Flightradar24.com

I know about the AIS maps and here's one for any aeroplane buffs:

http://www.flightradar24.com/

This is an interesting website, it shows - in real time - details of planes flying over UK, Europe, USA, Australia, New Zealand airspace, providing height, speed, direction together with source and destination information. It seems they update their positions about every 10 seconds. The only condition is that the aircraft must be equipped with ADS-B transponders to participate.

The ADS-B system (Automatic Dependant Surveillance-Broadcasts) is the next generation of aircraft tracking technology that is gradually taking over from traditional radar for primary surveillance. The beauty of ADS-B is that both pilots and ATC can see the same radar picture. It appears to be used extensively in Europe but less so in the United States as you will see from the map.

That's a very interesting site. Thank you.

First thing in the morning, there are vapour trails high above my house and I've been trying to find out where the planes might be going. At the moment, I'm tracking one en route from Manchester to Turkey. By going into the 'Settings' page and changing the filters, you can see what type of plane each symbol represents, its height, speed, course etc.

Oh dear, will I ever get any work done :roll:

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

First thing in the morning, there are vapour trails high above my house and I've been trying to find out where the planes might be going. At the moment, I'm tracking one en route from Manchester to Turkey. By going into the 'Settings' page and changing the filters, you can see what type of plane each symbol represents, its height, speed, course etc.

Oh dear, will I ever get any work done :roll:

You really should get out more. We have many people, just like you, at Bournemouth International Airport. We call them "Swivellers"....... But i guess in your language that would read "Spotters" :lol::lol::lol::lol: .

First thing in the morning, there are vapour trails high above my house and I've been trying to find out where the planes might be going. At the moment, I'm tracking one en route from Manchester to Turkey. By going into the 'Settings' page and changing the filters, you can see what type of plane ea

If you click on each symbol it will come up at the LHS.

:wave hi john i'm afraid new planes don't do anything for me, it's the old ones i love to hear, we went to woodhall spa near coningsby & sat next to the river witham i think it was, & we saw 2 spitfires & a huge plane that looked like a lancaster bomber coming back from somewhere, but hubby said it was'nt one of those as it only had 2 engines, so not sure what it was, but it sounded beautiful ,listening that lovely roar of those deep engines sends shingles down your back, :P lori