Planning Alert Oulton Broad

2 minutes ago, JanetAnne said:

Because if they turf him off they make him homeless and have to house him (or so I was told when I asked the same question recently) though I thought it was a different collection of boats on the same mooring.

We used to love overnighting there. 

No they would not make him homeless,  he would be like all the other genuine liveaboards who move around the broads.    If that was the case they could all rock up and moor wherever.      Loads of liveaboards who do not clutter the place like this.   Someone is pulling someone's p..ser here.

Now hang on a minute , quite a lot of you have passed this boat before and I do know the owner n he gets no trouble from anyone including BA , he's also rather tidy too , OK he's got stuff on land that's not his but is that such a big deal ( and that's from someone who thinks everything yiu own should fit on your boat ) but in this case its quite different ie its tidy , now I don't know where yiu sailed from Monica but if it was Norwich then you passed 2 sets of liveaboards one at the railway bridge coming out of the city and another at Thorpe marsh's n no way can you say they are anything like this set up , there are actually 4 boats there one on land and the others on water and all tolled , try entering some of the index numbers from the 2 previously mentioned sites and see if any of them are tolled n I think you'll find virtually all aren't and have far bigger n more unsightly areas along side their boats on land that isn't there's , I'm not defending using others land but at least that area is tidy , incidentally the owner is actually a pensioner not some new age hippy , doesn't drink n doesn't smoke n just wants piece and quiet n that's all . 

Edited to add , that boat actually moves quite a bit really and all 3 tolled boats go with the big one every time .

To me this is a perfect example of judging a book by its cover unfortunately I know full well who the owner is and the fact is he's actually a decent person , I unfortunately know dozens of others I can't say that about .

Oh dear ,  better apologise forthwith.    What can I say,   no we did not cruise to Norwich but just passed by this chap twice.    As you say you cannot judge a book by its cover, but Ricardo what folk see is what they see and it rather looks like someone has taken up residence for now and for always but you say he moves and he is a good sort, that is good enough for me.   Sorry.    As you say others are not tolled.

I will go and get back in my box.      Only joking...    shows how you can misjudge.

• Thanks 1

So if we are a good sort and toll our boats accordingly it would seem that we can take up residency on the river bank as long as it's tidy? 

I'm off to b&q to buy a nice new super tidy shed and pop it on the bank next to my mooring.  Some days I just can't believe my luck!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Whether we like it or not, every one judges and makes assumptions. I also think there is a lot of scope to be generous and 'live and let live'.

I do not know anything about this boat, of the owner. I have passed by the boat and have always thought if it was someone living onboard there they certainly keep the boat and mooring very neat. Of course where she is moored is not an area I often get to cruise along (yet anyway).

But while it may not be perhaps technically proper and legal and right that someone has moored their boat on a long term basis at a location, the fact they have and are keeping the area tidy and their boat in good order does get them over the first hurdle of judgment namely how it looks cosmetically and in keeping with the surroundings. The next is what the person is like, do they cause nuisance and noise, litter and issues to neighbors and so on? If that is also a no then even if you are the land owner you surly begin to just accept it.

They are not doing anyone harm, not causing a right mess to be cleared up from fly tipping items and other rubbish and simply sit there day in and week out quietly. Before long they begin to simply become a fixture in the landscape. If I owned the land I might ask them for a contribution to moor - £10 a month say, just so things could be on a even keel and all above board. Then if anyone else wondered, got nosy and the like they can keep on wondering.

In short, perhaps this is the ideal advertisement for a live-aboard boater. Nice boat, tidy location, keeping things quiet and causing no problems. Does it mean it is okay for anyone with that mindset and way could turn up on many moorings elsewhere and follow suit, no perhaps not - but on the other hand I would rather that than some of the eyesores that do exist and where Tolls are not paid and very little if no respect is given to those around them or the environmental impact their staying at a location causes.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, JanetAnne said:

So if we are a good sort and toll our boats accordingly it would seem that we can take up residency on the river bank as long as it's tidy? 

I'm off to b&q to buy a nice new super tidy shed and pop it on the bank next to my mooring.  Some days I just can't believe my luck!

I thought I'd been perfectly clear but apparently not , no in my book you cannot just use someone's land , but my point was and still is when the tidy ones get it in the neck how come no one notice's the untidy ones , at what point did you miss the fact I said I wasn't defending actions such as this ????

Whether we like it or not, every one judges and makes assumptions. I also think there is a lot of scope to be generous and 'live and let live'.

I do not know anything about this boat, of the owner. I have passed by the boat and have always thought if it was someone living onboard there they certainly keep the boat and mooring very neat. Of course where she is moored is not an area I often get to cruise along (yet anyway).

But while it may not be perhaps technically proper and legal and right that someone has moored their boat on a long term basis at a location, the fact they have and are keeping the area tidy and their boat in good order does get them over the first hurdle of judgment namely how it looks cosmetically and in keeping with the surroundings. The next is what the person is like, do they cause nuisance and noise, litter and issues to neighbors and so on? If that is also a no then even if you are the land owner you surly begin to just accept it.

They are not doing anyone harm, not causing a right mess to be cleared up from fly tipping items and other rubbish and simply sit there day in and week out quietly. Before long they begin to simply become a fixture in the landscape. If I owned the land I might ask them for a contribution to moor - £10 a month say, just so things could be on a even keel and all above board. Then if anyone else wondered, got nosy and the like they can keep on wondering.

In short, perhaps this is the ideal advertisement for a live-aboard boater. Nice boat, tidy location, keeping things quiet and causing no problems. Does it mean it is okay for anyone with that mindset and way could turn up on many moorings elsewhere and follow suit, no perhaps not - but on the other hand I would rather that than some of the eyesores that do exist and where Tolls are not paid and very little if no respect is given to those around them or the environmental impact their staying at a location causes.

If I wanted a residential mooring, would I not have to obtain planning permission, and would it not be considered that I was setting a precedent? The Broads could become like those canals with end-to-end residential boats on both banks, with few facilities and little or no control.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

31 minutes ago, Hylander said:

Oh dear ,  better apologise forthwith.    What can I say,   no we did not cruise to Norwich but just passed by this chap twice.    As you say you cannot judge a book by its cover, but Ricardo what folk see is what they see and it rather looks like someone has taken up residence for now and for always but you say he moves and he is a good sort, that is good enough for me.   Sorry.    As you say others are not tolled.

I will go and get back in my box.      Only joking...    shows how you can misjudge.

Don't worry about  it I was only setting the record straight via personal knowledge , I didn't mean to upset or annoy you :default_beerchug:

taking a guess at the location, there is a border between two different land owners at approximately where I think the boat lies, so each might consider the boat in the others land and be ignoring it. alternatively the landowner may have come to a gentlemans agreement with the boat owner. we will never know unless someone stops and asks, but really does it matter that much, if he is not bothering anyone and just wants some peace and quiet.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, High6 said:

If I wanted a residential mooring, would I not have to obtain planning permission, and would it not be considered that I was setting a precedent? The Broads could become like those canals with end-to-end residential boats on both banks, with few facilities and little or no control.

Oh be serious how much experience have yiu got of the canal network ? Me I've traveled the entire system in England an as a person living afloat n it gets right up my nose when all those that live on water get Tared with the same brush , end to end what a load of rubbish n no control is laughable to be honest CRT have far more powers than BA an use them .

Oh be serious how much experience have yiu got of the canal network ? Me I've traveled the entire system in England an as a person living afloat n it gets right up my nose when all those that live on water get Tared with the same brush , end to end what a load of rubbish n no control is laughable to be honest CRT have far more powers than BA an use them .
Sorry, Ricardo, I forgot you have done so much more and know far better than anyone else about every subject. Please forgive me for asking a simple question.

• Haha 2

The land is Brundall gardens as they had to supply 2 additional 24 hour moorings on the end of their land as a condition of the moorings expansion a couple of years ago.

The guy has been in residence for a good few years without being moved on.

It does beg the question,  is it alright to trespass as long as you don't make a mess ?

29 minutes ago, High6 said:

Sorry, Ricardo, I forgot you have done so much more and know far better than anyone else about every subject. Please forgive me for asking a simple question.

A heck of a lot more than most trust me , thing is I don't shout about it hence you don't know . 

16 minutes ago, psychicsurveyor said:

The land is Brundall gardens as they had to supply 2 additional 24 hour moorings on the end of their land as a condition of the moorings expansion a couple of years ago.

The guy has been in residence for a good few years without being moved on.

It does beg the question,  is it alright to trespass as long as you don't make a mess ?

So he is exploiting a loophole - the mooring was mandated by BA as 24hr but they do not control it and BG have no incentive to do anything as they get no income from it, plus the chap is keeping his head down and not causing any bother

1 minute ago, 40something said:

So he is exploiting a loophole - the mooring was mandated by BA as 24hr but they do not control it and BG have no incentive to do anything as they get no income from it, plus the chap is keeping his head down and not causing any bother

Just to clarify,  the area he uses is effectively a wild mooring, a good few yards past the 24 hour moorings.

11 minutes ago, psychicsurveyor said:

Just to clarify,  the area he uses is effectively a wild mooring, a good few yards past the 24 hour moorings.

Ah ok, I misunderstood

I would say if he has been there a few years he has effectively got landowners permission, so as long as the boats are tolled and he isn't polluting/causing a mess then I don't see a problem really

Not entirely sure brundall garden's actually own that land it possibly is under the control of the parish council as are the moorings above the BA ones , either way he's not making mess or creating havoc and up till today has been there for a number of yrs with no one batting an eyelid .

If he has been there minding his own business for 2 years is it not fair to suggest he might well have permission from the landowner and be doing no one any harm.

If they spread out onto the bank and turn the place into an extension of mile cross tip its fair game but if people are keeping their surroundings tidy I dont see what business it is of ours! 

2 minutes ago, psychicsurveyor said:

Someone must own the land and be turning a blind eye.

Could it be possible that he owns the land? Also, could it be possible that he has permission from the landowner? Some people are very quick to make a judgment without knowing the facts. Judging without knowing the facts is tantamount to prejudice. Clearly, this person is doing no harm to anyone. However, there are people who seem to find pleasure taking it upon themselves to make judgements about people who live a lifestyle different to their own. If someone is breaking the Law, it is up to the appropriate authorities to deal with it. 

The attitude of some people toward those who live aboard their boats on the Broads is shameful and reminds me of the unfortunate attitude we see toward travellers and Roma people. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, socrates said:

Could it be possible that he owns the land? Also, could it be possible that he has permission from the landowner? Some people are very quick to make a judgment without knowing the facts. Judging without knowing the facts is tantamount to prejudice. Clearly, this person is doing no harm to anyone. However, there are people who seem to find pleasure taking it upon themselves to make judgements about people who live a lifestyle different to their own. If someone is breaking the Law, it is up to the appropriate authorities to deal with it. 

The attitude of some people toward those who live aboard their boats on the Broads is shameful and reminds me of the unfortunate attitude we see toward travellers and Roma people. 

Bit harsh!

is not only a case of the few spoiling it for the many. 

The thread might be a bit misjudged lets not all get over excited!!