Boat Security

Betty1

Yes, I do. A one-off of my own making. If it goes off, you won't stay aboard, your ears will bleed! The trouble with most portable alarms is that they rely on PIR sensors - not reliable where there are creepy-crawlies about - lots of false triggering. There are types that sense a slight voltage drop on your battery - OK in cars where a door open will put on a light, but boats? You'll have to decide how far you want to go, and how much money you want to spend. The latest ideas seem to involve cameras that alert you over your smartphone via an app, but I don't know much about them. Simple is best, in my opinion.

We have both a remote monitored alarm and CCTV system. Both are easy to install if you know the basics of wiring and low voltage power.

If you want a more basic approach a smart IP camera will sit on the boat and you can monitor it when you wish, or if it detects movement will alert you both sending you live images and recording them in the Cloud so even if the cameras is destroyed the footage is always kept safe.

Have a look online for 'GSM Alarms' and you will find a host of different systems with different sensors, from PIR to door and window even smoke and heat. Pop in a SIM card on a pre-paid tariff and that will mean you are alerted not only to alarm activation (where you can listen and talk back in case was a false trigger) but even know when the power has been disconnected and hopefully restored.

These systems do need a shore power connection to work as they are domestic systems running off of the mains with a battery back up.  The CCTV systems will also need a Wifi Router - I did a review of one I used on Independence, but the model I got can be found here: http://amzn.eu/5HTLeZ4 

• Like 1

I have a camera watching my boat, although a little far away, the boat is also the "wrong" side of the river, so you'd need a boat to get to it, there are friends who see it everyday. At the moment there is nothing on board worth stealing, though parts of the boat would be. 

As I fit the boat out a deafening alarm will be fitted, as regulo says, keeping it simple is good, especially as a home built system can be done in a way as to be unexpected to thieves. 

The alarm is more if I go to a public mooring somewhere and wander off for a meal.

• Like 1

I find fitting a few pressure pads around the boat wired up to a detonator and a few sticks of TNT does the trick.... The only problem I had Was i forgot to leave a note for the Amazon delivery driver not to come on board when we was out... 

As you can see on the Oulton Broad web cam....

4A0DC4CB-DB27-4291-84D2-2A9D386B1042.png

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, ScrumpyCheddar said:

I find fitting a few pressure pads around the boat wired up to a detonator and a few sticks of TNT does the trick.... The only problem I had Was i forgot to leave a note for the Amazon delivery driver not to come on board when we was out... 

As you can see on the Oulton Broad web cam....

4A0DC4CB-DB27-4291-84D2-2A9D386B1042.png

Can you track your package in the photograph? 

8 minutes ago, ScrumpyCheddar said:

Yes top right...... It was The Cat Stevens greatest hits collections...  ha ha 

Very fortunate that it is not miles from nowhere.