Solo Southern Wanderings

Broads01

Early tomorrow I'm Norfolk-bound for my first of three hires this year, 5 nights solo on Lady of Freedom. Although this was a replacement booking for the much afore discussed Richardsons cancellation, I'm really happy to be have the opportunity of a short break entirely on the southern Broads, a first for me. In fact I haven't been south since 2015 and haven't started south since 2006 so it's long overdue. My loose plan for the moment is to head Reedham direction tomorrow night, possibly for a night at the Ferry. Friday I'll head for Beccles or Geldeston and then after that I'm not sure although I do fancy a night at Loddon. I'll have my forum logos visible so give me a wave if you're about. 

• Like 12

44 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

Have a great time Simon, which I'm sure you will. Do get down to Geldeston if you can! :default_beerchug:

Loddon well worth a trip too :default_biggrin:

Lady of Freedom looks ideal, with the aft steering arrangement mooring will be a breeze

Thanks Howard. I agree about mooring with the aft steering position. I've hired aft cockpit a couple of times and it's the faffing about with the canopy bit I'm not looking forward to. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

it's the faffing about with the canopy bit I'm not looking forward to. 

Hopefully the weather will be kind Simon. Looking at the photo its hard to tell how it works exactly  but it looks as if it just folds up or down and probably secured around the windscreen area with elastic ties, bit like a bigger version of a day boat! I don't think you'll have any problems.

• Like 1

I've had a fabulous day so far and all to plan, so I'm writing this sat outside the Reedham Ferry in the sunshine. I set off from home in Cardiff at 0625 and the journey was fine except the M42 was slower than usual. I arrived at Sainsburys near Thorpe at 1145 and stocked up with what I needed. I wasn't too impressed with customer service as I spent much longer in the checkout queue than I've done anywhere else for a long time. I had some lunch and then drove just up the road to Freedom boatyard. To get there you have to traverse an untarmaced lane with some challenging pot holes. There's also an old fashioned level crossing where you have to stop and open the gates and shut them again once you've crossed - all very Norfolk! I arrived at the boatyard just before 2 and was greeted by Mark who was friendly and happy to chat. We talked about the Richardsons solo cruising debacle (without which I would have been boarding Symphony 4 this afternoon) and the prevalence of ex-Astons in the Freedom fleet (there are 3 in all). I asked for a look aboard Song of Freedom and he kindly obliged - my parents hired one when I was 12 so it brought back memories. They've done a great job on the interior. I was soon boarding Lady and unpacking. The boat suits me fine and very much what I expected - I'll write a boat review when I've had more time to test her out. By 3pm Mark had completed the handover and I was off. The weather was lovely being sunny and not too cold. Canopy was down and I head off downstream, excited to be here and on the Yare after a 3 year gap. Having negotiated a group of rowers I found the river ridiculously quiet. It took me two and three quarter hours to reach Reedham Ferry and in that time the number of boats cruising in my direction was zero. In the opposite direction, I saw the sum total of four boats. Whilst I'll always love the bustling North today was a very pleasant change. 

I was pleased to see a change at Reedham Ferry - the rickety pontoon upstream of the ferry gas been closed since I was last here. Ive moored there several times over the years but it always felt unsafe. Unfortunately, however the closure means there's precious little mooring capacity. Tonight, however, I'm the only boat on the grassy area downstream of the pub. 

As I pulled in to moor, the oil pressure alarm sounded when the revs dropped and the warning light came on. There was no such issue when I increased the revs, however, and I phoned the boatyard and was told all is OK. 

It's time to order some food. I'll post some photos when I have WiFi. 

• Like 14

12 hours ago, SwanR said:

Highly recommend Langley Dyke if you want some peace and quiet. We always find it a welcome relief after Beccles and Loddon. Have a great time.

I`l echo that, though there`s no facilities apart from mooring posts and a proper quay headin, though you can always have a look at Langley abbey, though i dopn`t know whether they have a cafe or not.  Loddon is a given, especially for a meal, either in the White Horse, or alternatively, an Indian from the Raj, with breakfast the following day in Rosie Lee`s. Geldeston Lock is very nice, but the pub in Geldeston village also has recently had good reviews. It`s at the head of the dyke off to the right where Rowan Boatyard (ex hire) is sited.

Have a great weekend Simon.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

I'd recommend surlingham ferryhouse for your last night before heading back to thorpe, give them a bell first and book a spot though as it gets busy these days.

I'm already planning that one. I won't worry about booking though as there's plenty of stern-on space and no boats there at all as I passed around 3-30pm today. 

• Like 1

Glad you're having a good time Simon, particularly to hear its quiet too, we are down in a couple of weeks so hope its quiet then as well! I'd heartily agree about Surlingham Ferry - excellent pub. Do keep us posted and let us know how you get on with that canopy!

• Like 1

My meal at the Reedham Ferry was fine, if not especially memorable. Then it was back to the boat, a bit of TV then bed. How civilised to have perfect quiet being the only boat on a pub mooring. I had a good night's sleep and when I was ready to set off had to make up my mind as to canopy up or canopy down with Reedham and Somerleyton bridges coming up. I decided to go for down, put up with the drizzle and avoid faffing at the bridges later. I set off at 9. There were a few boats at Reedham Quay but plenty of room. 

Despite the weather all was well until as I reached the New Cut my boss phoned with some shocking and terrible news. My close friend and colleague Garry died last night in a motorcycle accident at the age of 44. Not only does he leave behind a wife and two young sons, his mother lost Garry's dad only a couple of weeks ago with the funeral still to come. I feel shocked and numb at the moment as I write this at WRC. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 13

Having received the news this morning I pulled in at Somerleyton with the rain teeming down and the canopy still lowered. I had to spend a few minutes grappling with the canopy to raise it. It's not too bad actually and perfectly doable solo but it does take a bit of effort with all the poppers, ties and paraphernalia. I managed to reflect for a while over a coffee and later walked as far as the Dukes Head. It's a curious looking pub because if it wasn't for the pub sign outside you'd think, with its two front doors, it was two semi-detached houses. Is that what it used to be? 

Clearance at the bridge was 8 foot 6 so I felt OK to leave the screens up but I thought I'd better lower the canopy to be safe. Having negotiated the bridge I pulled up in the upstream lay by to raise the canopy again. I chugged as far as Waveney River Centre in the rain. Visibility through the screens was terrible, its a good job I could keep the side opening open and peer out that way. On arrival at WRC I stepped off the stern and promptly fell on my back side in the skating rink that masquerades as a quay side. It's wooden decking and us in dire need of treating with a non-slip decking stain or some such. Thankfully I didn't hurt myself. 

It was my first visit to WRC since the camping pods have been introduced. Most were unoccupied at this time of year and they just look like odd-shaped tents but fun in the right weather I would imagine. 

I decided to head for Beccles for the night and had a peaceful cruise to the Yacht Station. Mooring at 5pm there were only two other boats. I write this in the King's Head. 

• Like 7

So sorry to hear about your friend Simon, i lost 3 people in my life within 6 days earlier this year, it`s really disheartening to hear when who you think are perfectly healthy, are suddenly taken from us. 

I hope you can enjoy the rest of your holiday?. ............. Neil.

• Thanks 1

What terrible news you have received, and how very difficult it must be to comprehend- someone being taken so suddenly is always hard. 

I hope that all affected are able to find support in each other, and perhaps you may find some calm and peace out on the rivers for the fond memories of your friendship.

Take care

• Like 1

Thank you all for the kind comments. I'm enjoying myself much more today having resolved that I need to take the positive from the sudden loss of my friend by living in the moment much more and enjoying and appreciating all I'm so lucky to have. 

Having paid the £9.50 fee for mooring at Beccles and taken water on, I folded down the canopy and screens and set off through Beccles Bridge. It was a couple of hours after low water and clearance was around 8 foot so with the level rising I knew I might not be able to return until this afternoon. I wasn't bothered, however, as I couldn't pass up on the opportunity of cruising one of my favourite stretches anywhere. The section of river immediately above the bridge before you leave Beccles is absolutely lovely and easily under-estimated. The weather was cold but thankfully just about dry so I kept the screens and canopy down. I passed no boats at all on the way to Geldeston Lock and there were none moored when I arrived there. I decided to turn straight round and started thinking it would be handy to be able to pass straight back through the bridge. I couldn't resist, however, chugging down the little stretch that leads to The Wherry and the village as I think I've only been down there once before. I turned around at Rowan Craft having decided not to stop only to change my mind afterwards a d turn back to moor because it was such a nice spot. I made the short walk to the village and The Wherry which wasn't yet open but I'd like to try it one day. 

I set off back downstream and enjoyed that lovely tree-lined stretch once again. By the time I reached the bridge just before midday it was only an hour until high water and sure enough clearance had reduced to 6 foot 6 (official height of Lady is 7 foot). Handily Lady has a pulpit rail which is higher than the rest of the boat so I was able to safely edge close to the bridge to see if I could pass without wrecking anything. As I suspected the water was too high by 2 or 3 inches so it was into reverse and back to stop at the Lido mooring. 

Earlier I spotted some folks at the top of the church tower when I hadn't realised it was even open to climb. I walked straight there and sure enough for £2.50 you can climb to the top and get a fantastic view. 

I'm currently still at the Lido moorings waiting a little longer for the water level to drop back. Oulton Broad is my plan for later. 

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Broads01 said:

The Wherry which wasn't yet open but I'd like to try it one day. 

Lovely pub Simon, well worth a look on your next outing hopefully

Locks is good too

Sorry to hear about your sad news and many thanks for posting up your holiday tale

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Hi Simon,

the vew from the church tower is amazing, but when we went, it was a real oddball of a guide who wouldn't stop talking. Hopefully when we go again, he won't be there.

No such problem today Neil thankfully. It was a quirky little set up. The lady at reception was friendly but said they were just about to close the tower so they could have lunch! She radioed to the chap at the top to say I was about to go up and then again as I started up the stairs about a minute later, mmm! The chap at the top was friendly as well but let me admire the view in peace.

I left the Lido mooring at 2-45 and the bridge was showing 6 foot 11. I had about 3 inches clearance and made sure I ducked right down and being unsightly trusted the boat to continue straight. It had started raining earlier and so I pulled in on the BA moorings by the road bridge and raised the screens and canopy. It was nice to be with the tide this time round (I was punching against yesterday) but it was a cold wet run all the way to Oulton Broad. I managed to clear the screen of the drizzle a couple of times but the benefit lasted all of a minute before lack of visibility resumed. I've been thinking about Loddon for tomorrow night but the thought of negotiating the Chet in the heavy rain forecast for Monday morning fills me with dread. I arrived at Oulton Broad Yacht Station around 5-30 and the rangers assisted me to moor on the pontoon side. I write this in The Wherry Hotel where I'm going to eat in a bit. 

• Like 5