Bad Manners

Ray

Just had 3 days out and about and as usual on the broads nearly everything was well mannered with happy people enjoying themselves. Waving, smiling and giving way with good natured thank yous and occasionally sorrys as appropriate.

I say nearly, as twice we were surprised by some less than polite behaviour from unexpected sources. In the first case we were legitimately overtaken by a private boat who then turned to port only to discover their way blocked by a temporary closure to their route. They then crossed back into the starboard channel right in front of us. When I say right in front I mean our bow was within spitting distance of their stern. They had reduced speed to make their manoeuvre and not increased it when rejoining hence it seemed appropriate to simply pass him, which I did without changing my speed or breaking the limit in force which was 4mph on this stretch. As I passed the helm was having a fit and holding up 4 fingers to indicate the speed limit. My gps speedo is as accurate as any but I accept his may have differed but given his previous movements I was only expecting to exchange a wave not misplaced abuse!

The next day we were gradually coming up on a yacht, although I don't sail I love them for their graceful, quiet beauty and always give way and respect their requirements and pass to their stern unless they direct me otherwise. They were keeping to the starboard bank and appeared to be running along nicely and I was happy to sit back and wait until they needed or wanted to change tack. I know nothing about the technicalities but when he turned hard to port and gave me no signal throughout I thought it was safe to assume he was tacking and it would be a good time to pass behind him and increased speed slightly. His manoeuvre turned out to be a complete 360 degree circle and it was tightly done so within seconds he was bearing down on me. If I stopped he woud have hit me, if I had gone hard to port I would have hit him, all I could do was go full throttle as close to the starboard bank as I dare. I don't have years of experience but I made my best call and it worked, it was very close and we both had a scare. I looked at the helm to make eye contact and he was screaming abuse at me! Given that he made a very unusual move and didn't direct me although aware of me at the very least I didn't deserve that!

I'm usually pretty thick skinned but I confess to have these events on consecutive days made me wonder if I really did commit some unknown navigation sin?

• Like 2

That's horrible Ray, and is unfortunately not unheard of.  The best thing I can say to myself when it happens is "there's a***h***s everywhere, and they are not going to ruin my day."

That said, a good dose of stinky diesel exhaust fumes in their direction goes a long way to making me feel better.

• Haha 1

Sadly it happens,sometimes it's a case of inexperience.Some as has been said just bad manners. A few year ago coming back from Norwich  three idiots in a unstale looking row boat going down the middle of the river.I slowed  down and tryed to overtake they blocked my way,I did so in the end.Often a case of to much to drink not worried how they act.

• Like 2

There was alway's Uncle Albert's approach Ray. Uncle Albert was my dad. Ex RN and ex Humber Keelman. In the case of yachts (pronounced yaCHt's by Uncle Albert, anything smaller was a dingy as in 'dark and' to Uncle Albert), he'd instruct us to hug the bank to starboard. Once within range of Uncle Albert's best Petty Officer's bellow, and if no signal had been given to us, Uncle Albert would bellow out 'Oi prat features! What's holding your ears apart? Give us a clue?'. Any resulting verbal match was usually quickly over by means of Uncle Albert's dockyard vocabulary and his abilities as a sign language instructor.

Now 'Stalham Chicken's' (Uncle Albert's term for both privateers and hirers who travelled too fast with no concern for others, sorry Clive,...erm how best to translate this...hmm...Uncle Albert said they were all 'a name for a male bird' and toenails) would get one of Uncle Albert's special winks and grins. He could put just as much expression into a wink and grin as he could into a 'good cussin'. Someone on the receiving end of a special wink and grin would suddenly slow their speed. It was if the silly old bloke in the sailor hat knew something that they didn't and you just knew it would result in a chat with either a copper, the bank manager, your Mrs, her mother or all of them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4