Restoration Of Judith

I'm new to NBN but not the broads, I've been going on the broads since I was only a few years old. My parents bought Judith 2 from Martham Boats back in about 1992. We had her in the family for a good few years till they regrettably had to sell her. After 20 odd years and coming back to the broads we have been lucky enough to find her again and purchase her back from the family we sold her too. She has been in a shed for a good few years and now the restoration is underway. Martham Boats are sorting her hull and next year the upgrade of the inside will start! The NBN seems the ideal place to ask questions and share experiences along the way. FB_IMG_1511728363093.jpg

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Like 21

On ‎14‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 14:58, Victoryv said:

Been there, seen it, done it, couldn't afford the T shirt afterwards!

You're more than welcome to look over our Judith.

Same here, you are more than welcome to look at Broadland Grebe. Those of us who have embarked on a restoration project will share your pain and pleasure.  

• Like 1

sounds to me she is more than just a boat - personal family memories attached to a boat over time are special .thanks for sharing your restoration with us 

finny  
She is definitely more than just a boat, many happy family memories on board and more to come. I can't wait.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Well after what seems to be a long time....... Well it was really she's in the water and ready to use. Still some tidying to do on the inside but that's a whole new project in itself. Martham Boats have done a great job and spent a lot of time on her to get her back in the water. Just need to sort the injector pump and we will see some of you at Beccles!IMG_0630.jpeg

• Like 10

On 02/07/2018 at 18:37, PeteBelham said:

The planking on Judith is almost complete, they have done a great job. Soon it will be time to crack open the paint! IMG_20180701_095413.jpgIMG_20180701_095348.jpgIMG_20180701_095253.jpg

I’m surprised they had any wood left after mine 😄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PeteBelham said:

Well after what seems to be a long time....... Well it was really she's in the water and ready to use. Still some tidying to do on the inside but that's a whole new project in itself. Martham Boats have done a great job and spent a lot of time on her to get her back in the water. Just need to sort the injector pump and we will see some of you at Beccles!IMG_0630.jpeg

Always good to see them back in the water looking splendid

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

I need some of your trusted knowledge. Next week I shall be spending a week in Norfolk sorting out Judith's top sides. The varnish needs to be removed and we need to start again really. This year we had to have the whole of the rear window section and deck removed and replaced, this now means we have two different types of wood and they are different shades. The new mahogany is a lovely colour and I'd like the rest of her to match this colour. How do I achieve this? Can you colour match varnish?

Hmmm, not easy and takes years n years of experience - Read experience as Trial and error or even Learn by do method to get a 'Match' prior to varnishing.  Some sort of stain on proper clean timber, keep adding further applications to get as near as you can then once over the whole lot then varnish away. I've had to do this method a few times and it worked for me

Griff

• Like 1

I took my boat back to the bare wood this year, I was just behind you in the shed. I had to replace a couple of planks and got the larger one from Martham  but it was much pinker than the rest. A bit of experimentation with some stain and it now blends in quite well.

Ravillak varnish has a bit of colour to it unlike Brava so I put six coats of that first before eight coats of Brava, it was only going to be six but someone sanded down a grey cabin side next to my wet varnish so it got rubbed down and two more coats.

82719982-FA53-4972-9F7A-D1442491FBB4.jpeg

2FAA2296-67AA-4A7E-AAD8-784C12AF2AC4.jpeg

D55F2FF6-0164-47A7-BE17-6D549CE284B5.jpeg

8ED7DB09-4E5C-4063-BDCC-A2EA9B423F3E.jpeg

00914EAD-A3EF-4370-9AE6-38DA738EC56D.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Wow, Nipper looks great! Sounds like experimenting with stain and lots of coats of varnish is the way forward. I do like having the boat in the shed but if someone sands something just after you've painted it can be frustrating.

It's certainly been a busy week, new bildge pump, water pump electrics repaired and sanding. Judith has kept me busy all week with various issues. It was a good job I was down this week as she would have been at the bottom of the Thurne is I hadn't. Two bildge pumps it is from now can't have one fail again! We have been out for a few days making sure all her new planks etc are holding and everything works, it did and the engine is now perfect thanks to Alan at Martham and lots of new bits! So much more power and economy. All was going well until the water pump stopped for the domestic water. I thought this would mean a trip to Brain Wards but it was just the wiring so that was lucky as wasn't as expensive as a new pump. Speaking of luck I asked about colour matching varnish last week, well after some investigative works I've discovered that she won't need colour matching, all she needs is all the old varnish and stain removing back to bare wood then varnishing as she's mahogney all over! So I've decided that's a shed job this winter!!. Just attached a photo of us at Horsey IMG_20200803_162445.jpeg

• Like 5