Toilet Pump

Today we spent a few hours getting the boat ready after the winter. For the first time, the pump would only swill the little bit of water left in the loo (with anti freeze-smaller amount!) around. If the valve was turned one way, the water swilled around in the bowl, if the other way, it shot up into our faces!

Eventually we primed the intake pipe and then the system worked. Its the "usual" system,, sea toilet-holding tank-manual. is this a sign that perhaps valves are wearing, or just one of those things? Thanks for any advice/experience.

4 minutes ago, johnb said:

I think its a Jabasco, I may have to put the enquiry on hold until I can get to the boat and check. Thanks

Hello John,

If it is the standard Jabasco you can get a new seals/valve kit or you can just purchase a new pump. Both Brian Wards (remember the NBN discount) and Peachments are stockists.

Regards

Alan

Jabsco service kit £33 and you can play with all that has gone through!

Jabsco replacement pump assembly £73 and takes about 15 minutes, clean and no worry about a seal the wrong way round.

Guess which one I chose, the new one is quieter and more efficient.

paul

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZimbiIV said:

Jabsco replacement pump assembly £73 and takes about 15 minutes, clean and no worry about a seal the wrong way round.

paul

thank you-at least it didn't clean you out!!

12 hours ago, ZimbiIV said:

paul

Hello Paul,

A tip for a noisy or stiff pump handle on a Jabsco pump.

Under the handle unscrew the large plastic nut to give you access to the top of the pump tube, pour in about half a teaspoon of vegetable oil (any type will do), this will lubricate the dried out piston.

We always have a spare pump assembly aboard as part of our spares and as you say a short time to fit, six screws on the housing to remove and the water intake/output pipes jubilee clips, job done.

Regards

Alan 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

You can also simply pour the sunflower oil into the bowl and pump it through.

Exactly Vaughan you read my mind again :default_biggrin: works perfectly and stops the valves sticking n keeps them supple .

Incidentally if anyone is still using a RM 69 loo the joker valve of a jabsco fits , this is one valve that if it sticks open you sure know about it from the Smell's.

Cooking oil it gets my vote :default_biggrin:

Years ago I had a Colvic Watson (ex Sandersons) with a brand new Jabsco loo which was very stiff to pump. Decided to fit new seals. Rang Jabsco to ask what lubricant to use on reassembly. They asked if it was less than two years old. I replied yes and they sent me a new pump assembly foc. They had changed the seal material for a short while that didn't perform well. 

On 07/04/2018 at 11:40, MauriceMynah said:

Sorry Ricardo, What is an 'RM 69' please?

RM 69 pump action toilet , just like a jabsco except older , loads of them still about on various boats , good thing is if you can't get spares for them then a jabsco is exactly the same footprint so no change to any mounting holes or pipework :default_biggrin:

I have an old rm69 and it works great, the handle broke so went to the local marina and saw them taking an older jabsco off a boat with knackered pump so managed to blag a handle, better seat, and better bowl for free. :default_biggrin: A crappy happy chappy I am!

• Haha 1

You can fall foul at times changing over from a hand pump toilet to an electric one if the boat's plumbing was not designed for one, they can use a lot more water and are prone to the macerator  being clogged up with thicker toilet paper and any kind of wipes. 

We used to have problems with standard toilets until we changed to smooth walled pipes (the ribbed type are best replaced).

We only come across electric toilets when we hire Narrow Boats sometimes they fit different types of toilets aboard, one such hire we had to have one of the toilet tanks pumped out after 3 days because of the amount of water it used, the other toilet on that boat lasted all week.

Regards

Alan