Monte Carlo Or Bust!

We are taking over the good ship Monte  Carlo this afternoon and will be on the north rivers this week. Tomorrow to Coltishall tide permitting, Thursday night maybe Womack, then the meet at salhouse. Next week we hope to get to Geldeston and up the Yare to Thorpe.

Hope to see some friends about!

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

100_3556.thumb.jpg.fbddccaf9c77d43898a3b07cabbe2f7b.jpg

100_3545.thumb.jpg.8b0b7064694ca9a697d252fbc5a42bca.jpg

100_3557.thumb.jpg.12acdb0d7e3bad2f387e3638b97ead8d.jpg

These were taken on Womack Water at 0530 on Friday morning, where we were moored on a mud weight. There were 24 hire boats moored on the staithe but I was the only one to enjoy one of the most famous wildlife sights on the Broads. No-one else was up!

100_3599.thumb.jpg.a4353f30729863e56f0b42ca5e423bbb.jpg

This was 0530 on Monday morning on our way from Ranworth to catch the tide at Yarmouth. The heron was perched on the signpost but it flew off just as I took the photo.

100_3602.thumb.jpg.a987dbfc6535e0d27857dfaa502433e4.jpg

St Benets Level mill.

We had a lovely afternoon and evening in the Bell at St Olaves on Monday and spent last night moored outside the Ship at Reedham, where we had a very good meal with family and where I am now sitting waiting for the tide to turn, with  a pint of Broadside.

Probably Coldham hall tonight.    :default_beerchug:

• Like 10

Sounds like you're having a great time Vaughan. How is Monte Carlo? 

Are you on board until Tuesday? I'm coming up to Norwich on Sunday with Mrs Broads01 for 2 nights in Premier Inn then boat from Richardsons on Tuesday pm. I don't know if our paths will cross but it would be good to say hello. 

57 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

Sounds like you're having a great time Vaughan. How is Monte Carlo? 

Are you on board until Tuesday? I'm coming up to Norwich on Sunday with Mrs Broads01 for 2 nights in Premier Inn then boat from Richardsons on Tuesday pm. I don't know if our paths will cross but it would be good to say hello. 

Be careful. The bounders hospitality at the meet has unfortunately given me gout.

Andrew

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Broads01 said:

We are giving the boat up on Saturday but we have another week in one of the holiday cottages in Wroxham on the riverfront, nice and close to the shed! Let us know if you are coming that way and we can meet for a pint. I believe the cottage has its own mooring!

• Like 1

So you didn't make Thorpe then. Probably better for me as I've got on with the repairs to Lady Linda. Hope to see you and Susie should the camper be parked in The Buck for a chat and a drink. Seems you have been blessed with the weather.

Regards from Colin and Ruth:default_winko:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Vaughan said:

We are giving the boat up on Saturday but we have another week in one of the holiday cottages in Wroxham on the riverfront, nice and close to the shed! Let us know if you are coming that way and we can meet for a pint. I believe the cottage has its own mooring!

OK Vaughan. We'll definitely be coming to Wroxham, probably Wednesday. It'd be great to meet for a pint so I'll PM you nearer the time. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

img003.thumb.jpg.e39e592bd0d31eb5b92ecb3e96cacc81.jpg

I have just been looking for other photos and found this, which was my yard in Womack at the start of our first season, in 1976.

Below is what it looked like this year in May, taken from the same spot on the opposite bank.

100_3560.thumb.jpg.16b51580bea1cef3afb9b3437b11400f.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

I have just been looking for other photos and found this, which was my yard in Womack at the start of our first season, in 1976.

Below is what it looked like this year in May, taken from the same spot on the opposite bank.

I think it was more attractive when you owned it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Broads01 said:

Fascinating comparison, Vaughan, thanks for sharing. I always enjoy seeing old photos showing how things have changed. What was your boatyard called? 

When I bought it, it was called Womack Boats, and had been in business for quite a while. I changed the trading name to Womack Cruisers in order to avoid being taken to court for all the previous owner's unpaid bills.

I named all the boats after the Sir Lancelot class landing ships that I had served on in the army, hence the depiction of a heraldic lance on the bows.

Originally it had been a wherry building and repair yard, owned by Robert Harrison and there is a photo in "Wherries and Waterways" by Robert Malster. The slip leading up the side to the car park behind was very long and gradual and could still have hauled out a wherry.

Maybe I should have sold it to the Wherry Trust, who were looking for a base at the time! The Albion used to moor on my front quay in winter and I moored my boats on the other side of her. So I woke up in the morning, drew my bedroom curtains and looked out on a Norfolk Wherry.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, charlesa said:

1st boat in your photo Golden Emblem Vaughan ?

Close, but not quite!

It is the Bourne 35 hull, as Golden Emblem, but fitted out by Brooms. These were the early days of moulding GRP superstructures, so these had separate deck mouldings, cabin sides and cabin tops, a bit like an Airfix model kit, and were built around internal beams and bulkheads in the conventional manner.

The wooden effect of the cabin sides was actually Formica, glassed into the cabin side behind clear resin.

I saw one moored up when I was here in May - looking a bit sad now. Reg numbers have changed over the years, so I didn't know if it was one of mine or not. I believe around 10 of them were built.

The only photo I have 1962 before your arrival . I seem to remember stopping at the yard in 76 where the then Mrs. Ashby, Moira,  was heavily pregnant with your first ?  child. Those were the days 1952 when you could get moorings, no ster on then.

Womack  Water April 1962.jpeg

Womack Staithe 1952.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 18/07/2018 at 14:30, charlesa said:

1st boat in your photo Golden Emblem Vaughan ?

Wavechief.thumb.jpeg.8246ab28f87c6cc218287cde1aa0ed98.jpeg

Here is the boat from Blakes brochure in 1974.

It seems they also did a version on the Bourne 40 hull, but I don't remember those.

I think this must have been just before Martin Broom got together with Ian Mackintosh and another, to start up Aquafibre.

Vaughan I rather think it is actually Monarch.  Gerald Sketch and his family used to  holiday on Monarch while we always used Landamores. I of course  could be mistaken. (often I am)

Vestas at Horning Ferry 1947.jpeg

• Like 2

• 3 years later...
On 18/07/2018 at 03:41, Vaughan said:

Vaughan

May I share this on the FB groups I have that is dedicated to the Harrison's of Ludham and the Harrison-Lake-Cossey Boats pages.  I am sure other descendants of Robert Harrison would like to see it.

3 hours ago, Gcossey said:

May I share this on the FB groups I have that is dedicated to the Harrison's of Ludham and the Harrison-Lake-Cossey Boats pages.  I am sure other descendants of Robert Harrison would like to see it.

Yes, with pleasure and a warm welcome to the forum.

This is a very good place to share Broads history!