Sign in to follow this  
Guest lordofsealand

A copuple of pics from me.

Have just found a few mins to post a couple ( well 3 ) of pictures on here.

These should not need any intro I,m sure.

post-170-136713377815_thumb.jpg

post-170-136713378065_thumb.jpg

post-170-136713378073_thumb.jpg

Very nice Paul thanks.

I just love the kingfisher Paul. I just don't know how you get that close to them

A big Lens :naughty:

I'm sure Paul will tell you, but I suspect finding their fishing spots and lots of time

Yes but I've got a big one too (lens that is) and the closest I've ever seen a kingfisher it would still be a dot! I'm guessing Paul must be using a 500 or 600mm.

Hi Guys

Just using a 100 - 400mm "L" lens. But the camera does have 12 Meg Pixels and that does help a lot. That Kingfisher is cropped and the original uncompressed file size is 76.4 Mb so is a large file !!!!

Below is the full size cropped head of the same bird. untouched, and even that size cropped part of the picture would have been just over 2.5 Mb.

post-170-136713378081_thumb.jpg

Try this out at the early part of next year.

Go up and down the same part of river where there are overhanging trees and look about 3 - 4 foot above the water line.

If you spot a Kingfisher, then the chances are it will be fishing in the same area each day.

They normally use the same "fishing perch" over and over again.

Look for the white tell tale "poo" marks below their perch.

Once you have found that, each time you cruise / sail past that spot(s) pick up the camera and keep your eyes open.

You do not need £1000's of equipment, just good eyesight, a slow boat, and a bit of patients and luck.

In 4 years I have spend over 1100 hours on my boat on the rivers so I do have time to get lucky ! ;)

Yours is 100mm bigger than mine then Paul! :)

But my boat is bigger! :lol:

Trouble is, being based darn sarf, I've not actually seen a kingfisher at all down there. I saw a couple during our (miserable) 10 days oop north this summer past, one on Malthouse Broad on the other side of the entrance dyke opposite the island, and a pair together on Hoveton Little Broad / Black Horse Broad. As I was having a broken toe seen to at the time I was not in a position to move the boat (anchored and switched off) closer to the kingfishers, plus there was a sparrowhawk circling overhead.

Who knows, my time may yet come though! :)

Nice pics Paul

the place where Ive seen qwite a few kingfishers on the south is there stretch from church fen to brundall gardens

hi paul

i have been so lucky as my pictures of a king fisher was taken from my couch in my saloon. :-D

he comes to my mooring in norwich every winter to fish.

i havent got a very good camera and i have to take the shot through glass.

he perches 3ft away from me.

jill

Paul's photo of the Kingfisher reminded me of a talk I went to a few years ago with Andy Rouse a noted wildlife photographer. His dedication was more like being in the SAS but if you want to see superb wildlife photography have a look at some of Andys work. It was obvious that most of these shots were not 'lucky' but the result of hours of research and being in the right place at the right time.

Despite Paul's obvious modesty there is little luck in getting photo's of that quality.

Kingfishers - http://www.naturephotographers.net/arti ... 905-1.html

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/?/arous ... sions.html

http://www.photographymonthly.com/Edito ... &page=1159

Perry,

Just looked at Andy's pictures. Absolutely superb !!!!!

I now have a new picture target set for this coming year....... Bet I don't reach it, but will enjoy trying !!!

Watch this space but DON'T hold your breath lol !!

Thank Perry, but I think I will have to spend more time moored up in some spots only known to ME this coming year !!! :naughty:

The S/W I use is what came with the Canon - Zoombrowser and Digital Photo Professional. That will convert to JPG or TIFF.

For JPG files, I use PaintshopPro (Now Corel PSP) I have used that since Version 4 and have upgraded each time till now on Version 11

I have tried Photoshop but can not get on with it. Personal thing only as I am too use to PSP.

I also try not to need to do too much touching up other than sharpening or cropping.

I have a strange thing about photographs that I take. "If it needs messing with, then normally not worth keeping "

The only time I use PSP for any serious work is on things like cards, posters, collages etc.

Though I'm clearly not in your league as a photographer, I am with you 100% on the PSP / Photoshop thing. It seems to me that with a lot of the boards I read and collection sites (like Flickr) photography has become as much, if not more, about being good with Photoshop than it is about being good with the camera. Call me old fashioned but I am a great believer in knowing the camera, what it can do and how to use it. I seldom crop my pictures because I've usually taken the time to frame them properly in the first place (obviously with wildlife and nature you often don't have any choice, but where possible I just try to do it right from the outset). I seldom fiddle with the colour when post processing as my colour vision is poor, so I just have to rely on setting the camera up appropriately (i.e NOT auto-WB). Trying to adjust DoF in image programs is a too much like hardwork, much better just to get it right when shooting. Of course that usually means taking multiple pics of everything and using a variety of different settings whilst doing so, but hey, that's photography.

I assume, from what you say above, that you shoot TIFF rather than RAW?

Thanks Paul,

I had been using an early version of Raw Shooter which was very user friendly. It was bought out by Adobe and was incorporated in Adobe Lightroom - expensive :o

I have a 'cough' copy of Photoshop CS (for evaluation purposes you understand) and I too find it a bit 'overblown' for what I am looking for, there is also no batch conversion option.

I am looking at options for Raw Workflow so was interested in what you were using.

"If it needs messing with, then normally not worth keeping "

Could not agree more

Guest KeithC   
Guest KeithC
Ive don't know if they just eat fish thats why i asked to see if somebody knew. :bow

Hi Jonny

a kingfisher'sa main diet consists of small fish,tadpoles,molluscs and insects. very tasty.

Keith

Norfolk two guns:Stinkytwo guns

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

For details of our Guidelines, please take a look at the Terms of Use here.