Morning Flight 1990

JennyMorgan

I seem to remember that boat, from somewhere? I ought to, as my avatar is her original river toll disc, from 1948.

But who remembers the man in the photo, Brian Coley?

Brian came to Hearts, from Bounty Boats and Southgates, when Jenners sold to Ladbrokes in the late 60s. He was the manager from then on, through the ownership of Ladbrokes, Pennant and Richardsons, until he retired.

I am sure that there are members here who can remember happy holidays from Hearts, under Brian's management.

He sadly passed on several years ago but he became a dear friend to my parents, and to me, and I shall always rank him as one of the best hire fleet managers that the Broads has known.

• Like 2

Vaughan, I didn't know Brian Coley in connection with the hire fleets but, and I'm pretty darn sure that I have the name right, I do remember a Brian Colley who had a lock-up at Hopton railway station in the late 1950's where he built a small speedboat for my brother. Might just be a total coincidence though. The Mr Colley I remember wasn't there long because when my brother wanted the transom strengthened, so he could fit trim tabs in an effort to stop her porpoising, the lock-up had been abandoned and the site was being cleared for housing.    

Yes, he did. The land opposite the old Thorpe Gardens was owned by Steward & Patteson's brewery and in the 40s and early 50's it was the base of the Hazell brothers' hire boats. It was rented afterwards by Tony Loweth, who was landlord of the pub, and Brian took it over sometime in the 80s. I don't know who has the lease now - maybe Roger Wood?

• Like 1