, new canopy, new cockpit seating, spot lamp, and pulpit rails added but I would still have a boat that was and always would be 'ex hire' and which was not in original gel coat or in as fine cosmetic condition overall.

Since purchase I have spent £241.00 on new batteries and fuel, and £368.00 on other items - new and longer shore power lead, new bulbs, battery monitor, fender lines and dock lines and cleaning products. I have the boat booked in for more works to be undertaken and that will likely rise to £3,500 to £4,000. This before we get to grips with updated the interior with new upholstery, a possible new fridge and electric macerating toilet.

No matter the boats initial condition there is always room to add, upgrade, refurbish and generally improve. It all comes down to the owners choice on what (if anything) to do to the boat and if they do go down the road to upgrades what they may be.  I would concentrate on the essential items first like if there are any electrical issues, or mechanical ones and then work outward to cosmetic improvements to make life onboard better. 

If you have a fair bit of items that draw from your battery bank when away from shore power a decent solar panel or two is a good bet, a bow thruster would be trickier (but very doable) to fit on a forward steer boat such as you own but would be mounted a fair bit back from the bow than more 'pointy' boats would have them. 

For upholstery, carpeting, canopies etc you may like to have a look at one of the Forum supporters - Trimnet. Based in Kent, but able to come and visit you in Norfolk to template and estimate

My advice would be keep your money in your pocket for now! By the end of your first season with her you will know what you want by way of upgrades and their order of priority.

• Like 8

Never see much point of a bow thruster on most Broads boats, but that is a very personal opinion which most will disagree with. However they do serve a purpose, which is to warn other people that a boat is approaching a mooring. 

I will now put my tin hat and wait for the incoming flack!

I would start with the bottom of the boat and work up. Make sure the hull is sound, along with the associated fittings. Then look at the decks to ensure they are water tight, in good condition and not likely to cave in when you step on them. Following that, the windows, sides and doors. Are they water tight and do they shut properly? At the same time I would make sure the boat is actually safe before venturing on the water or staying overnight. Check for gas leaks and ensure the required certification is in place, along with fire fighting equipment. A new gas regulator? 

The engine - that is important! A good service by a reputable engineer. Get the electrics thoroughly checked and wires replaced. Maybe new batteries?

Water and fuel tanks will need to be inspected, cleaned and maybe even replaced.

What about the cooker and fridge? Toilet and shower? 

Lastly, the internal soft furnishings, carpets etc. Especially so if the previous owners had dogs on board. 

Haven't even got to the gadgets and toys and your bank balance will have taken a massive hit! 

Mooring ropes and fenders need to be in good condition, don't forget the cleats and fender eyes, check they are firmly fitted.

The list is endless. Radar, Sonar and a Harpoon surface to surface missile system would be useful during the height of the summer season. 

I would just like a TV this year so  I can watch the Word Cup! 

Look forward to meeting you sometime and hope you enjoy your new boat. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We bought ours knowing what we wanted to do straight away and budgeted accordingly. This was fitting a holding tank and having hinges fitted to the arch so we can go under Ludham bridge and others. They were priority.   The next big expense is the canopy which will just have to wait. Mooring fees, toll, and the up and coming electricity bill this month has taken our boat fund down  to not a lot.

Being new owners, we now just want to potter about getting used to the boat and build funds back up again and reassess our wish list. We have done a few cheaper things like fender lines and new ropes. The bargain was the flooring. Lino from Carpetright. Yes, we wanted teak but couldnt justify the expense. Everyone so far has been impressed with the flooring. (£60)

wishes - oven but we have a microwave and hob, new upholstery but its in good condition, just a bit 1980's lol, new upholstery at the back but we have dogs so probably best not to do this as ill just worry it will get wrecked.

one absolute must for our peace of mind - boat recovery service inc prop cover. 

Whatever boat we have we will always have a dehumidifier. Best money we could have spent 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, socrates said:

Never see much point of a bow thruster on most Broads boats, but that is a very personal opinion which most will disagree with. However they do serve a purpose, which is to warn other people that a boat is approaching a mooring. 

What a line that was, made my day :default_biggrin:

I think it depends on a number of factors and this is just my own opinion because everyone will have their own 'take' on things.

Firstly what the boat was valued at when you bought it. If you have an already very good example of the class, then you would have bought at the top end of the market. In such a case anything you may add to it, will not add much if any actual value to the boat - but may make it an even more desirable boat when the time comes to sell, thus selling faster and achieving a good price.

If you bought a boat that was far cheaper because it had not got items already added to it, or was in need of works being done then anything you put in will increase the boats value and also make the boat as desirable  as those other classes of your same model which likewise have undergone refurbishment etc.

I have recently bought a Sheerline 740 Aft Cockpit. She was on the market for £29,950 and I bought it for £28,500. I deem that to have been excessive, but that is me wanting to grab the boat while I could (it had only been on the market for 6 days). Now the same boat but in far more basic form, is for sale with Richardson's Boat Sales for £17,950. If I had bought this one I could have had a 'budget' of £10,550for improvements and could have had all the little things like the bow thruster, anchor winch, new canopy, new cockpit seating, spot lamp, and pulpit rails added but I would still have a boat that was and always would be 'ex hire' and which was not in original gel coat or in as fine cosmetic condition overall.

Since purchase I have spent £241.00 on new batteries and fuel, and £368.00 on other items - new and longer shore power lead, new bulbs, battery monitor, fender lines and dock lines and cleaning products. I have the boat booked in for more works to be undertaken and that will likely rise to £3,500 to £4,000. This before we get to grips with updated the interior with new upholstery, a possible new fridge and electric macerating toilet.

No matter the boats initial condition there is always room to add, upgrade, refurbish and generally improve. It all comes down to the owners choice on what (if anything) to do to the boat and if they do go down the road to upgrades what they may be.  I would concentrate on the essential items first like if there are any electrical issues, or mechanical ones and then work outward to cosmetic improvements to make life onboard better. 

If you have a fair bit of items that draw from your battery bank when away from shore power a decent solar panel or two is a good bet, a bow thruster would be trickier (but very doable) to fit on a forward steer boat such as you own but would be mounted a fair bit back from the bow than more 'pointy' boats would have them. 

For upholstery, carpeting, canopies etc you may like to have a look at one of the Forum supporters - Trimnet. Based in Kent, but able to come and visit you in Norfolk to template and estimate

Thank you.

I will now put my tin hat and wait for the incoming flack!
I would start with the bottom of the boat and work up. Make sure the hull is sound, along with the associated fittings. Then look at the decks to ensure they are water tight, in good condition and not likely to cave in when you step on them. Following that, the windows, sides and doors. Are they water tight and do they shut properly? At the same time I would make sure the boat is actually safe before venturing on the water or staying overnight. Check for gas leaks and ensure the required certification is in place, along with fire fighting equipment. A new gas regulator? 
The engine - that is important! A good service by a reputable engineer. Get the electrics thoroughly checked and wires replaced. Maybe new batteries?
Water and fuel tanks will need to be inspected, cleaned and maybe even replaced.
What about the cooker and fridge? Toilet and shower? 
Lastly, the internal soft furnishings, carpets etc. Especially so if the previous owners had dogs on board. 
Haven't even got to the gadgets and toys and your bank balance will have taken a massive hit! 
Mooring ropes and fenders need to be in good condition, don't forget the cleats and fender eyes, check they are firmly fitted.

The list is endless. Radar, Sonar and a Harpoon surface to surface missile system would be useful during the height of the summer season. 
I would just like a TV this year so  I can watch the Word Cup! 
Look forward to meeting you sometime and hope you enjoy your new boat. 

I have on order torpedo tubes. Lol. The boat was cheap enough so I have a budget of £20000 for improvements and updates.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We bought ours knowing what we wanted to do straight away and budgeted accordingly. This was fitting a holding tank and having hinges fitted to the arch so we can go under Ludham bridge and others. They were priority.   The next big expense is the canopy which will just have to wait. Mooring fees, toll, and the up and coming electricity bill this month has taken our boat fund down  to not a lot.
 Being new owners, we now just want to potter about getting used to the boat and build funds back up again and reassess our wish list. We have done a few cheaper things like fender lines and new ropes. The bargain was the flooring. Lino from Carpetright. Yes, we wanted teak but couldnt justify the expense. Everyone so far has been impressed with the flooring. (£60)
wishes - oven but we have a microwave and hob, new upholstery but its in good condition, just a bit 1980's lol, new upholstery at the back but we have dogs so probably best not to do this as ill just worry it will get wrecked.
one absolute must for our peace of mind - boat recovery service inc prop cover. 
Whatever boat we have we will always have a dehumidifier. Best money we could have spent 
Recovery service is sorted. That was first. Engine is good and tanks are new. Dash needs updating, furniture sorted.

Best thing I ever bought was a little single camping cooker and before all the technos start quoting the riot act - kept it my gass locker 

shorts tee shirts deck shoes sat on the side of the boat making a bacon buttie with a brew first thing ..........priceless 

finny

Use the boat as is initially , and gradually add the bits you need and bits you want , that is what Kate and I have done and are doing , be prepared that if you go in a chandlers intending to spend £50 you won’t walk out without spending at least double !!

i should add that I would have been lost without shore power and a good oil filled radiator for over the winter months , yes we have diesel heating too but the radiator kept us warm  and snug over night 

• Like 2

For me it was battery charger,our bilge pump runs of them and was always worried, no pump, boat in danger.Now i have peace of mind,and with fully charged bank of batteries the engine should start.Then i sorted out a boat recovery scheme,so if disaster strikes,then help will come.:default_biggrin:

• Like 1

Use the boat as is initially , and gradually add the bits you need and bits you want , that is what Kate and I have done and are doing , be prepared that if you go in a chandlers intending to spend £50 you won’t walk out without spending at least double !!

i should add that I would have been lost without shore power and a good oil filled radiator for over the winter months , yes we have diesel heating too but the radiator kept us warm  and snug over night 
The boat has got shore power which is a plus. Thanks

14 minutes ago, psychicsurveyor said:

A window vac,  great for the shower as well., oh and a coffee machine :default_biggrin:

Have to second that window vac suggestion. We bought a Karcher about 3/4 years ago and it has proved invaluable. You have big windows as we have and clearing any condensation is a breeze. 

• Like 1