Sign in to follow this  
kfurbank

The Southern Broads Today 16th November

The wonders of modern technology Perry. Just sitting looking out at the view, with a couple of bacon sandwiches and fresh brewed coffee. Then an hour of work matters to attend to, then it's off for a cruise. Last lot for now.

[attachment=2]tn_IMG_1532.JPG[/attachment][attachment=1]tn_IMG_1533.JPG[/attachment][attachment=0]tn_IMG_1534.JPG[/attachment]

Then an hour of work matters to attend to, then it's off for a cruise.

If only I could attend to work matters from the boat!

Simon,

One of the benefits of being self employeed, unfortunetly there's as many disadvantages as well. Like no paid holidays or sickness. No guaranteed work, stuck in a data centre in the centre of London at midnight on Saturday etc, but when you get days like today, then it's very nice.

Keith

Guest James   
Guest James

Great pictures again keith you been polishing the boat though looks like its sparkling.

Guest James   
Guest James

Just wondering how do you find going solo on your boat with the mooring up as I'm thinking about hiring the 32ft version in june for myself.

MORE MORE MORE these are realy good Kieth did you see Dave and Kingfisher about.

he said he was going to a pooter about

James put both bow and stern ropes down the walkway on both sides so when you jump off there is no chance of the bow or stern walking out on you as you have both ropes in your hand when you jumped off

thats what i do and meny other people when solo boating

James, mooring isn't a problem, you just need to plan ahead. I do something similar to Jonny, except I tie the two ropes loosely together. That way you can go up front to tie the front rope off, without worrying about the stern rope being long enough, or dropping it and it going back into the river. Once you have the front tied off, walk back along the rope, till you get to the knot, untie it and pull the back in and tie that off as well.

For stern mooring, reverse in as normal, allow the boat to drift very slowly back to the quayheading, once touching just engage reverse again to keep the boat pinned to the quayside, then step ashore, make good the ropes and then go and stop the engine.

When departing, try as much as possible to lay the ropes out ready for the next mooring. Always on solo cruising, wear your lifejacket for mooring and when under way. If you get into trouble, there will be no one else on board to throw you a line.

Crusing on the South, I prefer to moor up port side, so i just need to step over the side. Therefore you need to plan ahead to work out what the tide will be doing, where you intend to moor. Be flexible, for instance, if I am crusiing down to the top end of Breydon Water, I will moor at the Berney Arms if the tide is coming in, but if it is going out, then I will moor at Burgh Castle instead. Especially in the very tidal areas, I prefer to go with the easier port side mooring.

When departing in tidal areas, remove as many knots as possible leaving just one or two. Plan which will be the last rope to come off and remove all knots on the quayside, leaving a round turn and tie back on the boat. Unitie all the other ropes, leaving just the final rope with a knot on the boat, untie this and flick the rope off the post and away you go. Remember if the tide is coming from behind you, it is often easier to oush the back out and reverse away into the current.

Jonny, that was the last of todays piccys I'm afraid. Didn't see Dave out and about.

Keith

Kieth mostly the way i do things but when mooring stern on i just Judge when iam near the bank then left the boat drift in and my judgment can be very good.

sometimes i put my two ball fenders on the stern so sometimes before my foot gets anywhere near the quay heading the fenders push me away :oops:

but thats not all the time :pirate:wave:bow

Keith,

I've just turned a real funny colour...DARK GREEN!

Lovely shots there too.

Thanks for sharing them.

Regards:

Clive.

Kieth mate did you see David Antares about on kingfisher said her was going for a pooter about

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

For details of our Guidelines, please take a look at the Terms of Use here.