Planning Alert Oulton Broad

9 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

It appears to have been removed from public viewing.

Try again, the website is a bit glitchy, I am looking at it now

Cannot see anything disastrous there - modest expansion, more public moorings etc etc. Surely its better there than on a brand new, unspoilt site? And the public moorings will not go amiss - just what Oulton Broad needs.

Its hardly the most scenic of areas so if you are to grow something, it seems a good idea to do it where there is already development?

4 minutes ago, quo vadis said:

according to the plans the client is tingdene :default_gbxhmm:

That's that then passed , had it been an individual it could be a few whole lot different .

Is it really likely that an individual would own such a place in the first place? Well he might but it would have to be a wealthy one, like Len!!!

And indeed, I cannot see that that would make any difference - its hardly going to alter significantly that corner, except possibly upgrade it!!!

3 hours ago, marshman said:

Cannot see anything disastrous there - modest expansion, more public moorings etc etc. Surely its better there than on a brand new, unspoilt site? And the public moorings will not go amiss - just what Oulton Broad needs.

Its hardly the most scenic of areas so if you are to grow something, it seems a good idea to do it where there is already development?

It is largely on an undeveloped, unspoilt site, right next door to a nationally important wet-land nature reserve, right next door to if not actually on a triple SI & Ramsar site, in the Oulton Broad conservation area, at odds with the local planning policy and it sticks at least thirty meters out into the Broad, really nothing of any significance! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, marshman said:

Is it really likely that an individual would own such a place in the first place? Well he might but it would have to be a wealthy one, like Len!!!

And indeed, I cannot see that that would make any difference - its hardly going to alter significantly that corner, except possibly upgrade it!!!

He was, hugely so, it was his hobby!

Stayed in a chalet there when they first opened then as a visitor in our boat mooored on the jetty with a lovely view of the broad, and good clubhouse,,loved the place till it got taken over .all good things come to an end as they say.:default_icon_mad:

With the huge developments planned for this part of East Anglia thousands more people will move into the area. A proportion of those will aspire to boat ownership and The Broads will come under pressure to supply more permanent and temporary moorings. The Northern Rivers especially the Upper Ant are near capacity which makes the Southern Rivers and Dykes attractive for expansion.

What is the answer? Cap the numbers of both private and hire boats? Is that legal in tidal waters? It can be done on safety grounds, Yarmouth harbour IOW. Is regularly closed in high season. Pagham RSPB reserve is tidal but boating is all but banned and licences die with their holder. How do you protect these Internationally important sites from such pressures and increased pollution? Have No-Go areas or allow only passage through the channels in places like Barton.

Playing The Devils Advocate here:- there is a designation that can protect the naturally beautiful and scientifically importand areas it is called " A National Park"  and it has legislation that it can use to do so.

I have noted the changes creeping in to North Norfolk and Broadland in the last five years or so, it is getting busier largely due to the road building plans. Frankly I would not be surprised if the Wroxham bypass and new river crossing  does not get resurrected at some point. I feel there is a very great danger of the area losing what people come here for, be that as visitors, or for life.

• Like 1

Very realistic appreciation of the situation, Chris. 

Whilst the Broads is not an NP it does have much of the same protection. As far as a marina at Oulton Broad is concerned I don't suppose there would be much objection had the proposal been to flood an area behind the current river wall however Oulton Broad is now surrounded by either expensive residential land or nature reserves. That said there is an area called The Dead End which could be made use of and once again I don't think that there would be much objection. Regretfully the proposal is largely out in open water. I do wonder what the reaction would be if proposal had been on Barton Broad for example. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Very realistic appreciation of the situation, Chris. 

Whilst the Broads is not an NP it does have much of the same protection. As far as a marina at Oulton Broad is concerned I don't suppose there would be much objection had the proposal been to flood an area behind the current river wall however Oulton Broad is now surrounded by either expensive residential land or nature reserves. That said there is an area called The Dead End which could be made use of and once again I don't think that there would be much objection. Regretfully the proposal is largely out in open water. I do wonder what the reaction would be if proposal had been on Barton Broad for example. 

Difficult on Barton, not withstanding it is owned by NWT but I know exactly where you are coming from Peter. I can envisage seasonal pontoons like used at the Southampton Boat Show at places like Ranworth but also as revenue generation at places like Salhouse, the private parts of Ranworth, to increase seasonal capacity at certain boatyards and indeed by the riparian owners on wide rivers. Perhaps this would be the easy option to the 24 hour mooring problem in high season:- Privatisation! At sea unless you swing to your own hook, you pay. With greater demand comes less supply, maybe the free mooring will become a distant memory.

• Like 1

The method statement and specifications document is an interesting read, they are using the Walcon 2000 floating pontoon system, which is top quality kit. It will be assembled at Brundall and taken to site by river

So, if I was lucky enough to own a riverside mooring, just how far out into the river can I build? Seems that just by owning the bank, some are able to make use of and money out of the areas withing the navigation as well.

If I was to moor my boat side on at my mooring and then decide to raft up another boat alongside is that acceptable? How about I work out that I can get three or maybe four boats in if I stern moor them? Oh yes, I will also need a pontoon to save all those ropes needing adjusting so thats another 6 foot gained.

Streets used to have (and maybe still do) a 'building line' so that everyone could build up to it but not beyond. Is there any such system for the rivers or can we just keep going till we have just a big enough gap to the other bank to not restrict navigation?

I look forward to seeing the application for 'Morgans Marina'. Whats good for the goose etc...