Dash and engraving

Ok peeps, I need to update my dash as I'll be adding speed and depth logs, + over the years

there have been additions and replacements to switches and gauges which now look untidy!

I know Brian Ward does them to order but the question is, does anyone else do it too? The reason

I ask is that the quote they gave me I felt was somewhat over the top. Any ideas?

depends on how handy you are :)

i know Grant s made his own dash and i've seen it and tbh it looks like a pro did it

lovely vinyl with piping to match the rest of the boat

i'm going to do something similar with mine eventually once i finally get all my gauges sorted out

but as i have twin engines and a million switches for various things on the boat (i like to be able switch things on and off)

i'll need loads of little labels

i do vinyl printing but have never done anything that small so may be looking at pro made tiny signs as well

One of my suppliers does custom engraved switch panels at a good price, I've just done my own instrument panels and overhead consoles in carbon fibre sheet and they look very nice indeed, actually it's not real carbon fibre as that is madly expensive but I got some fake stuff from the university dept that does a lot of the robot wars stuff at a very sensible price. If you are a bit handy then most stuff like instruments and electronics are quite easy as they are standard hole sizes or have templates which can be easily cut our with a Roto Zip or similar. I guess it all depends on the look you want, but dash panels can be made from all sorts of materials from the Carbon fibre that I mentioned through all sorts of coloured plastics and tufnel to wood veneer and even padded viynl. A recent electronics upgrade I did on a Corvette had to be padded vinyl to match the rest of the boat and although fiddly and time consuming was relatively easy.

I reckon that would look really cool with a carbon fibre sheet over it, it does look a bit spartan being mostly white gelcoat, I'll get a couple of shots of mine so you can see if you like it or not as stuff like this is always a matter of individual taste. I'll be back on the boat on Saturday so will do it then. It would also look nice with foam backed PVC in the right colour I think as it may cut back on glare.

then hopefully all will be finished.

I doubt that Paul, having met you and seen your ship I think we both know you will just start at the other end again with more improvements, :grin: beutiful job BTW, I must try that method on a customer install, does the film stand to wear OK or have you applied a thin acrylic sheet over the top.

Nice photo's Paul. I would like mine in a satin finish black to reduce the glare as mentioned.

(I already wear a hat when in the sun so as not to blind Jenny.... :naughty: ) The biggest

obsticle really is the engraving. Jenny says do it with Dymo tape. No NO NOO! Is there a

kit available to DIY that sort of thing or is there another way. Paul's is worth noting though!

On this subject has anyone any suggestions for labels. We have a brand new instrument switching panel and it has spaces besides the switches for you to put a label for whatever use you have for that particular switch. Now you get a huge sheet with loads of names i.e. inverter , etc but most of which bear no resemblance to what we use) but wondered if anyone (clutching at straws here) know of a machine , not a dynamo tape, got one of those things that prints red tape, and looks awful, where you can print your own little sticky labels. The ones we have are black with white print on. They are about 1" long and 1/4 " down.

wondered if anyone knows of a machine , not a dynamo tape, got one of those things that prints red tape, and looks awful, where you can print your own little sticky labels.

One idea is to get hold of some sheets of address label paper, i.e. A4 sheets with peel off address labels on it, from an office supplies company, and print them on your computer.

It can be tricky to get the line up of the "label names" in the correct places, i.e. on the labels,

but you can try it on standard paper and overlay that until you get it right.

Then you simply do the "live" print run, cut the individual labels to the size required, peel off the backing and apply.

For work in a wet environment printing with a colour laser (if you have access to one)

is better than using an Ink Jet printer as ink jet print runs if it gets wet...

Martin

That is quite a good option Martin, particularly as those labels (especially the Avery variety) are available in a very wide range of sizes and also in a clear material. I can't se much, other than a pro manufacturer approaching the looks of Paul's idea but as an alternative not bad at all.

I must try that method on a customer install, does the film stand to wear OK or have you applied a thin acrylic sheet over the top.

Hello David, The printing ink and clear film is that used extensively on vehicles, I was assured it should be very hard wearing. The film is self adhesive, seems to stick very well. The backing is 3.0 mm composite board, faced with alluminium. I chose the white powder coated and the brushed finish. I did not use another clear sheet over the film.

After application of the film, I had to drill all the holes and trim the edges etc. There was no sign of scratching. I downloaded a 30 day trial version of Adobe Illustrator, sorted the design, e-mailed it ready for printing. All quite simple with no art work or design costs.

Regards, Paul

I can't see much, other than a pro manufacturer approaching the looks of Paul's idea but as an alternative not bad at all.

David, It isn't an approach that I would consider for an entire dash but it works with a switch panel that needs small insert labels as Pavilion was after.

I have used it in the past for labelling around the office, where it was a solution that used readily available technology.

I agree that for a one off customised dash design Pauls idea is simple and seems very effective.

I have only just caught up with this thread. I forget the ladies name but she is the land lady at the Ludham Bridge Dog Inn, she also has a sign bussiness at Stalham where she can do the white engraving on the black board of traditional dashboards, in a font of your choise.

Keep it local I say, I hope this is some help.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there everyone, I have just come across this discussion, so apologies for the delay in replying. You are quite right, I am 'Absolute Signs' in Stalham, and landlady of the Ludham Dog!

I have an in-house printer which prints to a variety of mediums, self-adhesive vinyl being one of them. I also provide cut vinyl lettering too.

The inks used to print have a life of approximately 3 years outdoors, longer inside. To extend the life, and to protect against scratching etc we apply a laminate-a clear vinyl - over the top, then cut the 2 layers to shape. The printer is capable of printing almost any size text, so will be ideal for the labels you require.

You are welcome to contact me at the shop on 01692 581117 Tuesday-Friday, 10.30am - 5pm, or email me at absolutesigns_uk@yahoo.co.uk with your request, and i will see what I can do to help.

Regards

Lorraine