To Travel Hopefully Is A Better Thing Than To Ar

14 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Isn’t The Liberator the ship from Blake’s 7 , was Kate’s favourite show as a youngster 

You could be right but it was named after a famous day in May 1945 for the 70th anniversary of the liberation of the rock Simon

I remember Poole, been there many times but under sail only once. Did they ever sort out the harbour  where the council removed the mooring rings as a trip hazzard to the public, and then got upset at the sailors mooring to the very heavy plant pots they put there instead?

They built a marina on the quay for visitors mooring, rather than the old style rafting up alongside. So it’s just the commercial vessels alongside the quay now, no idea what they tie up to though... think it’s massive (slightly decorative) metal posts from memory... I will have to go and look now!!..

Boating:

Journey 60 destination 40

Flying: For pleasure 90 destination 10 journey, for business 90 journey 10 destination (Only applies when up the front of the plane)

Lady from Coventry: 90 journey 10 destination

For me, flying and driving are all about the destination. In both cases,  have grown to dislike the overcrowding  and the unpredictability  of the journey and in the case of flying, the security checks we have to undergo,  the commercial exploitation of passengers in our airports and, nowadays, having to turn right when I get on the plane.

I don't travel by train much, but when I do, it usually involves either a steam-driven  beast with the smells of hot oil and smoke, or a historic line. In both of these cases, it is all about the journey. 

On the water, when sailing, it has to be about the journey rather than the destination whilst on the motorboat, I see it as 50:50.  I love the  ever-changing scenery and the fact that you never know who or what you are going to encounter next.  

I hate driving, though I have to do it, and I don’t much like airports, so I choose not to fly. Boating in all its forms is relaxing and my preferred method of travel.

That said; I have found a difference between the way we used hire boats (always motor) and the way we use our own boat (sail). When we hired, it was all about getting the most out of the boat, rather than the destination; though we loved the destinations; and I think that this was because we always knew that we had to give it back at the end of the week.

Now owning a boat, it’s still largely about the journey, but we don’t feel that we have to push ourselves so much, which actually makes the journey even more enjoyable, as it is even more relaxing; we sail, and we stop where and when we want. Best of both!

This might change however if we do take the boat out to sea; then it will become more about the destination, just to feel that we have arrived safely.

I enjoy a car journey - if someone else is driving 

I enjoy a chug down the river - if someone else is at the helm 

quite like flying - definitely if someone else is at the sticks tho 

some would say " chilled out " some would say " Lazy boy " personally  i don't mind either :default_biggrin: 

• Like 1