Vape Friendly Pubs

36 minutes ago, FairTmiddlin said:

Jayfire

Where did youget your facts from about the toxins and the carcinogens.

The FDA in america are spreading so many poor press aboutvaping because so many states in america were paid and are still taking extortionate amounts of money from the american tobacco companies that they are running scared of people stopping smoking and they will have no moremoney coming frombig tobacco.

Read the reports from the uk health department who say they are 95% better than smoking and recommend them to people who wish to quit

The point I was trying to make was vaping for people trying to cut down or quit is a good thing, it is supposedly a better alternative, but why it had to turn into a fashion accessory is beyond me.

I can't remember where I read it originally but The BHF quote

"A study published in Environmental Science & Technology in July 2016 identified harmful emissions in the vapour, including possible carcinogens and irritants, though at a much lower level than in conventional cigarettes. The BHF would not advise non-smokers to start smoking e-cigarettes".

I've still not worked out how the intake of nicotine or the hand to mouth habit is supposed to help stop smoking, when I gave up the hardest bit was not rolling a fag as much as not smoking it.

As for the contents of cheap ebay bought chinese sourced chemicals exactly how can anyone say they are safe? I'm glad I gave up 20 years ago and don't like the idea of vaping in pubs and such and find it as annoying as passive smoking, that said if a pub gets the ashtrays out when the door gets bolted I don't mind as long as I'm still getting served, it's their house then.....

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

I've still not worked out how the intake of nicotine or the hand to mouth habit is supposed to help stop smoking, when I gave up the hardest bit was not rolling a fag as much as not smoking it.

As for the contents of cheap ebay bought chinese sourced chemicals exactly how can anyone say they are safe? I'm glad I gave up 20 years ago and don't like the idea of vaping in pubs and such and find it as annoying as passive smoking, that said if a pub gets the ashtrays out when the door gets bolted I don't mind as long as I'm still getting served, it's their house then.....

Smoggy I think it is kind of like the first step. You still feel you are having a smoke but with much reduced crap being taken in, as well as having something in your hand and mouth the help curb the need.

A friend of mine stopped smoking by sucking on cinnamon sticks just to give his hands and mouth something to help.

I have never smoked and therefore never quit however so I might be talking my usual rubbish :default_biggrin:

58 minutes ago, vanessan said:

I believe people who have never smoked have actually taken up vaping! 

I'm sure they have, though what no report can ever tell is if those people would have taken up smoking, in which case vaping is much the better option for them. I vape, having switched from smoking two years ago, and having done so would not return to cigarettes. Am I bothered about being able to vape in a pub? Not at all. I'll go outside with the rest of the dead men walking if I need to imbibe, that doesn't bother me. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jayfire said:

A friend of mine stopped smoking by sucking on cinnamon sticks just to give his hands and mouth something to help.

I hope he understands the side effects of cinnamon, liver damage, diabetes, respiratory disease, cancer. Cinnamon is both toxic and carcinogenic. He might be better vaping.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Paul said:

I hope he understands the side effects of cinnamon, liver damage, diabetes, respiratory disease, cancer. Cinnamon is both toxic and carcinogenic. He might be better vaping.

I'll pass on your concerns, I'm not sure he'd want to look like a great fairy blowing vapour out his mouth though.

Not unless it's a Friday night shift anyway. :default_biggrin:

Giving up smoking is easy. I've done it hundreds of times!

As a bloke who enjoys a smoke, be it my roll ups or one of my Cuban or Honduran full coronas, I'm now resigned to sitting outside the pub while the fresh air lovers are inside. I'm afraid outside with me...well sitting well down wind from me... is where the vapers and their vapours belong.

Excellent smoking areas on the Broads include the Wayford Bridge Inn and the Greyhound at Hickling where you can enjoy a meal, pint and an after dinner smoke, all outside, even when it's raining, like any civilised gentleman should. Oh, and the cheese board at the Wayford is a thing of wonder!

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

PMI is investing Billions to try and move to tobacco free products, or reduced risk products, there are many studies indicating the 95% reduction in harmful carcinogens which is of course good news for those that wish to use that particular way to shorten their lives. Unfortunately for those studies and something that the study owners will not tell you is at what point the risk is reduced ? The amount available may be reduced by 95% but at what point are the associated risks reduced 95% as that relationship is not linear in any way shape or form.

Personally I rely on alcohol and work related stress to shorten my life, poisoning by ingestion whilst stressed out on the sofa seems more civilized somehow. However as someone has already pointed out some studies in Japan have identified new carcinogens and toxic by products of combustion of food additives which whilst "safe" (whatever that is supposed to mean) to be ingested may be less so in vapour phase into the lungs.

After injections the inhaled products are the second biggest risk area for medication manufacturers and we go and voluntarily suck in burned food additives...or worse tobacco combustion products...I'll stick to the gin....

Personally I love the smell of pipe tobacco, hate the smell of cigarettes of all stripes (just the smell of wacky backy just makes me want to puke) and just find vapes mildly amusing as someones head disappears behind clouds of nobody quite knows what. My objection is centered on the "non solo" nature of such activity in that if one doesn't pee up the leg of the guy/lady standing next to folks at the bar drinking, this effects nobody but the drinker and the guy or lady that cleans the pub loo. I'm not sure vaping or smoking may claim to do the same. I do not specifically mean secondary smoking as the controversy surrounding that issue is not yet completely in the public arena as far as I know. I do note however that vaping is about to be outlawed in cars in a few countries due to the vision impairment element of clouds of sweet smelling vapour obscuring the drivers view of the road. Just imagine four high power "vapers" in the same vehicle, apart from the humour element it would be fairly dangerous I would think.

By the way if my tongue were more firmly in my cheek I would be biting it .....

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Malanka said:

Personally I love the smell of pipe tobacco

I'm having a continual battle with my GP about smoking Martin. Every time I ask if I can have another attempt at stopping smoking he shakes his head and points out the pattern that I try stopping smoking, do well for up to a week, then I have a stroke. I have a new GP and thought I would ask again if I could go on a program. Once again my new GP shook his head and tapped the computer monitor displaying my notes. My old GP had left a message that I would ask. He'd also left a warning that I would ask to get my baccy on prescription if they refused. :default_norty: Still nothing doing!

But I asked my new GP about vaping and he basically repeated the contents of your post above. I was surprised however when he offered a suggestion. 'Switch to smoking a pipe'. He recommended a Falcon Pipe with a filter, as I would still be getting the hit required, not so much 'less nasties' as the nasties would be clearly visible to me in the bottom chamber of the pipe. I would not be able to have the pipe on the go as frequently as I do a roll up and I would start taking the time in my day to sit down at a set time in the day to smoke my pipe. Do you know he was right!

I'm in the process of switching over to the pipe, I'm smoking less often and when I do smoke it's while I'm out walking the dogs or otherwise relaxing outside. For one of the first times in a long while, I found myself thinking the other day...I can't be bothered having a smoke now I will wait until later this evening and sit down with my pipe. I'm no longer thinking 'I've GOT to have a smoke' I'm thinking 'I will enjoy that later...if I have time'. I'm also thinking...'I'm not smoking a pipe in public because I will look like more of a geek than I do normally.' I just have to find a tobacco that I enjoy smoking in my pipe that I like the smell of. Condor ain't rubbing it...pun intended.

I wish there was a little more publicised research done on the effects of either direct or secondary 'vaping'. I have to admit that I find the smell of most of the fluids used are so sweet and sickly, I think I preferred traditional smoke. I used to be a 60 Marlboror a day person (Oh boy, I couldn't afford to do that these days) but unlike a lot of ex smokers, even after 20 years I still don't find the smell offensive.

Well done Timbo. I used to smoke Erinmore when I had a pipe (Peterson) having tried many others it seemed a good compromise for the smoker and those around him. This has just reminded me, My sister Frances also smoked a pipe for a short while but I can't remember the make.

Sounds Like a plan Timbo. I'm not a supporter of the nanny state in any shape or form (reference sausages and cancer, bacon, brown crisps and toast) and it sounds like you have got some very good and therefore independent of thought medics on your team which is very nice to read.

I take such government (Health England) warnings along with the latest ones concerning salt intake which are also cropped findings not the whole truth, and put them in the bin, where such drivel belongs. I will explain the latter story over a beer if we get to see you over the next two weeks, it's quite a scientific scandal actually.

I didn't go into the "no safe exposure limit" debate as I thought it would bore the pants off everyone. But items which are described as no safe exposure limit sometimes also have a metabolic pathway in the human body which metabolises it and excretes it as waste. Or simply fixes what's wrong (such as the light and dark reactions of DNA repair from damage due to radiation and mutation) Age spots are an example.

So the simple garbage issued by the Gov of any stripe is never the answer, leave folks alone to draw their own conclusions, the people of the UK are not sheep to be driven this way and that over personal choice issues. Mainly at the whim of a PPE graduate who has never had a proper job in their entire, pitiable, miserable, holier than thou lives.

RANT OVER.... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi John,

Recent papers have indicated that the historic furore over the "alleged" effects of secondary smoking were to put it mildly. Overblown. So anything that shows a 95% reduction in noxious nasties (to use Tim's phrase) should at face value seem to be a good thing for everyone.

The issues are that nobody has done long term exposure studies to the combustion by products of flavourings and preservatives in vape fluids / liquids. To be a fluid a vape mixture would have to be a gas by the way, otherwise it would be a liquid.

Combusting something gives totally different breakdown products than enzyme driven digestion for obvious reasons.

M

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Malanka said:

Sounds Like a plan Timbo. I'm not a supporter of the nanny state in any shape or form (reference sausages and cancer, bacon, brown crisps and toast) and it sounds like you have got some very good and therefore independent of thought medics on your team which is very nice to read.

I take such government (Health England) warnings along with the latest ones concerning salt intake which are also cropped findings not the whole truth, and put them in the bin, where such drivel belongs. I will explain the latter story over a beer if we get to see you over the next two weeks, it's quite a scientific scandal actually.

I didn't go into the "no safe exposure limit" debate as I thought it would bore the pants off everyone. But items which are described as no safe exposure limit sometimes also have a metabolic pathway in the human body which metabolises it and excretes it as waste. Or simply fixes what's wrong (such as the light and dark reactions of DNA repair from damage due to radiation and mutation) Age spots are an example.

So the simple garbage issued by the Gov of any stripe is never the answer, leave folks alone to draw their own conclusions, the people of the UK are not sheep to be driven this way and that over personal choice issues. Mainly at the whim of a PPE graduate who has never had a proper job in their entire, pitiable, miserable, holier than thou lives.

RANT OVER.... 

Whilst working overseas a smoking ban was introduced in bars, pubs, restaurants etc. after much loss of business and a mass disregard for the new law, a compromise was made; every pub etc. must have a designated smoking area.

A friend of mine owned a pub and a customer was complaining that people were smoking "everywhere" and demanded to know where the designated smoking area was. My friend replied "I've designated the whole pub as a smoking area"

many years ago I had a friend who smoked a pipe - quite what he put in there we were unsure, but we all swore that he just swept the leavings and spillage from his desk into his tobacco pouch, as some times we could swear that he was smoking elastic bands.

• Haha 1

As a member here says "What a load of old Squit" 

Try treating your lungs to what they are intended for Fresh Air.

An old school friend, a Consultant at a London Teaching Hospital has told me Popcorn lung has seen a dramatic increase. 

Firstly I don't want to inhale your butterscotch second hand breath, I would not give business to an establishment that allows your habit to  effect others.

Furthermore if you "Vapours" are a ticking time bomb, I don't want to pay for you. 

The NHS needs money, Now! £5 on 20 cigs, the same for what equals Vapes and £10 on a bottle of spirits would go a long way.

I worked in Scandinavia for a long time. It works and is fairer to those who live a healthier life style.

• Like 4

I had a work colleague who vaped in the office, there is now a ban on smoking or vaping in the office - its smokers corner for the lot of them. I dont think vaping should be allowed anywhere smoking is not, particularly as some of the exponents emit more smoke than your average steam train pulling away. its bad enough having to walk through the clouds in public, but not in confined spaces please.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ChrisB said:

The NHS needs money, Now! £5 on 20 cigs, the same for what equals Vapes and £10 on a bottle of spirits would go a long way.

I haven't smoked for a long time, so the tax on 'ciggies' doesn't effect me, but I think you may be a little behind the time. The tax on 20 ciggies is already more than £5, in fact it's probably nearer to £7 than a fiver. Tax on spirits too, is probably very close to that tenner you want already, Yet, still the NHS is starved of funds, maybe time to go after 'Amazon', 'Starbucks', 'Google' etc. to pay their fair share, on the billions they make in the UK... :35_thinking:

5 minutes ago, kingfisher666 said:

I haven't smoked for a long time, so the tax on 'ciggies' doesn't effect me, but I think you may be a little behind the time. The tax on 20 ciggies is already more than £5, in fact it's probably nearer to £7 than a fiver. Tax on spirits too, is probably very close to that tenner you want already, Yet, still the NHS is starved of funds, maybe time to go after 'Amazon', 'Starbucks', 'Google' etc. to pay their fair share, on the billions they make in the UK... :35_thinking:

I mean tax them on top of what it is already. Not heard anyone complain of the online prices that have decimated our high streets. When my wife was dying of cancer I would go to the NNUH and there would be people outside, in their pyjamas, wheeling a drip stand and smoking and vaping. Sorry not on! 

11 minutes ago, donnygeoff said:

Stop driving your car and I will try to breath fresh air.....

Driving a car does not condone smoke and vape, all the more reason not to do it.