Well ive got the outboard

Guest Lag1rich

I can pull the starter cord out by an inch but then locks tight as if it sounds like something is stopping it from going any further! Also the propella is stuck fast, but could this be a saftey feature seaming the engine is not running?

And finally they is a small plastick round thing to the bottom of the fule tank (Quater turn idea) wich a hose is connected to any idea what this is for as the nob will not stay in place!

Its a 2.2hp (assume ist petrol) what should the mix be of petrol and 2 stroke oil?

Thanks, Richard

The outboard will have a safety device to stop it starting in gear. Put it in neutral and give it a pull :grin:

The small round think sounds like a fuel tap and it will run on petrol the oil mix depends on make but 50:1 is a safe bet.

I can pull the starter cord out by an inch but then locks tight as if it sounds like something is stopping it from going any further! Also the propella is stuck fast, but could this be a saftey feature seaming the engine is not running?

I'm afraid they are the exact symptoms of a seized up engine, where the piston has welded itself to the bore, usually due to a lack of lubrication.

The inch or so movement on the starter cord is the slack in the mechanism before it starts to turn the crankshaft.

The propeller being stuck fast is because it's probably direct drive (no forward/neutral gears), so again, the piston won't let it turn.

Seized engines can sometimes be persuaded to free up by taking the plug out and squirting penetrating oil into the cylinder and letting it soak in, but I'm afraid they're often locked up solid, and with damaged surfaces.

Thanks, for the advice, yes part of the plan was to attack with WD40 Im going to take it to my voluntary work place where there's a member (supervisor) whos a engineer! Ive sorted the flue tap as it was broke and going to replace with a 8mm gas tap :grin:

Thanks, Richard

PS. As many of you know I have a slight mechanical knowledge as a plumber but I prefer to post on here to ask the experts!!

PPS. This engine is only the start, hopefully it will eventually build up to better things like my dream boat Janet 3 of Martham cheers

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Try googling Mercury 2.2hp outboard motor workshop manual, and see what comes up. You may find one on e-bay, but make sure it`s for exactly the right model.

Hi,

I just had a look at the pictures of the outboard on Ebay and I think the the out of gear/in gear lever is missing. Even if the outboard is in gear it will still turn over the engine when the starter is pulled.

As scrap value for it is about £2, best bet get rid or it on Ebay as spares or repair.....

Ian

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, As for the in gear / out of gear I think its a automatic!!

I un-did it all at my voluntary place, Attacked with WD40 which did nothing, Luckily the piston was half way down the ring and my supervisor had the idea of siphoning some diesel out of one of the locos and putting that on the cylinder head, Low and be hold 4 hours later it had seeped through, I then got some mole grips and a hammer and started knocking the main (spindle I think its called) which the starter cord goes on to in the direction of the arrow, Low and be hold SUCSESS it now turns freely inc. propeller as the piston moves in and out :grin:

Next job will be to order some new gaskets and some flushing out fluid to get rid of all the diesel!

I will keep you updated....

Richard