Dry (lead) Crystal Batteries

I found this interesting (but they're unavailable at the moment - see greyed out price list):-

http://www.motorcaravanning.co.uk/shopuk/galax_e_leisure_batteries.htm

100% discharge without damage? 

I suppose these would be compatible with the usual charging regime for lead acid batteries.

On another subject:-

Does anyone have a copy of the (now obsolete) Driftgate 2000 X-Alt Alternator Charge Controller Installation/Setup Instructions that I could borrow or buy (or perhaps a pdf copy that I could have please)?

Rgds,

Steve

p.s. wish I could find out why my text drops 2 lines every time I hit return...

If if understand their write up correctly (and I emphasise only if that's true) , charging as if it were an AGM battery is normal but apparently it will stand the increased voltage of being charged as if it were a flooded lead acid battery.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Correction to prices in last post:-

GLX-E (100 amp hr) is actually £250.50

including a pair of post adapters, VAT and (currently) free delivery

Of course that's still very expensive, but what a spec (read the full article)

Highlights:-

Spill free (almost dry)

No fumes when charging

3-4 times the life of normal lead acid batteries

No sulphation (ever)

Leave discharged without damage

Routinely deeper discharge in service than other types without damage (i.e. continuous useful power output for longer before recharge)

100% discharge possible without destroying (although service life is lowered)

And at the end of the day, 99% recyclable when they finally need replacing

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Hi Ella Yes that is a better price,they look good but!! four times the price of lead acid ,are you going to try one or more,if so perhaps you will keep us informed.John     here is a cost comparison chart scan014.thumb.jpg.fdb8b57cbe5dfab86dfa77f5c5d8c470.jpg

Hi Just had a thought you may like to know what the abbreviation are,   Lead Acid= leisure/starter two lead plates in sulphuric acid.   A G M=Absorbent Glass Fibre the same as Gel batteries  can be laid on their side  cannot be fast charged and NOT suitable for engine starting  L F P=Lithium is expensive but needs careful charging. NiFe= the old accumulator battery lasts forever but does need topping up with distilled water as it gases if fast charged also heavy and tall only come in 1.2 volts so need you need nine for a 12 volt system but cheapest in long run 30 yrs plus ideal for electric propulsion ( how long will you keep your boat) that's why lead acid often works best for most people) cheap to buy little maintenance can be fast charged above the ten amp rate with little harm last 5yrs + with care if connected like this. John

img004.jpg

• Thanks 1