Making a new mould (from an old one)

Hi Clive, is there any market for a large aft cockpit cruiser style for the Broads?. There are hundreds of fwd dv and ctr ckpt models in all sizes from very small to very large, and lots of small aft cockpit models, but there are very few larger aft ckpt cruisers built these days. Is it financially viable for yourselves to invest in making this type of boat (or even a shortened version of the RC36) into a large aft ckpt with a 4 berth and luxury 2 berth layout?.There are only a handful of larger aft ckpt cruisers available to hire, those that come to mind are your Ocean 30s (San Luis and Pedro), Maffett cruisers Aquafibre 32 (Jay) and Sandersons Ocean 30 (Sandmartin) and their Aquafibre 32s (Sandstorm and Sandswift). Other than that, there does`nt seem to be anything else except some sedan styles which won`t go under the bridges. What do you think?. Regards .................. Neil.

I think the most modern/recent looking design, with more berths, on those lines would be the 4/6 berth Moonlight's from Herbert Woods, one of which became a 2 berth at Faircraft' after a fire. I quite like the look of the superstructures on them, though I always thought the second cabin was a bit squeezed. Moonlight has been sat in on all my visits this year.... I wonder whether people coming to the Broads for a fishing trip rather than the boat or holiday look for top hire fee/new leading technology boats... which after a few years of new boat syndrome might become a high portion of that boat styles market?

Dan

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

I forgot about Moonlight Dan :oops::oops::oops: . When Karen and i took Swallow back in June, we had a look at Jay, and i have to admit to liking the idea of the large aft cockpit, but she`s a 3-5 with a single in the mid cabin, the top bunk being removed when Bill Maxted first got her. If there`s only Karen and i going next year, i think i may go for a large aft cockpit boat.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

sorry for not updating this thread recently, I have been taking photos but they seem to look very similar! basically we have filled and sanded and painted then sanded and polished the radius in the top knuckle in the same way in which the plugs for the RC45 were prepared, we have also put a radius on the outer edge of the lower knuckle and given that the same treatment.

the whole mould was then compounded and a release system applied, here is a photo just so that you can see that is hard to see! you can hardly see the spray rails....

this week we have given the mould two gelcoats and have started the first layer of fiberglass matt.

this has been a while getting to this stage as we have lots going on in the build/ development areas, we have started work on the floorpan mould for this boat which is badly out of shape, awful in standard dammaged etc,etc...the 3rd RC45 has been released from the moulds and assembled ready to start building (today), the frames for the single level boat are now complete and the RC45 superstructure plug being cut up ready to accept the new frames. We have also cleared the crap from the sides of the shed which is now concreted and the shed floor is now painted.. If you can find my old 'behind closed doors' thread you will see the 3 shed fulls of rubbish has now turned into our laminating shop, building shop and trimming/finishing shop,

post-503-136713851441_thumb.jpg

I recall looking at these when (I think) Blackwater were making them Clive, we were quite impressed with the layouts and underwater sections and we would have been seriously interested in an extended wheelhouse version of the pilot house but they only offered sterndrive. Shame really as the opportunity to have a slightly modified and personally specified build at a sensible price is a real attraction (for me at least). A major appeal of our current boat is that we could buy what is basically an over engineered, well sorted but spartan ship that allowed us to choose all the extras to our own taste and source and fit them quite easily due to the design.

Hi David,

We have a floorpan mould which we can not use in its current state as the moulding looks like it needs to be cut to remove it, it is basically a good layout with all the restrictions of a sports boat :?

the previous builders covered everything in carpet to cover the problems but we dont carpet bulkheads or risers on steps etc as it is not good for the hirefleet and hard to clean. With the work we are doing it could still be covered with carpet for the private build or self builder...

the problems were negative release angles, under cut areas, star crazes and diamond wheel marks where the moulding had been cut to remove it :o

To get a rough idea of how the floorpan fits in (it is upside down as a mould) the hoover is on the galley plinth, the filler tub is on the gap between the single beds which go under the helm and the blue foam is on the front bed.

in the pics you can see some of the issues we have and where areas have been filled/screeded (20mm odd in places :shocked )

you can also see the cut marks up the middle of the front bed and round the floor in te front cabin as well as the bits cut out to knock wedges in

post-503-13671385214_thumb.jpg

post-503-136713852171_thumb.jpg

post-503-136713852482_thumb.jpg

post-503-136713852508_thumb.jpg

post-503-136713852532_thumb.jpg

Hi Perry,

I think the radar arch may have been a custom job as the fiberglass version was not easy to make and needed so much finishing that it was cheaper to make a stainless one which looked better anyway!

The original layout has a lack of storage but 2 toilets and showers so we are cutting out one of them to make more wardrobes and floor space in both cabins.

The floor tray is used on the sedan as well as the flybridge, and the front section is used on one of the fishing boats.

hi clive, any chance of some pics of the single level boats progress, really looking forward to this one as we love this type of boat. (each to their own and that) had a day on broadsmen with my sons and their wifes loved it.. its a big statement to make but shes by far the best broads hire boat iv ever been on and a real credit to you, your family and the investment you have put into to this design well done :clap:clap . thanks andy

Hi Andy,

cheers for the feedback on Broadsman, I am glad you liked her, you will have to book her for next year so your wife can holiday on the best broads hire boat!

I will do a photo record of the single level 45 being made but probably not as in depth as the RC45.

Hi Clive

Do you think any more of this design will be built for hire or is this a bit of a one off for the fleet and more aimed at the private customer?

I am quite looking forward to seeing the sedan version as I think that might be more my thing, as I cant imagine a broads holiday for me without cruising the Ant... or do you think it might squeeze under Ludham with a bit of a run up? :naughty:

I look forward to seeing the hire charges for her, and if any of next years new boats will be short break-ers

Dan

Andy,

I have confused matters by mentioning the single level 45 foot boat on the 36 foot flybridge/sedan thread!

The plan is to make a Flybridge version for Acle and then see how she lets, we will make the sedan with the same layout.

We will sell these boats for self build or finished boats with a choice of 4 superstructures but have not started marketing them yet..

• 3 weeks later...

The hull has now been fully layed up and braced with wood to maintain its shape during the next couple of processe.

We have also finished the modifications to the internal tray and have sprayed it twice and are now sanding and polishing as we did the plugs for the RC45 only this time it is to produce a finished surface on te mould.

Here are a couple of photos of the hull braced.

post-503-136713856072_thumb.jpg

post-503-136713856097_thumb.jpg

Hi Jimbo,

Yes I assume you are a bit stupid :naughty::naughty: this is the creation of a new mould from an old one but with a few tweaks to improve the looks and handling.... we are taking a moulding from the old knackered mould.

Martin, give me a shout next time you are about I will show you about.

Hi Jimbo,

Yes I assume you are a bit stupid :naughty::naughty: this is the creation of a new mould from an old one but with a few tweaks to improve the looks and handling.... we are taking a moulding from the old knackered mould.

:lol: and then you will be making a new mould on the outside of that? Right I think I'm up to speed on it now :grin:

A Stanley knife fell out of a bit of the box section but no rabbits :)

some boat tests said that there was a bit of spray in bad weather so we will be putting a 10 degree downward turn on the front 15 feet of the chine to help with this, we will also be extending the spray rails further back by about a metre.

Glad you like it :)

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

So, if that first moulding is to be "dressed up" as a new plug, will that moulding then be usable as a proper hull after a further mould is taken from it, or is all that hard work just going to be cut up?.