Relive The Fifties At Hemsby

http://www.hemsbyrocknroll.co.uk/

If any of you love the sound of the fifties this weekend is the Hemsby Rock n Roll weekender. The little café at the bottom of the strip (Opposite the American diner) usually has live bands playing during the day. The rest of the strip also looks like a fifties film set with the clothing, hairstyles and cars. Something different if you like that era.

S.

• Like 3

A bit like Mablethorpe.... I've been there twice, and there are amusement arcades that that take old pennies. Not sure what you would call the machines tho? They're the ones that have metal balls that roll round? 

The next time I went there was a Morris Dancing Festival

2 hours ago, Delilah said:

Bad photograph,  but a bit like this

DSC_0041.JPG

There used to be an arcade (lets call it that, but in reality it was a 8 x 6 shed) that was at Ingoldmells near to the cafe by the sea wall in the late sixties.

The cafe was good and I often bought fish & chips from the off-sales window, it was was of those places that had the salt & vinegar pots on short chains, these chains were so short that you had to move your food to one side and then to the other because the pots would not meet in the middle. It always tickled me as a child.

The arcade owner kept the machines that were hung on the outside of the shed inside overnight, they were all of the flicker ball type machines, as you say they worked on pennies, I helped the chap during my holidays.

The machines were mostly Allwins or Allwins Delux with the odd ones that you flipped a lever and the machine that had a disk on the front spun around.

It must have been good business because within a couple of years the owner built a 2000 foot arcade..

Regards

Alan

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Delilah said:

Bad photograph,  but a bit like this

DSC_0041.JPG

Lord Nelson 

Reedham.

Sorry getting confused with the "What pub" stuff.

Mrs W and I like to feed 2ps to the machines at the New inn.

The joy of "winning" 4p when it's cost you 20:default_blink:

• Like 1

A great weekend was had by all, some brilliant groups on the stages from early afternoon till the early hours. All the cars and trucks up and down beach road, and a Sunday trip on the Mississippi from Horning with a live band and 50`s DJ. The whole camp site has been upgraded by Richardson's and is pretty darn good. Ended up in a lodge with a hot tub...... Result!

No back to the present day in the office.............

Capture.JPG

• Like 2