Radar Arches

Hi All

I'm seeking some advice if possible on Radar Arches as I'm looking maybe to buy a boat with one (no particualr model just yet but something like a bayliner 285)

1st question would you see it a problem having an air draft of just over 9ft to the radar arch?

2nd question if the radar arch is fixed is it expensive to have them hinged?

Cheers

Simon

14 minutes ago, Simondo said:

Hi All

1st question would you see it a problem having an air draft of just over 9ft to the radar arch?

Cheers

Simon

The River Bure from Wroxham to Coltishall will be out for you as will The Upper Thurne above Potter Heigham. These are actually the gems of the Northern Rivers in my opinion. Furthermore the River Ant above Ludham Bridge will also be out most of the time, so no Neatishead, Barton Turf, Stalham, Sutton and Dilham. Really it just depends what you are looking for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It all depends on the design of the arch if it's easy to hinge or not, I have one on the roof of my princess that just needs 2 bolts taking out to swing it down, I can do it in 30 seconds as long as the canopy is down but turn the radar off first or you may get gently cooked.

• Thanks 1

When we were in our search for a boat I asked about the cost of converting radar arch from fixed to folding on a similar craft to a Bayliner and was quoted in the region of £2000 at the time .

if considering a bayliner be sure to go for a diesel one as petrol is not available waterside on the Northern Broads and I believe very scarce on the South also 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Simondo said:

Cheers for the responses peeps...2K ! wowzer thats a chunk I'll just get a couple of butt hinges from Wickes :5_smiley:

All food for thought :91_thumbsup:

The £2000 quote included enabling the windscreens to drop as often pointless to have folding radar if screens don’t lower .And modification to awning also 

• Thanks 1

We had the arch on our Falcon 27, hinged, around £700, nice and simple.

They separated the arch at its attachment points and installed 2 plain SS hinges, nothing flashy just practical, finished off with 2 SS lever locks to keep it in place when the canopy is down.

I'm not sure if i can put an open post to tell you where we had the work done , but please PM me and I'll be glad to point you in the right direction,

Cheers

A few different ways to do it.  

Brooms tend to have electrically operated hydraulics on their radar arches, so you just flick a switch for both up and down.  Handy with radomes, antennae, lights, GPS, radar reflectors etc etc as the weight adds up.  Just remember the canopy first...

BTW you don't get cooked by radar if you have a nice 3G/4G system as opposed to pulse magnetron.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Selsie said:

We had the arch on our Falcon 27, hinged, around £700, nice and simple.

They separated the arch at its attachment points and installed 2 plain SS hinges, nothing flashy just practical, finished off with 2 SS lever locks to keep it in place when the canopy is down.

I'm not sure if i can put an open post to tell you where we had the work done , but please PM me and I'll be glad to point you in the right direction,

Cheers

Can you post a piccy please?

Under radar arches,
We drive our boat away,
Under radar arches,
we look at bridges and we say.
”Bugger me we’re stuffed here”
”The Ratheon’s had it’s day”

Cos here comes bloody Wroxham It’s sweeping,

Our Hi-tech all away

With countless apologies to Flanagan and Allen

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

For some completely unknown reason such hinges are called 'Jimmies' in Norfolk!

The vent holes so the wood can breathe are a nice touch

8 minutes ago, FairTmiddlin said:

That's so the critters that made the holes can breathe. Nice to have wildlife close at hand sometimes

How considerate of the man who fixed the hinge to leave some screws out, I doubt the critters could make holes through the steel hinge.