weed trap

Guest Jonny

Just wanted to get a little more info on this if i can.

I think this works on the same basis as on the weed filter but with out the stopcock.

when we are down for Christmas i want to check make shure nothing is raped around the prop. my problem is when i clean the weed filter you have to turn the stopcock off before removing the top. but for the weed trap there is no stopcock so will the water come through the hole.

the previous owner of curlew said when doing this the water should always be under the waterline of the boat this is why i will not tempt fait and be on curlew at the time of this event :o

I just want to make shure this will work as i not to keen on this. :santa:

Jonny,

If I understand what you are referring to, this is a means of accessing the prop area from inside the boat and allowing you to clear anything that you may have snagged without having to either haul out or go for a swim. If this is the case, it should have been constructed such that the top of the access hatch is above the waterline (usually by several inches for safety!) - if this is the case then you can safely remove the hatch whilst in the water as the waterline of the access tunnel will be the same as the waterline of the boat.

I hope this makes sense :-D

However, Rule 1 should be followed at all times - If in doubt DON'T! :lol:

weed hatches were common in boats when i was in the midlands and i was surprised not to find them on the

broads but props dont seem to get fouled as often here, i put this down to the fact that arable fields dont sweep

down to the river here.

on other waters there seems to be much more frequency of farmers plastic sacks blowing into the river.

the first weed hatch i came across was in a boat owned by people who were new to boating that we cruised

past on the tidal section of the trent. as we came alongside them, the owner and his wife appeared at the wheel house

door, bucket in hand and looking very panicked, hailing us for aid as they said they were taking on water.

they showed us were the leak was, a neat square metal box in the bilges that when they took the lid off, they had found

the leak. :o

the owners looked puzzled as they explained that as much as they bailed, the water did not go down but neither did it

increase. :? my better half explained as tactfully as he could that they had been trying to bail out the weed hatch and that

it was a means of easy access to clear the prop if it got fouled. :oops:

jill

From what I can remember Bountys, Wilds and Alphacraft used to fit weed hatches to most of their models, I have never seen one on an Aquafibre. I have seen ropes, towels, steel cable from a bouy, plastic bags and a car tyre wrapped around props on the Thames. Never saw a body - that happened on my day off :o:shocked:River Police:River Police

Neil

Just i tried to explain and get some answers on a previous thread of mine.

when we first got curlew when you opened the throttle going with the tide or again the tide the bow would raise now for some reason the amount of revs curlew is using there seams to be no speed what so ever. so the only way i could try to explain was as if your riding the clutch in your van or car.

I asked Robin (marshman) the same question and he recons there could be something obstructing the prop. :santa:

Just i tried to explain and get some answers on a previous thread of mine.

when we first got curlew when you opened the throttle going with the tide or again the tide the bow would raise now for some reason the amount of revs curlew is using there seams to be no speed what so ever. so the only way i could try to explain was as if your riding the clutch in your van or car.

something around the prop would certainly slow you down,but last year i had a similar problem

"as if you were riding the clutch" and it was low on hydraulic fluid. so check your levels of the hydraulic drive.

good luck

alan

Jonny

I am convinced that the top of the prop :santawave: weed trap on the Calypso is above water level, is yours not on a raised "chimney about 9"" above the floor, ours acts as a leg for the bed.

Even if it wasn't you would know as you loosened the screws it would start to weep rather than waiting till you got the lid off and then the entire river coming in. Incidentally I never turn off the stopcock when cleaning the cooling water filter its way too high.

Tell you what though your Calypso must have a lot more poke than ours I never notice the bow trying to lift at all against the tide. boat just crawls.

It is possible you have a fouled prop someone I met had retrieved a pair of underpants from his via the weed trap

:santawave:

Gordon

ower weed tap is right next to the bed covered with a stable fitted box type thingy its like an upturned Santa's hat like dead big at the top then narrows i would say its about one step size about the water line. :santa: