Rnli Online Shop

petersjoy

On 11/05/2018 at 16:00, vanessan said:
On 11/05/2018 at 15:00, JennyMorgan said:

Ones with bloke's heads on them by any chance? 

Storm in a mug that, those guys should be reinstated immediately and the lady from the rnli given a good talking to. 

Hmm. . . .    Not much reaction to that, was there? Probably because on a forum such as this, the clear majority are members of the RNLI and have been for years. So perhaps you feel the same deep embarrassment that I do.

There is no doubt that I would have been a member of a lifeboat crew but I have never lived near enough to the coast and have never had a job which would have given me the time available to devote. Instead, I was a member of the Norwich fund-raising committee of the RNLI (chaired in those days by Tony Bentall) and have spent my share of evenings, going round the houses, wearing an RNLI sweater and a smile, and rattling a collecting box. I subscribed, as what they call a "governor" for 45 years until I lost my job and had to cut out all payments to charities. I wrote to them to explain this, and to hope that I could subscribe again in future when my circumstances got better.

I never received any acknowledgement whatever to my letter. Now, I am lucky enough to be able to contribute again but I have not renewed my subscription. I have become very suspicious that the RNLI management has turned itself into another part of what the press is calling the "charities industry".

In my day, the RNLI kept itself apart from any government funding, preferring to remain totally independent of any outside influence and relying, therefore, on its own expertise and seamanship. Nowadays, it seems to me that it is imposing this very same creeping and malevolent influence on itself.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

I have become very suspicious that the RNLI management has turned itself into another part of what the press is calling the "charities industry".

I have family who have lived in or around Poole, home to  the RNLI's headquarters for many years and this thinking has been prevalent in the local community for some time. 

• Like 1

There was a two page spread in yesterday's Daily Mail - whoops, that puts me in a category, doesn't it - but it is well worth reading.

There is a coxswain with 34 years service and an MBE to show for it, who has been sacked for holding an un-authorised training exercise. Not sure how you sack a volunteer but there you are. His comments, when interviewed, are scathing.

It also seems that the crew of St Helier station have resigned en bloc and are now starting their own volunteer rescue service, for which funds are already coming in.

Very sad days for a fine institution.

Vaughan, very sad reading: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5719757/Britains-heroic-lifeboat-volunteers-drowning-sea-political-correctness.html

Inevitably I see paralels with our beloved Broads Authority, installing senior managers with qualifications but little or no real experience or knowledge of what they purport to manage.

• Sad 2

5 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Vaughan, very sad reading: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5719757/Britains-heroic-lifeboat-volunteers-drowning-sea-political-correctness.html

Inevitably I see paralels with our beloved Broads Authority, installing senior managers with qualifications but little or no real experience or knowledge of what they purport to manage.

Sadly the practice of installing senior managers with qualifications but little or no real experience or knowledge of what they purport to manage is common place, look at the NHS, any of the energy providers etc etc............ ad infinitum.

I started work in the motor industry and in the early days it was still common for the senior managers to have started on the shop floor or in the drawing office. 

I was lost with the 3 posts after i started this thread. Now i've had my eyes opened.

Got to agree with Philosophical's post above.

it started happening in the company i retired from last year. management putting different working practices in place making it difficult for people on the shop floor to do their basic job with  loads of paperwork and reports to do too. Just had a text from old collegues saying it's totally changed from when i left with more wanting to leave.

Just had a look on RNLI job site.....anyone for the job of Director of community lifesaving salary only £95k :default_icon_eek:

4 minutes ago, petersjoy said:

I was lost with the 3 posts after i started this thread. Now i've had my eyes opened.

Got to agree with Philosophical's post above.

it started happening in the company i retired from last year. management putting different working practices in place making it difficult for people on the shop floor to do their basic job with  loads of paperwork and reports to do too. Just had a text from old collegues saying it's totally changed from when i left with more wanting to leave.

Just had a look on RNLI job site.....anyone for the job of Director of community lifesaving salary only £95k :default_icon_eek:

One milestone where it all started to go wrong was when the "Personnel Dept" become HR, till then managers could "have a quiet word" over minor misdemeanors and the issue usually stopped there. Not now, now there is a whole process of formal counselling, the employee right to reply, documentation, the committee to decide on how the employee is to be repremanded etc.  Leaving bad feelings all round when a quiet word in someone's ear would have been sufficient.

3 minutes ago, Philosophical said:

One milestone where it all started to go wrong was when the "Personnel Dept" become HR, till then managers could "have a quiet word" over minor misdemeanors and the issue usually stopped there. Not now, now there is a whole process of formal counselling, the employee right to reply, documentation, the committee to decide on how the employee is to be repremanded etc.  Leaving bad feelings all round when a quiet word in someone's ear would have been sufficient.

Spot on.

23 minutes ago, annv said:

I f people that have indulged in the Three Man Lift are sacked we would lose 50% of the armed services,it's a harmless prank practiced by groups of men when beer is involved. John 

Another tool that "corporate" management has forgotten how to use is the ability to "turn a blind eye" where appropriate.

18 minutes ago, VetChugger said:

There will be a "Committee Creation Committee" before long!

Is that before or after the "Steering Committee" is formed?

Whilst I like many abhor the inflated salaries being awarded to those in high office at the RNLI , I would like to thank all those who selflessly continue to risk their lives and give their time freely in order to provide what is still an honourable and much needed service to mariners both amateur and professional at sea or inland .

Thank you and you have my continued support both financially and emotionally 

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Philosophical said:

Fully agree. They have been interfering in matters that should be handled by managers where I work as well. luckily in one case the managers stepped in and put a stop to their antics.  HR, they are neither Human or Resourceful !!

• Like 1

Hello

Have been reading these post's with interest, can I just say do not beleave all you read in the papers the RNLI were requested to give a reply this was given by both volunteers and paid staff but the paper decided not to include this reply. May be it did not make such good reading?

Bob

• Thanks 2

I will always support the RNLI as long as I can. I'm glad to say I have never needed their help but have been close to it when diving off the Farne Islands with a dead outbound on a rib. We got a tow from another boat back to harbour.

Any future restructuring within the RNLI should require ALL middle and upper management to take basic training and serve one month each year at a lifeboat station and be available to crew if required. Maybe a spell on the frontline might make men ( or women) of them. 

I have every admiration for what these guys are prepared to do. I , in the past, have trained divers in rescue and diver emergency recovery in all conditions but even in my younger days I don't think I could do what these guys call just another day.

I don't care if the guy pulling me out of the water has a mug with a nude lady on it or has had an 'unscheduled ( allegedly ) boat trip' saves my life. I would be forever grateful as I'm sure my family would be.

Upper and middle management don't see the real world they only have 'visions' of it.

Sorry, rant over, but I know who I support.

Colin:default_beerchug:

• Like 5