Making a new mould (from an old one)

Hi Neil,

This hull will not be used for the first boat as we want the first one (Far Horizon) to look like we intended it to.

this hull will be stuck in the field until we build the second one which may be either another flybridge or a sedan a little later in the year if we get round to making the new coachroof.

When it comes to it the wood will obviusly need cutting out but the foams bonded inside should be the right height to support the internal tray so will be left in, the extended rails and altered chines and other filled bits will be knocked off again before antifouling. this hull was made heavier as it was to be the plug so it would not be useful as a 'fast' boat but lends itself as a hire boat due to the stronger layup.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So, if that first moulding is to be "dressed up" as a new plug, will that moulding then be usable as a proper hull after a further mould is taken from it, or is all that hard work just going to be cut up?.

the extended rails and altered chines and other filled bits will be knocked off again before antifouling

So as I read it you filled and reformed the indentations of the original mould that you didn't want

and now will add the bits to this hull where they go into areas where the old mould was solid

to make the new mould have the required indentations for the chines etc.

Presumably these modifications are really only aimed at the private boat market ,

as the hire boats wont be going fast enough for them to be noticed.

Hold on though, there is always Breydon!

So will we see photos of Ricko's hire boats up on the plane crossing Breydon,

with the older hirers tossing around in their wakes?

Probably not as I reckon that your hire versions wont have the engine power that they would neeed to get up on the step! :naughty:

Hi Martin,

Thats all correct! :clap

While we were admiring the hull yesterday we noticed that one of the chines actually was turned the wrong way meaning that the spray would be directed upwards :? this should all be sortd out in the next stages..

The old mould has now been cut up so we hope all goes well from now on! the transom and keel section has been kept so we can use it to make the plant (inset) to form the propellor tunnel in the mould for the single screw versions..

post-503-13671385678_thumb.jpg

post-503-136713856806_thumb.jpg

While we were admiring the hull yesterday we noticed that one of the chines actually was turned the wrong way meaning that the spray would be directed upwards :? this should all be sortd out in the next stages..

The old mould has now been cut up so we hope all goes well from now on! the transom and keel section has been kept so we can use it to make the plant (inset) to form the propellor tunnel in the mould for the single screw versions..

Clive,

What do you actually mean by the chine was turned the wrong way?

Are they supposed to be flatter on the top and curved underneath to direct water / spray back towards the hull?

Was this a problem with the original mould or was it your remodeling that was a bit off?

So what do you do now, grind it off the new plug and create the desired shape with filler before casting the new mould ?

Will this stop you from using the plug as a hire-boat hull, or will you just grind the matching bits off on both sides to make her symetric and then do a gel-coat repair to cover the wounds (or add another bit of rubbing strake)?

What are you planning power wise, single screw and shaft for hire-boats with a hydraulic drive and one diesel, twin stern drives and twin diesels for the private versions?

We want the edge of the chine to have about a 10 degree downward turn on it to send spray downward and outwards at speed, this will be modeled on the plug then chipped off as we will try not to stick it on too well, the plug will be used as a slow moving hireboat so will not matter and most of the work is under the antifoul line so should not be seen.

There are versions of this hull with 500hp but this should be happy as a hire boat with either a 43/50 hp engine, we have not yet decided wether it will be on a shaft or hydraulics.

Here is a picture of the floor tray with its second coat of paint on its second sanding before we polish..

post-503-136713856831_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the clarification Clive.

As with your thread on the RC45 you are really managing to give us a lot of good information on how a modern boat is actually put together!

We are all learning from your experiences (and even more from the things that you have to allow for or correct)

Hi Clive, I know the hire versions will have Nannis but if your interested in something painted green for the private version then let me know. :naughty:

I could be interested, how much do you reckon they would pay me to put their engines in my demonstrator :naughty::naughty:

I will be in touch nearer the time cheersbar

• 4 weeks later...

OK, Thats enough! I will start a photo thread of the single level (RF45)

as for this boat, we have just anout finished filling the spray rails and chine, we also decided to radius another of the angles while we were doing the lower one..

I will get some more photos to explain...

today we put the first gelcoat on the floor tray which meant no dust could be created. As a result of this the windows have now been marked out on the superstructure and the plants for them have been made.

(photos tomorrow ;) )

That was the plan but we will probably use this hull further down the line as there is more filler than we envisaged and will hold things up a bit too long if we use it straight away as it will take a while to chip it all off!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Does that mean you`ll be making 2 of these for the Acle fleet now, so you`ll have plenty of time to chip it all off and re-finish it?. Seriously though, has there been much progress on this project Clive, or have you got all the girls and boys working on the annual winter overhaul of the hire fleet?.

Hi Neil,

The Boat building division is completely separate to the the hire fleet operation so we can build uninterupted and also the hire fleet does not suffer when we build.

we will see how she lets as to how many we build but there has been plenty of progress on all fronts, the hull is finished and will be polished and prepared next week for moulding the week after, the superstructure is ready to be moulded and the flybridge is being repaired ready for moulding the same time as the hull mould is being made. The internal module is moulded and waiting to be released.

yesterday we released the hull for Carousel which is the 4-6 berth version on the RC45.

Broadsman 3 is coming along nicely.

The RF45 plug is taking shape too so I had better get some photos of that on here soon too!

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi Clive, on page 42 of the RC45 thread, there`s a picture of the sedan cruiser. Is the photo of a complete(ish) boat, or is it a set of mouldings that you also aquired along with the moulds?.

"Will not pass under any bridges except Acle at low tide. Cruising restricted to north of Great Yarmouth"

Well if she will only get through Acle at low water she would have little chance of going through Yarmouth anyway!

Wroxham to Yarmouth and up to Potter or Ludham Bridge. OK so why bother?

Sorry Clive I don't see the point!

Hi Dan,

I think the weekly hire is wrong, the picture is wrong too! the pic is of a sedan version we decided not to build for this year.

Martin,

would it make any difference for you if she were on part week? :pirate

Hi Dan,

I think the weekly hire is wrong, the picture is wrong too! the pic is of a sedan version we decided not to build for this year.

Martin,

would it make any difference for you if she were on part week? :pirate

Clive,

A couple of days hire for a very cheap price and I might re-consider... ;);)

After producing a great looking go anywhere cruiser like "Broadsman"

you then go and create "Far Horizon" which can't actually go very Far.

Given a choice between the two I know which one I would hire.

(Of course there would probably be a significant price differential to consider..)

With the range of options in your hire-fleet there will always be something to suit everyone.

hi, martin richos allready hire prisma from their acle yard and she has the same restrictions as the new boat. prisma seems to hire very well so guess theirs a place for a new version. I think clive mentioned somewhere that far horizon will be used as a show boat for private owners asswell. two birds one stone, I no its only a drawing clive but does look smart.good luck with here

Here are a couple more pics,

We have now put the second Gelcoat on the superstructure, this was not too bad as only a few repairs had to be made to it, the whole thing was compounded and a release system applied last week.

The hull is just about ready for the release system to go on and should be ready to make the mould next week...

The flybridge part is being straightened as there was a massive bow in the floor, we are also putting in a new textured floor in as the old one was a bit cack. I dont have pictures of this as my battery went flat!

post-503-136713871048_thumb.jpg

post-503-136713871364_thumb.jpg