BA And Toll Contravention

Thasarummun

WOW - BA must have lots of time on their hands to walk round the Stalham Wetshed

Since we bought Zephyr literally changing the name and details of ownership has been tricky - last week I called BA to say "look I need to pay for the Toll - can I just do it over the phone etc" no it was not possible as we are still not registered as the owners... but they were super helpful etc.

I arrive at the Private Wetshed at our mooring - which is inside, under cover: to find slapped on the boat a Contravention notice: It makes no sense, been trying to pay (can't understand why they won't take my money" and why are BA going inside a private mooring to do this?

36 minutes ago, Thasarummun said:

WOW - BA must have lots of time on their hands to walk round the Stalham Wetshed

Since we bought Zephyr literally changing the name and details of ownership has been tricky - last week I called BA to say "look I need to pay for the Toll - can I just do it over the phone etc" no it was not possible as we are still not registered as the owners... but they were super helpful etc.

I arrive at the Private Wetshed at our mooring - which is inside, under cover: to find slapped on the boat a Contravention notice: It makes no sense, been trying to pay (can't understand why they won't take my money" and why are BA going inside a private mooring to do this?

Unfortunately yes they can access the wet shed , most likely with the consent of the site owners , I know of another marina that had a visit last week n i doubt that's the only 2 , personally I'd speak to the head of ranger services or better still the head of the tolls dept both of which are reasonable folk .

BA are well within their rights given the consent of the site owners to check any boat in any marina/ wet shed , that said they could have processed your details faster I've registered boats and tolled them same day but that was at yare house , remember rangers look at an index no and if its tolled or not they won't check to see if you have had any problems tolling the boat  .

Long n short of it talk to BA on Monday as said preferably head of tolls but yes they can access even the rickos wet shed with obviously the consent off rickos .

Things must have changed,we brought Sweetkingfisher In 2013 she was called comet We Got a temp toll taking her from Wroxham to Brundall then we changed her name to Sweetkingfisher.The whole process was easy.In a few years time we may get another boat and may well change the name,so am interested how things pan out.

The river inspector comes round the wet shed every year, I think he issued around 9 tickets last year.  It’s a condition of Richardson’s that all boats in the shed are insured, tolled and have a boat safety.

Can you not just buy a temporary toll until you change of ownership goes through, you get the money back on the annual one.

We brought Lady Linda back from Stalham in August a few years back. Got as far as the Berney Arms and stopped for a break where a ranger pulled in moments later. Paid a short visit toll to him and were given a couple of stickers. No problem. Went and paid the full toll a week later plus all the paperwork. It all took about 15mins.

just use your boat. The good weather is not to be missed just for a piece of paper. Have fun.

Colin:default_winko:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Thasarummun said:

I don't know how long it's been since you became the owner, or what you've done to change the registration, change the name of the boat, and pay the toll, but it can all be done by downloading this form and posting it off to Yare House. If you've already done this, time to ask the BA if they've received the form and what they've done with it.

I'm pleased that the ranger is on the ball. Too many people think it's OK to dodge paying the toll, which puts an extra burden on those that pay.

BTW, the previous owner also has to notify the BA that they are no longer the owner. Until both they, and you, make the notification, the previous owner is liable for the toll :default_icon_eek:

11 minutes ago, Paladin said:

BTW, the previous owner also has to notify the BA that they are no longer the owner. Until both they, and you, make the notification, the previous owner is liable for the toll :default_icon_eek:

I wonder if the previous owner knows that, and if not, he might be ignoring any payment demands thinking it's no longer his problem. This makes me think that this problem might drag on for a while, and if that happens, If I were you Rummun, I'd make sure you e-mail all communications to the BA and don't delete them from "e-mail sent". As long as you have good evidence of genuine attempts to pay, you will be in the clear.

21 minutes ago, Thasarummun said:

I will get a temp one today and call again on tuesday: def not trying to dodge anything here :default_eusa_naughty:

I wasn't suggesting that you were. You've already made it clear you have been in contact with the BA over this. But have you completed and sent in the form to which I provided the link?

19 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

I wonder if the previous owner knows that, and if not, he might be ignoring any payment demands thinking it's no longer his problem. This makes me think that this problem might drag on for a while, and if that happens, If I were you Rummun, I'd make sure you e-mail all communications to the BA and don't delete them from "e-mail sent". As long as you have good evidence of genuine attempts to pay, you will be in the clear.

That's a question that we don't have enough information to answer. Was the boat previously registered on the Broads? If not, the previous owner isn't liable (and won't need to inform the BA of the change of ownership). Has the boat been in a dealership since the beginning of April? If so, no liability for tolls. And so on...