Rare sight on the Yare today

Swordfish

There used to be a breeding pair up north, around Salhouse Broad and the nature trail on the other side of the river.

I don't know if they are still around, as I only saw individual black swans last year, at Salhouse and again at Horning.

Is this another case of northerners moving south?

My wife caught a glimpse of one of these last year, but never got a chance to feed one.

But i manged to see two Otters at Brundall for the first time earlier in the week.

We had moored up for a night at Broom Boats and had a bite to eat in the Yare, where we were chatting to some people who told us that there are Otters about on the river.

Blow me, the next morning as we left Broom, there they were in front of me. This was the first time i have ever seen a wild Otter in its natural habitat.

I never managed to get a photo though, as they dissapeared under the water within seconds and were gone.

I do have some photo's of a friendly Cormorant that was wandering around the jetty's at WRC though. I even sat right next to it and it was also happy to bury its head in its back and go to sleep. As soon as i get around to sorting out our photo's i will post some extremely close photo's of it.