Hampton Safari

fourways

after no luck finding a viking 20 we are now looking at a hampton safaris.theres one on boatshed wish seems to have water in the bilge is this normal for a boat of this age. and another one has a yanmar engine any oppinions on them would help.

I love the Hampton 25 Safari, and nearly bought one. Great little boats with a surprising amount of space for a 25 footer. As for water in the bilge, no problem, even newish boats will have water there. Why it's in there should be revealed by a full marine survey. It could be rainwater coming down through various gaps, or river water through the stern gland etc etc. Is the boat ashore, or afloat, and does it fill up quickly, if afloat, that's when you should be asking serious questions, as the remedy nay be expensive.

My best advice would be to go and have a look, preferably with a very experienced freind, as they will be able to look without rose tinted glasses. Then as I said, a full marine survey.

With regard water in the bilge ........I would be very worried with my Hampton if there was no water in the bilge there should be slight drip  from the stern gland if not expect your shaft to ware quicker than normal ........another thing I would check is the rudder stock gland they are not much higher than the waterline and also new packing ...........good idea to put on a service list 

finny

If you will forgive me, I think you might be missing a trick here.

In your shoes, I wouldn't settle for a make/model but instead keep looking at all boats that roughly fit your desired spec. I can see that you have found that the Viking fits the bill, but there might be others which have things to offer. 

• Like 1

There is a fantastic, very well looked after M2 Hampton for sale in Horning, im not sure where its advertised as the seller did not was to use a brokerage.  £20k looking for £18k is the upper end of Hampton value but this is a nice one, I believe an offer of £15k was rejected, I would be happy to put anyone interested in contact with its owner. 

I presume you have spent time on a Viking 20, but have you actually been on a Safari? the reason I ask is they are very different boats and I am struggling to see how they have ended up on a 2 boat shortlist.

If you did want a Safari, I have never seen so many up for sale at once as there are at the moment so there is certainly a good choice.

I think Fourways is looking for a boat that is small and easy to manage, cheap to run and moor and so would be handy if came in under 30ft.

I personally would find a Viking far too compact and for everyday cruising and staying over on etc an Outboard is not my choice. However, there are many other aft cockpit boats between 24ft and 27ft that you could look into, under £15,000 (if I just take as a top end budget) that have inboard diesel engines.

The bonus of an aft cockpit is the outside space and cruising along on a nice day in the open, the downside is the accommodation space is reduced when tied up and down below after a days cruise. Hampton's, for their size pack in a great deal of accommodation in three distinct areas from saloon to galley to cabin and also allow you to cruise along with the roof back. However, they have a big following (like Seamasters) and you do have some owners who go above and beyond with refurbishments and make them stunning - the price then increases, equally you can find far more basic boats which will need some attention for a lot less. I'd be looking for the middle ground. Nothing too fancy and pricey, but avoiding the bottom end where you will have hands in pockets right after the Contract is signed to put things right on known issues.

Rascals' top tip would be to buy something like a Sun Seeker Predator, but you;re clearly sane and sensible so how about 27ft Elysian Aft Cockpit or Centre Cockpit boats and also Freeman 27's to my eye always look modern externally,  and have a lovely interior. Try to keep an open mind as to type and concentrate more on budget and do go look and get a feel of the boats past the adverts (something I should do myself).

• Like 1

If you can get one within budget, a 'genuine' Bounty 27 aft cockpit (the later models with part-moulded interior) are a good boat for the money.

Safari 25's are a good boat, but the beds are not suitable for taller people.

I agrre

37 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

Try to keep an open mind as to type and concentrate more on budget and do go look and get a feel of the boats past the adverts (something I should do myself).

I agree strongly with this, twice when we were looking we set of to view a boat convinced it was the one (from photos etc) but once on board opinions changed rapidly. The good news is there is lots of choice at up to 15k, you can a very nice boat for that money, BUT you can also buy a whole heap of trouble and additional cost so go in with your eyes very wide open

4 minutes ago, oldgregg said:

Safari 25's are a good boat, but the beds are not suitable for taller people.

Not always, mine has a different layout to most (it has the engine aft on hydraulic drive) and the bed is the same length as a standard household double, but can you get comfortable in the bed is a good example of something you cant tell from a photo

40s, Rascal and Gregg have it spot on - our shopping list was "25-30 feet, aft cockpit, diesel on shaft and pumpout bog for under £15k" We spent the thick end of 6 months driving between the Thames and the Ouse before we found our Bounty 27 AC at Potter. We looked at some absolute sheds - the worst was at Ely, advertised as ' well-maintained, ready to go with full history' she was on the hard and you could smell her from 20 paces and see through the rot-holes in the woodwork! Didn't even brave the ladder. No Worries has done us proud for 7 years and is ideal for the two of us and the dog. Keep searching, your boat IS out there.

thanks for all the good advise of to David Mawby at Nottingham marina on saturday to view a viking 23. I saw the hampton at horning  by far was the best one but over priced (in my opinion) for a boat of that age did put offer in but turned down.have owned a viking 20 jubilee before but always fancied a quicksilver pilothouse weekender.after one summer found out wrong boat for the broads to hot inside to steer and  uncomfortable when sitting on the seating on the  back. but then again its a fishing boat. we looked at the hampton as robin said we were looking for under 30ft cheap to run and moor and with a fixed bed.

The narrow beam of the 23 makes Potter's arched bridge a doddle, our dear late friend Richard (Viking23) would run Potter when my 20 would not. The downside is your side decks are narrow but if you are agile not a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

still looking for a hampton safari if there are any private owners wishing to sell. viewed all the ones around norfolk up for sale on the web and local brokers. pay upto £17k.looked at the viking and as chrisB said very narrow side wish the wife refused to waik on, 

3 hours ago, oldgregg said:

Have you considered a Calypso? They're a very spacious boat for their size and good side decks on them too.

These ones sold a while ago, but give you an idea of the space 

https://www.nya.co.uk/boats-for-sale/calypso-28/

https://www.nya.co.uk/boats-for-sale/calypso-28-12/

I agree,  the Calypso's are nice solid boats,

I would avoid the fixed dinette style if you prefer a proper settee.

I have a full 6'6" x 6' fixed bed  in mine.

17k should get you a nice one.