TIME TO LEAVE THE FORUM

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi all, as some of you may have noticed, i`ve posted on several threads some views which SOME moderators have decided are racist and homophobic, but if they`d met me at the Beccles meet in June, they would have had the chance to find out exactly what sort of person i am. However, because i`ve put up a few posts which actually have NO racist or homophobic views (though Not politically correct i will agree) some of the moderators OWN perception is that i AM very biggoted. It is to this end, that i feel it`s time for me to say fareweel to ALL the forumites that i`ve met, and had enjoyable times with. As for those moderators who`ve made their feelings and accusations very public without even knowing me, it`s people like you who drive people like me away from this forum.

Good bye all....... once and for all. :wave:wave:wave

This is a sad day,I have been lucky to have met Neil and his dear wife Karen ,they are both very nice people and I am very proud to to have met them,Neil was the 1st forum member I met,he took the trouble to come and see My wife and I whilst we were caravanning in Dorset,it was then when we struck a friendship and we have met a few times since then.

Neil is no way a bigot and do not derserve to be referred to as one,it is a very sad day that he has decided to leave the forum over some of the comments made against him,which in my opinion should have been made directly to him via a PM and not aired in open forum as this looked to be a personal attack against him.

In my time here Neil has made several interesting posts and I always looked forward to reading them all.

No one can question Neils knowledge and love of the Norfolk Broads he has been coming here for years and I hope he will for many years to come,if you are reading this Neil I hope you change your mind and return,the NBF will not be the same without you.

On a positive note I have Neils mobile and I shall definitely be keeping in touch.

It's a shame to leave, far better to have just accepted that homophobic or racist comments were not welcomed and to have respected the request to not post in that vein, which I think in reality is not unreasonable.

It's up to you Neil, though its seems a shame & un-necessary to my mind to spoil your enjoyment and that of others who enjoy chatting over lots of other subjects, but you do not have a choice if you cannot adhere to the simple, and fairly standard as forums go, TOS of not posting homophobic or racist comments.

Dan

It's a shame to leave, far better to have just accepted that homophobic or racist comments were not welcomed and to have respected the request to not post in that vein, which I think in reality is not unreasonable.

It's up to you Neil, though its seems a shame & un-necessary to my mind to spoil your enjoyment and that of others who enjoy chatting over lots of other subjects, but you do not have a choice if you cannot adhere to the simple, and fairly standard as forums go, TOS of not posting homophobic or racist comments.

Dan

You just had to have the last dig at Neil didn't you Dan,its bad enough that Neil has left,I think you are totally out of order,something has certainly rattled your cage or were some of the comments a bit closer to home

Could see this coming as and I can sympathise with Neil. Perhaps calling people names without thinking of the hurt that it causes be it from one section or another is not the way to go. May be in future if a mod thinks that someone has stepped out of line in his or her opinion, not necessarily everyones , how can it be, a private message to the person may be the way to go. We all make mistakes in life. No one is perfect.

M

It's funny how people's perception of the same thing can be so different.

I read that post from Dan as loosely referring to all of the interesting posts and photos that Neil has put on here, and admitting that his input would be a loss to the NBN as a whole. Quite magnanimous of Dan really.

It's funny how people's perception of the same thing can be so different.

I read that post from Dan as loosely referring to all of the interesting posts and photos that Neil has put on here, and admitting that his input would be a loss to the NBN as a whole. Quite magnanimous of Dan really.

Watch you do not fall off the fence Strowager,some of your comments did not help Neils cause

hi bill, not sure if you will pop in from time to time to have a peep, but if you do please forward me an email address and il let you no how we get on with the 240v lead. truley sorry you feel that its time to leave but take care. il see you at our next bnp meeting :norty:;)

It is truely a mark of the tolerence of this forum that Neil has not been banned, but has sadly chosen to leave. Neil has made some very provocative comments recently, designed to provoke a reaction. We all do from time to time. I know I have. Sometimes we go over the top, and in those cases it is better to reflect, consider if we were over the top, perhaps consider an apology, maybe even take a little time out to collect our thoughts, and then go back to posting. I hope that as it is Neils choice to leave that his account remains open, should he reconsider.

if they`d met me at the Beccles meet in June, they would have had the chance to find out exactly what sort of person i am.

This forum is unusual in that some members meet up in person and persue life long friendships, somewhat akin to a club.

However many on here and many, if not most forums, restrict their communication to the written word. This means that you are judged on the content and meaning of your posts.

Posts written in haste can sometimes convey a meaning that was not intended by the OP and can create an undesirable impression.

On a general note: I find it sad when members feel it necessary to anounce their departure in a flurry of emotion ....... surely it's better to simply stop posting for a while?

:wave

This forum is unusual in that some members meet up in person and persue life long friendships, somewhat akin to a club.

However many on here and many, if not most forums, restrict their communication to the written word. This means that you are judged on the content and meaning of your posts.

Posts written in haste can sometimes convey a meaning that was not intended by the OP and can create an undesirable impression.

On a general note: I find it sad when members feel it necessary to anounce their departure in a flurry of emotion ....... surely it's better to simply stop posting for a while?

:wave

Spot on Smellyloo

I myself have been subject to to being branded a bad person on another forum,all by people who have not even met me,unfortunately people do judge on postings and make their own conclusions to what people are like.

I would say all the members who have met Neil will come up with the same answer.

He is a very polite and a very nice person.

As someone who reads more than posts on this forum I have enjoyed Neil's contributions. Especially his fondness for Maffett's which I share. I too have made misguide comments on web groups, in one case finding myself banned. I felt at the time foolish and apologetic but was not given the chance to rejoin. Fortunately this forum is more open and Neil can still post, (as I'm sure he wants) if he wishes.

As for the way Dan handled the situation I have nothing but praise. He showed courtesy, restraint and understanding at all times and should be thanked by all for handling comments which have upset many.

Fred

hi neil

im sorry to here your leaving

as i see it ....

as a mod its not always easy judging when and when not to remove a post, there are all sorts of factors to be taken into account.

has it been posted in the public sector and been visible long ? etc

is the member who posted the comment known for posting provocative or unacceptable views etc

when posts are deleted, members on the whole do not like it and make their feelings felt.

for a mod, the legal safety of the forum comes 1st and if its felt the line has been crossed then the desision needs to be made to either delete or

make it clear that the comment made is not in keeping with the forums ethos, which gives the poster the chance for a public reply.

jill

I can only really echo Jill's thoughts and comments,but seeing as I have come under some critiscm though it only fair I reply.

In the past we have had a similar outcome to this where someone has had their post deleted and a pm explaining why, they have not agreed & taken offence and upset with the decision & sometimes been very angry that their comments have been removed, which also then when posting disgust with our actions removes the ability for someone to make their own judgement on our actions as the offending post is no longer there.

Perhaps deleting and a pm would still be the better way on reflection, I am not sure, but no doubt it will get thought over. I think realistically though if we have to remove or ask for a stop on comments people seem to get offended whichever way it is done, because I guess few people are happy to have their actions questioned or moderated.

On this occasion, and in light of people taking the hump in the past, and because we are not keen on deleting, locking etc, in the first instance, it was decided to leave the post there with a brief request for restraint, sadly though this was disregarded. Unfortunately though the top & bottom of it is homophobic or racist comments and the like are not allowed, so perhaps it was never going to go well if our requests not taken onboard.

I have enjoyed many threads, posts & photos contributed by Neil so it is nothing personal, simply that some of the comments he posted are not permitted, and so I would encourage him to continue, but leaving out & self moderating the content of his posts on areas such as the two mentioned, just as we would have to of everybody who participates.

All the best

Dan

Watch you do not fall off the fence Strowager,some of your comments did not help Neils cause

I guess that's where we differ then.

I don't see this as an issue about "Neil's Cause", or even "Dan's Cause", just simply the need for a public forum to not fall foul of the law in order to continue.

No one has been banned, just asked to comply with the TOS.

and I think Dan was very fair in ignoring your totally uncalled for "some of the comments a bit closer to home" remark about him.

:wave OH dear neil this is going to be a very sad day indeed, the phrase sticks & stones comes to mind, but i always thought a forum was to be able to express how you feel, & if other people don't like what you've put then they should'nt read it, i really hope you'll reconsider leaving us, but if you've made up your mind i hope you still pop back some time & still come to some of the meets, & keep smiling neil & karen. loribear ;)

Hate crime!!! For goodness sake this is getting out of hand. My grandfather died in the First World War at the age of 19 to be give us freedom of speech which Dictators and the like took away from people. We have to be so careful if drawing the line between a spoken comment in the heat of the moment, which probably came out all wrong and a crime. Certainly dont want to be like China where precious freedoms are not allowed at all. I dont know this member at all but I would hardly think that he meant harm and would be first to admit it. Calm down dear comes to mind.

Look forward to normal posts in the future please.

I think it's right to point out that both David and Dan we're expressing the views of 'The Team' when they commented on Neils post. To single either out for criticism is wrong :norty:

It was only a matter of days ago Neil was warned about the content of one of his posts, this he made no appology for and here we are again! There is only so many times we can try and make it clear, that a breach of the TOS will NOT be tolerated.

I think it's right to point out that both David and Dan we're expressing the views of 'The Team' when they commented on Neils post. To single either out for criticism is wrong :norty:

It was only a matter of days ago Neil was warned about the content of one of his posts, this he made no appology for and here we are again! There is only so many times we can try and make it clear, that a breach of the TOS will NOT be tolerated.

Jimbo

I suggest you read the thread in question again,then come back and tell me Neil was the only one to breach the TOS,there were several comments made which in my opinion breach the TOS yet nothing was mentioned about those posts, even the meaning of a certain user name even breaches the TOS,just think about it,what looks normal to others could offend some,I will not say what it is in open forum,if you would like to contact me via a pm I will tell you my concerns over it

One day a MOD will say "Sorry I got it wrong",now that will be the day!

hi steve

im not trawling through old threads to drag up examples but we do mess up and we do apologise now and then.

but because we are a team, we usualy discuss our moves before we do things which means that there arent

many occasions that we do stuff off the cuff.

saying that, were far from perfect and can only do our best for you and hope that personal tastes dont get in the way too often.

jill

I guess that's where we differ then.

I don't see this as an issue about "Neil's Cause", or even "Dan's Cause", just simply the need for a public forum to not fall foul of the law in order to continue.

No one has been banned, just asked to comply with the TOS.

and I think Dan was very fair in ignoring your totally uncalled for "some of the comments a bit closer to home" remark about him.

A large spoon is on its way to you.