Weed Filters

Baz

Hi all,

My boat has no weed filter fitted, In fact water comes in via the usual brass fitting,and enters the rear end of the gearbox. It then exits to the pump in the normal manner. What I'd really like to know, is, why is this in the first place, and secondly, by fitting a new filter, would it have any adverse effect. I just can't get my head round the fact that one wasn't fitted in the first place, there must be a reason I suppose. I've asked this question before, on a different site, but not really got a proper answer or reason.

Hope someone can advise.

Baz

Baz, there is no reason that fitting a weed strainer will restrict the flow and cause loss of cooling, it really depends where the boat was originally commissioned as some places are relatively weed free and the fitting may have been thought unnecessary.

A couple of questions, is your boat raw water cooled or via a heat exchanger and a closed system.

If you fit one make sure it is tapped into the line before the gearbox cooler or any oil cooler that may be fitted.

Hiya Antares ,

I think it actually goes through a heat exchanger ( I do have water exiting the exhaust at the back of the boat). I did say I was a novice at this boating lark, but next time I go up to it, I'll have to have a really good look at the layout. Is there anything I should look for in order to determine what system is in use, and do all boats have to have a filter fitted.

Many thanks mate, appreciate it.

Baz

Baz! that sounds like a raw water system, why don't you fit one when you have it out of the water, it's an easy job, if you go to http://www.asap-supplies.com/ and type INTAKE WATER FILTERS in the search, they have one or two remote ones that you can fit without having the boat out, you'll just need a couple of hose fittings for the unit, you just cut the inlet hose and fit it inline, or you can extent the inlet hose and fit it where you want it, hope that helps a bit,,, :wave Oh yea I forgot! as Antares says it won't affect the flow, that only happens if it gets blocked, personaly I'd fit the biggest I could to be safe, but as long as you get in the habit of checking it , you shouldn't have any problems,,

Hiya Frank mate, I actually bought one of those filters a few weeks ago, just need to fit it in, but I can't think of a good reason why there was not one fitted in the first place, strange eh, but thanks Frank, might fit it next time I go up there.

Baz

Baz! do you have any history on your boat?? I only ask because my old Seamaster came off the Thames and it was used for estuary and coastal cruising, and that didn't have a weed filter fitted, I think they are mainly fitted to inland waterway boats,,,, :pirate

Hi Baz, the fact that you have water exiting the exhaust unfortunately does not really tell me much, both raw water and indirect cooling would do that, the only one that wouldn’t is closed loop keel cooling and even that may have raw water injected to cool the manifold and exhaust. Look for anything where you may have to “top up†the coolant, normally mounted on the engine itself. If there is one then it is indirect cooling. You will need to check the anti freeze strength for the winter if that is the case. My original question was because if it is indirect and you begin to get overheating then you may have some weed or straw in the heat exchanger and you may need to gently rod it out.