A HOLIDAY OF TWO HALVES

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Approaching what was to be our destination for the night, but we decided to head for Loddon for a toilet pump out at our home yard. The eagle eyed amongst us might recognise a couple of boats on the right.

post-1-136713833012_thumb.jpg

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

The view from Maffett cruisers basin over the meadow to Loddon church. It`s a spectacular sight when it`s a cloudless sky and the sun is setting, especially when a Barn owl, or Kingfisher flies by.

post-1-136713833393_thumb.jpg

Guest DAYTONA-BILL
A good read- and was a pleasure to meet you when you were out and about! Incidentally - regarding Reedham, this is why we avoid the quay now like the plague, the damage caused there is beyond comprehension!!!!

Thanks Gav, it was a real pleasure to meet you, Annie, and ALL the forumites, and hopefully, we`ll meet up again in the not too disatant future?. You never know, with your interrest in sailing, we may even see you down here in Poole harbour on a big Moody at some time :naughty::naughty::naughty: . Regards to you both ................ Neil.

As i was doing this, i watched this stunning looking Birchwood coming in to moor, and then i recognised a certain young Wayne (Wayneakp) at the helm. I watched him bring Katacalouse in very nicely indeed.

I think it is really worth repeating that part Neil :grin::grin::grin:

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Tuesday morning, and we wake to bright weather with patchy cloud. It`s always nice to wake up in a location where you`ve never stopped before, and we really enjoyed our evening (and night) at Pyes mill, so much so that we`ll definately be staying there again. As is the norm, we both get up and get washed and dressed etc, and have breakfast. We decide to go to the town staithe and get a few bits and pieces so we`ll have everything for the rest of the week, so we quickly get the breakfast things squared away which allows me to do the engine checks, and as usual, Swallow has`nt used any oil or water. Engines on, and it`s another cruise at tickover revs (why would ANYBODY want to charge through this part of the river any faster?) to the staithe where we are greeted by a family of ducks. We go off to the butchers and the shop adjacent to the staithe, and with all supplies aboard, we decide to feed the ducks, and take the opportunity to fill up with water and get some (hopefully) nice shots of Swallow. After our brief photo shoot, it`s time to get underway, and we last night, we decided to go to Langley staithe and vist the Abbey, so it`s going to be a gentle cruise with the tide down the Chet followed by another cruise against the outgoing tide up the yare. Once again, all the way down the Chet, and most of the way up the Yare, we`re a lonely little boat and loving the fact that the southern rivers are so quiet. As we pass Cantley sugar factory, i remember how big the place is, and see the quay where all the large ships used to tie up to unload their cargo. I wonder if we`ll ever see ships like this again on the Yare, as it was always a spectacular sight to see?. The weather, although quite breezy, was staying good for us, and as we round the bend, we see the masts of the yachts near the lower end of Langley dyke, and can`t see the entrance, though as we come up to it, you realise how narrow it is, and with the tide against us, i approach with caution so we don`t get swept into someones pride and joy. Once in the dyke, it was back to tickover revs, and a gentle run up to the public moorings at the staithe. I last moored at Langley back in 86 on the Kingfisher, but now there is a proper staithe with mooring posts, so the rhond anchores will not be needed. We approached the staithe and turned the wheel hard over to moor facing back to the main river, and Swallow just glided slowly round and came straight alongside the quay, which must have looked like i knew what i was doing ;);) . We went up to the Abbey, with a leaflet that was advertising one adult free when another pays, so armed with our discount voucher, we are pleasantly surprised to find this leaflet out of date, and that entrance to the abbey is in fact free to all, so we take a look around, and decide to have lunch in the restaurant. As we walk back to the staithe i tell Karen about when i last stopped there on a Friday lunchtime, and had lunch in the pub, which sadly, looks like it is now being converted into a private house, which seems to be an all too common thing around the Broads. We get back to Swallow, and it`s engine on and under way gently down the dyke, and back out into the main river, which by now the outward tide was starting to ease. Our original plan was to carry on to Rockland staithe, but because we got there before we`d thought, we decided to carry on the extra little bit to moor at Brundall. This would also bring back memories of October 77 when a friend and i hired an old Seamaster 25 from Buccaneer boats, who now only hire out houseboats. On arrival at Brundall, we make sure we take the correct entrance and soon find ourselves cruising past what used to be dozens of hire fleet yards, but are now mostly private marinas. We`re not sure where we were going to moor, but decided when we reached it, it would be Swancraft because they had a nice garden in front, which would be a nicer outlook, so as we turned in, on tickover, again we just glided round and came directly alongside with just a few revs in reverse to bring her to a stop, and just step ashore. I was particularly glad to have done it so well this time, as we were being filmed by another skipper, who we`d met earlier in the week. While we were setting the mooring lines, one of the staff came out, so we politley asked if we could moor for the night, and were told we were more than welcome, and that they would unlock the loo`s in case we need them. I noticed they had 240v pylons, and asked if we could use one, so the member of staff went and got his boss, and a price was aggreed (no card slot, as they were primarily for boatyard duties), so again we got out w44nty`s 240v hook-up lead, and plugged it in. The weather was still good, so we went for a stroll which for me was down memory lane. We walked down to where i had picked up Gold Pieces nearly 34 years before, and as we neared their base, i could remember the way the road had a right/left kink at what is Alpha crafts yard. We turn round and headed back up the lane,and i suggested having a look at some of the boats for sale at Norfolk Yacht Agency`s base, and see some of the boats i`ve been looking at on their website over many months, and notice that photographs CAN sometimes lie. We head back to Swallow where Karen got the dinner ready, and i have another fishing session. Result........ another blank, BUGGER. Good job w44nty`s not here, as he would be laughing his socks off and going on about how many he caught last year while being down here in Dorset, one up to you Steve ;);) . As the sun goes over the yard arm, it starts to get a little chilly in the breeze, so we decide to get the DVD player set up, and settle down for a quiet night. After a couple of hours, the film finishes, and we decide it`s time for bed. Good night all.

We`ve often passed this little inlet which i think is on the first bend on the Waveney to the north of the top of Oulton dyke, and wondered if the water is deep enough to moor for a secluded overnight stop, anybody moored there before?. It`s on the eastern bank.

Regarding that little cut.

Haven't stayed overnight there, but have moored up for a couple of hours at fairly low water with the bathing platform level with the entrance and had a depth reading of approx 3ft. (Wouldn't recomend venturing in too far though)

I kept the leg raised just in case and didn't touch the bottom. (Not that i was aware of anyway) So it really depends on the draught of the boat that you have and also, being a hire craft it will be a shaft drive, so no outdrive to lift up. (so watch your prop)

Hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Wednesday morning, and we wake up to broken clouds and patches of blue sky. I`ve made up my mind that after breakfast, i`m going to go and have a look at some of the boats for sale at Norfolk yacht agency`s base. I have a look at an ex Hippersons "Golden Treasure class" which is similar to a Hampton Safari, but built on a Classic 27 hull, and a Princess 25. The Hipperson 27 was a nice layout with plenty of space, but required considerable investment to bring up to date, and the Princess was in good condition, but not as spacious as the Hipperson, but at least it gives me an idea of what sort of money i`l have to pay. I walk back to the boat, and Karen is by now ready to set off, having made good use of the yards shore power, by drying her hair and sttraightening it. So it`s engine checks done, and engine on, and while the trusty Perkins is warming up, i set about tidying away the hook-up lead. They take so long to coil up neatly. We set off following our neighbour for the evening down to the main river, where they turn and head down river, but our journey is to take us in to the heart of Norwich. The cruise up to Norwich was a gentle one, and no sooner were we in the main river, then we had to turn into Surlingham Broad. I`ve been boating on the Broads for over 40 years now, and i`ve never been through Surlingham Broad, so this was a first for both Karen and me. We had plenty of time, so we just chugged away and admired views that i`d not seen for 16 years, and Karen has never seen at all. We pass through Thorpe, and it seems different to when i last went through. 16years ago, there were several hire yards still in buisness, but now, these yards look almost derelict in comparison, and i think back to the good old days of picturesque riverside boatyards such as Maidencraft, Classic cruisers, Kingfisher cruisers, and others, but now the riverside looks run down and dare i say, a bit shabby. By now, the weather is starting to cloud over and look a little threatening, and before we reach the mouth of the Wensum, the rain starts to come, but not hard, so i can get a good view of how the Norwich riverside scene has changed in those 16 years. It`s really good to see that they`ve been able to keep some of the original building facades, and convert them into appartments. A little further along, we come up to the RBOA`s moorings, and see Jill`s Golden Light looking as good as ever. As we near the centre of Norwich, we go through the wide turning bay that the coasters used to use every week, but that`s all history now, and we come up to the yacht station, which does look very smart having had much investment and refurbishment. We carry on past, and come up to Pull`s Ferry, and as we turn round, we get some photo`s, and start to make our way back down river for our lunchtime destination, being Thorpe river green. As we leave Norwich, the rain stops, so it`s roof open again, and we chug on down river. As we near the western most railway bridge, i notise that although the bridge height gauge says well over 8 ft, it still looks rather low, but i know we`ve got bags of room, so we carry on, and as we go under the bridge, we get dripped on from above. We cruise through this beautiful stretch at tickover so we can enjoy the view for as long as possible, and before long, we arrive at the public moorings and get moored up for lunch. Whenever anybody walked by, i kept an eye out to see if it`s Steve (w44nty) as he only lives a short distance away, but to no avail. We found out on the last Friday that he`d actually driven past every evening, to see if we were moored for the night, but unfortunately it was`nt to be. As we were finishing lunch, it started to spit with rain again, so the roof was quickly closed, and we got everything squared away ready for the off back down river to Rockland staithe for the night. Just as we got going again the rain started to come down hard, and as we passed under the eastern rail bridge, we notice a couple fishermen holding fast under the bridge to shelter from the pouring rain, but as we actually passed under it, we realise the bridge is`nt solid, and the poor fishermen were still getting soaked. I suppose it kept at least some of the rain off them. As we got back into the main river, the rain started to come down even heavier, and then heavier, and then heavier again, and for the second time in a week, we could actually see the river "dance". A little way down river, and the rain stopped and the things brightened up, but it was still a bit breezy, so the roof stayed closed for most of the journey to Rockland. As we approach Brundall, i decide to stick to the main river, as when we came up earlier in the day, and we admired some of the riverside chalets, and look at a lot of expensive looking boats all lined up in Brooms yard. Again, once a thriving hire boat company and luxury boatbuilders, but now, just another expensive private mooring facility in Brundall. After a short while, the upper entrance to Rockland broad came into view, and we turn in to the narrow dyke. I seem to remember last time we came to Rockland broad it was wet and windy, and though it was`nt rainig, it was still windy. We chug on across the broad, and turn up the dyke towards the staithe taking great care through the narrow channell through the boats moored either side, but little did we know what we would be confronted with the following morning. We arrived at the Public staithe, and there were a few boats already moored, but plenty of space for us, so we chose to moor on the north quay between a Hampton we`d seen sevral times on out travels, and one of BCBM`s syndicate boats, and as we take it slowly and bring swallow in, we are being admired by an American lady on the syndicate boat (Moonlight or Evening Shadow), and she`s so impressed with Swallow, she readily accepts our invitation to step aboard and have a look round. She absolutely loved Swallows traditional build and feel, and said how she`d love to own one herself. She explains how we`d just missed the pub as it closed a couple of hours before our arrival, and then went on to explain, that by saying closed, she actually meant it had closed down and the landlord/lady had left. We had`nt intended going in anyway. We still had plenty of time before dinner, so it was time for a bit more fishing. I was getting almost desperate to stop drawing a blank every night, when YES......I GOT ONE :party2::party2::party2: . A roach of no more than 10-12 ounces. OK, so it was by no means a whopper, but it bloody well felt like it this week. As it turned out, it was the only fish i caught all week :cry:cry . Not long after my phenominal fishing succes, Karen called me in for dinner, which was quite timely, as it started to rain yet again. While we were eating dinner, in came Bolero from Richardsons with a bit of a bump while reversing into the quay, but it was raining, so visibility may have been difficult. They did`nt stay long at all, as 10 minutes after they moored up, they found out the pub was closed, so they upped anchor and went away. After i got the dinner things squared away, it was outside to see if i could increase my haul of specimen fish, but to no avail, so we sat in and put the telly on for the rest of the night. 10 oclock came, and we were both getting tired, so it was time for bed. Good night all.