Pacific Cruisers Fleet Updates

Broads01

Pacific have made a couple of changes this season. Out have gone Shadow and Grayling and in comes Vista (ex Alpha 44 foot centre cockpit) and Sky (Broom 29).

http://www.pacificcruisers.co.uk

I think at least one of these has already been mentioned but I just wanted to credit them for their efforts in trying to update in these difficult times for smaller operators. 

• Like 7

We popped into the yard last month hoping to sneak a peek at Vista but she was still on the hard at Greenway. All being well we will take a look at her in the summer. I can only echo Robin's comment about the presentation of their boats. We have hired from Pacific something like forty times over the last thirty years and never been disappointed either with the service or the boats, always first class. 

Over the last couple of years with Vista, Sky and Diamond coming in they have updated the fleet quite considerably but even the older boats are very well looked after, most have been refitted and have new modern engines, and are offered for hire at much more competitive rates than most other yards. 

Add to that the more relaxed atmosphere on the southern rivers, lack of fights for moorings and the excellent waterside pubs I can understand why the yard is so popular. 

• Like 5

• 5 months later...

Hi ,

I don't think anybody has mentioned this so far, however when I moored at Pacific Cruisers early in October 2018 Richard showed me round his latest addition. He has just acquired a 1997 A/F 28 Opal originally Summer Safari. It its a lovely 2 berth formerly in private hands and built by Hampton's in more or less original condition. I was on Broom Bolero at the time and found that although this was the same mould Richard's new boat layout was more spacious both in the saloon/galley and WC. It wont be available for hire until 2019 and details/name are to be confirmed. My guess would be Pacific Summer, we shall see however, either way another upgrade to the increasingly modern Pacific fleet.

Neil

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Hi captain, i should of worded that better. I looked at there web site and noticed that for 2019 ( sorry don't know boats names ) they have withdrawn the calypso design and the alpha single level boat. So i guess the fleet is one down unless there is another boat in the pipeline. But agree a much improved and more modern fleet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Broads01 said:

Alas both Emerald and Moonlight have gone, presumably to fund the new purchase

That may have something to do with it, but the size of the yard is also an issue. At best the moorings only hold eight boats, they had been operating with ten. Splitting changeover days between Friday and Saturday aleviates the problem during the season but when they are all back then they have to lift someout or seek other moorings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Many years ago we were moored at the mooring prior to How Hill (towards Ludham Bridge) on the farmers mooring when a couple arrived in Emerald and they were all puffed out and anxious.   On enquiring as to what was the matter - well she said,  we always moor here , we do every year, look she said opening her Log Book and there was the records of all their moorings over the years.  The reason for being so puffed out was they thought this was going to be the first year they could not get there.    From what I have seen passing in recent years the mooring isnt maintained like it use to be and I often wonder about the couple.

She reminded me of Mary on Coronation Street.  

On 23/10/2018 at 14:09, Broads01 said:

Pacific Sunshine is now on the Pacific Cruisers website http://www.pacificcruisers.co.uk/small-boats.html. It looks very nice - ex Sutton Staithe boatyard possibly?

Alas both Emerald and Moonlight have gone, presumably to fund the new purchase. I have very happy memories of hiring both.

One year we hired Summer Safari and as Mrs Hampton let us have the boat early in the day and with favourable tides we went from Oulton Broad all the way up to West Sommerton.   Those were the days when you could get under Potter easily.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hylander said:

From what I have seen passing in recent years the mooring isnt maintained like it use to be 

There used to be a boat permanently moored there - Glittering Waters. Its been gone for a couple of years now and the quay heading (what there was of it) has now virtually disappeared. There is a sign warning of soft mud. It used to be a lovely mooring with easy walking access to How Hill. 

• Like 1

On 23/10/2018 at 16:02, Paul said:

That may have something to do with it, but the size of the yard is also an issue. At best the moorings only hold eight boats, they had been operating with ten. Splitting changeover days between Friday and Saturday aleviates the problem during the season but when they are all back then they have to lift someout or seek other moorings.

This reminds me of when Maffetts were operating 14 boats from their Loddon yard. It`s amazing how a couple of two week hires can help with over crowding on change over days, along with staggering them too.  I remember their big one (Osprey) was a Sunday boat along with about 5 others.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, trambo said:

Found this picture by Antony Guppy of Emerald in it's last month on hire.

37 409 'Lord Hinton' approaches Reedham Swingbridge on the 15.48 Lowestoft - Norwich

Not bad for a 50 year old boat.

Fred

Ah, brings back happy memories. I hired with my son back in 2006 when he was just 11. At that time there was no warm air heating but its been improved since then. I think the design has stood the test of time well. I hope Richardsons hold on to their Serene Gems, one of which I've also hired. In fact, Fred, Emerald is a mere 43 years old according to the boat database. 

3 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

This reminds me of when Maffetts were operating 14 boats from their Loddon yard. It`s amazing how a couple of two week hires can help with over crowding on change over days, along with staggering them too.  I remember their big one (Osprey) was a Sunday boat along with about 5 others.

Tony and Val ran 16 out of Pacific at one point, all changed over on Saturday. They used to stagger arrival times. On occasion we picked up at 11am, happy days!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Broads01 said:

In fact, Fred, Emerald is a mere 43 years old according to the boat database. 

Up for the challenge and the sake of accuracy, after checking I reckon it was 1972 (according to my geekish log of the time which reads rather unhelpfully "Calypso in Ferry colours" ). They appear as the complete class in the Blakes 1973 brochure. So we can say 45/46 years old.

Slightly off topic Pacific Cruisers yard was founded in the mid 60s as S.B. Brooks Ltd who had previously operated their boats alongside the Mistral Craft fleet at their yard which was was on the site of the housing opposite the public moorings. Their boat names being prefixed with "Pacific". They were marketed then through Bradbeers but future owners have used both Blakes and Hoseasons before becoming an independent yard.

Fred

• Like 2

Fred,

I don't wish to doubt your boating knowledge however are you sure the entire Ferry Mutineer class appeared in the 1973 Blakes brochure? I believe 6 were built based on the reg nos 2 in 1974, 2 in 1975 (inc Emerald) and 2 in 1976. The 1st Calypsos were launched by FB Wilds in 1973?

Thanks

Neil