One For Privateers.

JennyMorgan

Down on Oulton Broad, thirteen quid for a day return ticket to spare, why not head through Mutford Lock. Several of my friends did the round trip, Oulton Broad to Oulton Broad via the North Sea at the weekend, here's a few snaps. You don't have to go to sea but if you work the tides then it can be great fun. However a trip around the harbour is always packed with interest.

P5122048.JPG

P5122058.JPG

P5122063.JPG

• Like 6

For those so inclined a trip around the Island of Lothingland is doable in a day, even in a small boat with a max speed of about five knots. They had both wind and tide taking them along the coast to Gorleston, the tide was chosen, the wind was dead lucky!

P5122085.JPG

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

When you say a few of your friends, is it just coincidence they ALL have Drascombes?.  Great little boats with excellent sea keeping qualities.

Greece to UK

UK to Australia

And Webb Chiles virtually a circumnavigation

What a record!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

Greece to UK

UK to Australia

And Webb Chiles virtually a circumnavigation

What a record!

That point was made when the BA sought to be able to close Breydon to privateers. Saying that it's closed to boats, even Drascombes, just in from sea because it was to rough just didn't stack up.

• Like 2

Great to see some sailing boats with,  Errrr not a sail in sight!!! :default_icon_e_biggrin: (Joke)

Looks a bit too calm to have given you a decent push in the breeze? Looks lovely weather though. 

Thats a classic about stopping you crossing Brendon though :default_cool:

I too was surprised about the lowered sails. I would have hoisted before leaving but there we go. They left Lowestoft at 10.15 and apparently arrived, under sail and tide assisted, at Gorleston just after 12.30. One good thing about a Drascombe is that they are unashamably very able motor sailers, good under oars too. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Good second hand ones come up at £3k to £5k, ideal for North Norfolk.

I must keep my resolve...No More Boat Ownership, just a bit of charter. Tempting!

When I looked at a coaster last January, new from either manufacturer (Honnor have eventually sold and are in Swanage. Think the Cape Cutter might have been spun off) Fully kitted out with brakeback trailer and 8hp powerthrust Honda, you were looking at circa £30K. At 29 or 39 even 49 but at an arthritic 69?

9 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

I too was surprised about the lowered sails. I would have hoisted before leaving but there we go. They left Lowestoft at 10.15 and apparently arrived, under sail and tide assisted, at Gorleston just after 12.30. One good thing about a Drascombe is that they are unashamably very able motor sailers, good under oars too. 

About 30 years ago I was crew in a Drascombe which I think was a Longboat in horrendous short square waves in Loch Ness under fore and mizzen, no main and a Yamaha sail drive outboat of around 9hp. We motorsailed through it with the power of a yacht twice the size, no problem except it was a bit wet. The lines of the hull like a coble of Viking origins can ride exception wave patterns. Fantastic boats.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChrisB said:

I must keep my resolve...No More Boat Ownership, just a bit of charter. Tempting!

When I looked at a coaster last January, new from either manufacturer (Honnor have eventually sold and are in Swanage. Think the Cape Cutter might have been spun off) Fully kitted out with brakeback trailer and 8hp powerthrust Honda, you were looking at circa £30K. At 29 or 39 even 49 but at an arthritic 69?

I find a Longboat very sympathetic towards an arthritic 72! 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

But how come people sail past and don't see it? 

Just like our Orwell Bridge(car wise) there are camera signs, speed signs and camera's painted in yellow, but we still get idiots who seem oblivious to these simple things and get fined.