Best Product For Mildew

I have tried many products for mildew, but I find the best way of getting it is to stop all ventilation and make sure you've left the boat good and damp.

Sadly it’s my ski boat that’s floating all year with fabric covers so that isn’t possible (at least I don’t think it is).

Most if not all the mould/mildew cleaners contain bleach which does kill the mildew/mould spores on fabric/canvas etc it does not fully remove the marks and too much bleach content will and does effect the stitching so be careful and only use a slight quantity, about a small capful  of bleach to a bucket of warm water is more than sufficient.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Sainsbury's stain remover (It's in a pink spray bottle) worked really well on the curtains in our boat that had mildew spots all over the lining material when we bought it last year. I  used it as a last resort before buying new ones. The boss was not to happy I think she really wanted a new set.

• Like 2

Hi John,

I have just had a thought, if you have any pink stains on your seating this is a result of mildew, as above it can be killed but you can not remove the pink stains. 

The mildew usually gets into the seating because the seating sponge soaks up any water, we had this happen by water seeping through a press stud in the canopy, we didn't know where the water was coming from until we were sat under the canopy in the rain and Tan was holding her empty coffee mug when a drip of water fell into her mug, followed by many more. 

A little bit of magic putty in the press stud hole sorted the problem.

Regards

Alan

• Like 2

Thanks very much everyone for taking the time to reply.
I’m genuinely surprised at the number of different products you like.
I was expecting one or two options and a lot of people agreeing.
Is anyone crossing Breydon tomorrow? I thought I’d give the boat a bit of a clean then blow the cobwebs off.

Well the good news is HG Mould spray worked a treat.

My vinyl (or leather) is white so I don’t need to worry about discolouration.

The bad news is I think I’ve got an engine problem.

It ran a treat. 45mph across Breydon.

Then started sounding rough under acceleration.

It sounds like a dropped / broken valve to me, I hope I’m wrong.

It's great to use natural products and have tried many times but unfortunately never had the results........we converted part of the main bedroom into a walk in wet room no windows to vent moisture but we had fitted a industrial washroom grade extracting unit but we still get mildew and mold - which drives me crazy to the tune that my kids call me " Mr Bleach " , but not no more thanks to Astonish mildew and mold remover - funnily enough I've just made the blinds in the conservatory look new again after coming out of winter . Cheap as chips from these cheap and cheerful bargain shops 

now sure if repairs possible broken valves though :default_dry:

finny

• Like 1