New Nanni engine

I have just had a new Nanni engine fitted by Freshwater cruisers of Brundall they have made an excellent job fitting it and i have just completed 20 hours cruising for the first service. Has anyone else had an engine fitted new or recycled? Also next year if they stop red diesel and make you use white will it effect the engine.?

Hi Barry & Olive

We also have a Nanni 4150. Excellent engine!

As far as red and white diesel goes, there is absolutly no differance in fomulation other than an added dye in the red diesel. Apart from cost of course. :x :x

Red diesel is a much reduced taxed diesel produced for agriculture and other non road uses. In simple terms, thanks to the EU this is being withdrawn from boating world in the UK next year.

Hi,Col & Lou, What boat have you had the engine fitted to? does it give good fuel to mileage ratio? I have a 4.50 Nanni and at the mo uses around 1.80 litres an hour at 1600 revs thats about a £1 an hour not bad methinks. Is yours with hydraulics or gearbox?

Hi Barry & Olive

We purchased our boat earlier this year. It is a Aquafibre 38 duel steer lowliner built new in 1998 with the Nanni Diesel. It has a ZF gearbox. I have not accurately worked out the fuel consumption but it must be in the region of £1.00 per hour.

Our previous boat a Princess 32 with twin 140hp petrol engines used approx £50.00 a weekend. That would have taken us from Wayford Bridge to Horning/Ranwoth and back. :o:o

Hence fuel consumption it not an issue now. :-D :-D

What boat have you had your engine fitted into?

Barry, the major difference between red and white (colour apart) is the sulphur content, hence we will actually be taxed MORE than white road diesel when the derogation ends as the ultra low sulphur diesel at road pumps attracts a lower "green" tax than the higher sulphur diesel. Now with that out of the way, it is likely that we will continue to get red at the waterside pumps abate at the higher tax rate (currently 7p above ULSD. This I suspect will lead to lower quantity users filling from Jerry cans at Tesco prices rather than pay the £1.50 to £2.00 per litre that will possibly be the norm in marinas and riverside yards. But I digress, ULSD may well harm some of the older engines on the broads as the sulphur lubricates the injector pump (not unlike lead used to protect valve seats on older engines pre unleaded) Your more modern engine should run OK on ULSD, mine common rail D4 Volvo actually allows longer oil change intervals if it is used, but check with the manufacturer. This all may be academic anyway as what we will probably be getting at the pumps is the same as now, just more expensive “same as nowâ€. Hope that wasn’t all to tedious and spun out.

Edited as I forgot to say that at river speeds of 6mph even our D4 230hp still returns 10 - 12 mpg confirmed by the gps linked fuel computer and I am one happy bunny. even at cruising speed at sea (18kts) she only burns 8 or 9 ish GPH depending on the sea state.

attachment=0]Image002.jpg[/attachment]

post-74-136713384805_thumb.jpg

Hi, H Jay 2, The Nanni i had fitted into a Bounty 37 ' very smooth and lots of power if i need it at short notice,coupled to a APS Hydraulic system from Peachments,engine fitted by wilf of Freshwater cruisers very helpful people would go there again.they was actually recommended by Bill Maxted of the NBF. cheersbar:trophy

Thanks A-9, For your v.good info,by the way which Gps is your fuel data linked to? cheersbar

Barry, It's coupled up to and displayed on a Raymarine C120 multi display via an onboard NMEA 2000 network, the engine data is fed direct from the ECU via a J1939 can bus to NMEA 2000 converter. I forget which GPS engine feeds the C120 as I have 2 for safety redundancy, one feeds the C120 Radar / Plotter Multi display and the other feeds a dedicated chart plotter so it could be a Ray 120 or a Ray 125 GPS engine that it is ultimately serviced by. Flipin' 'eck, looking at what I have just typed, it's a wonder it works at all.

David

Barry, It's coupled up to and displayed on a Raymarine C120 multi display via an onboard NMEA 2000 network, the engine data is fed direct from the ECU via a J1939 can bus to NMEA 2000 converter. I forget which GPS engine feeds the C120 as I have 2 for safety redundancy, one feeds the C120 Radar / Plotter Multi display and the other feeds a dedicated chart plotter so it could be a Ray 120 or a Ray 125 GPS engine that it is ultimately serviced by. Flipin' 'eck, looking at what I have just typed, it's a wonder it works at all.

Flipin' 'eck. Good choice of words. Confused, you will be!! :? Im glad someone knows what they are doing. :clap

Well Barry, You did ask!