Spotted In Beccles

I'm sure I'm not alone in recognising this vessel n sadly its sunk now , it was up a couple of weeks ago and BA aware now its not and sadly on the very limited BA moorings before the road bridge so only space for one big boat or 2 smaller ones around 27' .

IMG_20180414_125416.jpg

IMG_20180414_125343.jpg

Can never remember whether the Red posts are the bit reserved for demasting, or the bit for general use, or the bit reserved for tall vessels unable to proceed under the bridge. Never seen so much red tape over the use of a public mooring!!!

I wonder if someone took exception to him mooring over the safety ladder?!!!

6 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

Can never remember whether the Red posts are the bit reserved for demasting, or the bit for general use, or the bit reserved for tall vessels unable to proceed under the bridge. Never seen so much red tape over the use of a public mooring!!!

I wonder if someone took exception to him mooring over the safety ladder?!!!

Its not actually over the ladder but very close , red is for boats not able to get under the bridge is the road bridge , yellow for yachts demasting only no stopping after that n plain ones for general use .

Either way it needs removing n I'll be making that pretty clear to BA next week for sure :15_yum:

How fortunate that it managed to sink on the BA moorings where WE all get to finance its removal rather than on the Beccles Town Council's moorings where it had sat for all that time and where it would have been their liability.

Some days I cant believe our luck... :default_wink:

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, JanetAnne said:

How fortunate that it managed to sink on the BA moorings where WE all get to finance its removal rather than on the Beccles Town Council's moorings where it had sat for all that time and where it would have been their liability.

Some days I cant believe our luck... :default_wink:

Harsh but fair :default_eusa_naughty:

A Seamaster 25, which used to be a lovely boat in its day. If it can be brought up and put on land fairly quickly and allowed to dry out, it would make a nice project for somebody.

The first thing I'd do is rip off all that hideous top and take it back to its original GRP shape, that way, you have the best starting point, and possibly some useable fire wood.

1 hour ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

A Seamaster 25, which used to be a lovely boat in its day. If it can be brought up and put on land fairly quickly and allowed to dry out, it would make a nice project for somebody.

The first thing I'd do is rip off all that hideous top and take it back to its original GRP shape, that way, you have the best starting point, and possibly some useable fire wood.

1 hour ago, MauriceMynah said:

Absolutely agree SpeedTriple. My last boat was one of those,  a versatile craft, would go under all broads bridges and at a pinch could sleep 5 for a weekend..The hull is well built and pretty thick and it handled like a dream. 

But with the ‘extension’, it could sleep 12 standing up. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Thing is when this guy got hold of this boat it had a very reasonable burgundy canopy and the boat was reasonable , then it got made worse and iv still no idea why he did that but I do know he hacked off a fair few folk at whitlingham by using power tools all day long .

In fairness B2P,  whilst your concern for the homelessness of the owner is to be applauded, I think if he had actually been living on board, He might have noticed it sinking. I suspect he is/was living elsewhere. I'm sure Ricardo may be able to shed some light on that one.

GRP boats don't sink very often, but here's a guess based on statistics.

The boat is down by the stern, owing to the extra weight aft.

A leaking stern gland, or more probably rudder gland, coupled with a stuck bilge pump float switch, has only got to bring the hull down as far as an engine compartment vent, or a vent from a fridge, and that's it. It can easily happen overnight.

Was the owner on board? Presumably not. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Bound2Please said:

At the end of the day we must remember that this sinking has lost a person (s) ?. Their home, no matter how ugly it looked it was after all a home, and probably the person (s) pride and joy.

I totally agree , BA are completely unaware of his location apparently so can't even let him know but it could well have been abandoned as last time I saw it a couple of weeks back both inside and outside doors were wide open and no one onboard , in all honesty u do think and they might well have done this but BA,should report it to the police as a potential missing person .

To be fair to BA they do pump out boats I know of at least 3 on the upper yare that have been pumped out in the last couple of yrs including recently , none of these boats were being lived on but I think BA see it as its better to deal with a leak than a sunken boat .

It would have been much better if whoever cocked up the box had made proper use of the original screen, and built something that looked pretty decent.  It does make you wonder about the sort of people who build these eysores, and that`s exactly what they are, eyesores, someones home or not.

3 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

It would have been much better if whoever cocked up the box had made proper use of the original screen, and built something that looked pretty decent.  It does make you wonder about the sort of people who build these eysores, and that`s exactly what they are, eyesores, someones home or not.

I can think of some pretty awful looking, eyesore boats on the Broads, brand spanking new some of 'em! 

• Like 7