tips on crossing breydon

jillR

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

tip for crossing Breydon.

play your fave music on really loud as you will be bored to tears crossing Breydon.... It was more lively going up north....

Can't agree with that. Take binoculars, you'll be surprised at what you can see. Seals, grounded boats, wrecks, avocets, oystercatchers, harnsers, indeed birds galore and the odd sumptuous sunrise or sunset. Breydon is what eyes were invented for!  

• Like 2

Does anyone know at what time (roughly) after low water the flood actually starts to run into the bure.. I'm sure even 1.5 hours after low water the water is still flowing out.. I really don't want to Orca up here when it's flowing out like this as the engine is still untrusted (And as it's so light it will probably be semi planning!!).  I guess after 1.5 hours the current into breydon is more than current out of the bure so it's never ideal.. or there a better time?? 

cheers 

Hi Alan,

Last Wednesday, I arrived at the yellow post 50 mins after SW and there was still an underpull but it was ok the bridge height was showing 9ft 3" Pootled up at 4.7mph on the GPS. Hope that helps.

cheers Iain.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just have to say for any novices reading this. Breydon waters should be treated with respect , but not fear.

Common sense, reading your boating guide and keeping your eye on the ball (river!) and really that's all it is. Stay within the posts and you will be fine.

Go for it!!

• Like 3

I agree with the Admiral, get the timing as near right as you can, then as you start to go up the Bure, get under those two bridges and tie up at the yacht station until the flow is favorable to push you up river.

PS. I also agree with Wonderwall too

As youngsters two of us left Oulton Broad via Mutford Lock, rowed out of Lowestoft Harbour, rowed along the coast and and back into the Broads at Gorleston. We crossed Breydon and rowed back to Oulton Broad. Nothing difficult, just a case of getting the tides right, such is the value of using nature to advantage. We took the falling tide from Lowestoft, entered Gorleston at low water slack and used the flood to help us back to Oulton Broad, easy.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

So, if the flood up the Bure starts about an hour and three quarters after LWS, does that mean the ebb from the Bure will also start around the same time after HWS?. If so, if you`re on a boat that can go under Gt Yarmouth bridges at HW, it might be worth crossing Breydon at the beginning of the ebb, then you will take the end of the flood up the Bure, or does`nt it work like that?. I hope i`ve described that correctly.

Neil.. don't forget on high tide it can't get any higher.. so it's only going to be flowing out .. So going north to hit it on high slack you will be beating the incoming tide all the way over breydon.. then when you reach yarmouth the tide will start flowing out the bure so you will be beating it all the way up... Same going south.. you will be beating the tide coming towards yarmouth (as tides coming in to high water) then it will be flowing out the yare at breydon so you will beat it all the way.

Thus Hope you have a bloody good engine.. Ideally two just in one has enough. 

It's far easier to do it at low water (slack ;) ) and use the outgoing, then incoming tide ;) Cheers 

Hi Neil, this is how I work the tides out. Going from south to north river. If the low tide (slack) is say at 8am at G/Y, then I / we would start to cross Breydon Water around 8:40. As it takes us around 45mins. We then get to G/Y around when the flood starts. With luck the flood is pushing us up.

North to south river. If the low tide is say at 8am at G/Y, then we try to be at G/Y around 9:30 (we are sometimes just before time).

All this works for us and it has taken me sometime to get it right :clap.

Regards

Marina  :Stinky

So, if the flood up the Bure starts about an hour and three quarters after LWS, does that mean the ebb from the Bure will also start around the same time after HWS?. If so, if you`re on a boat that can go under Gt Yarmouth bridges at HW, it might be worth crossing Breydon at the beginning of the ebb, then you will take the end of the flood up the Bure, or does`nt it work like that?. I hope i`ve described that correctly.

It  might work in the  very first after HW, Neil, but as you go up river you'll get an ever increasing ebb against you.

• Like 1

Hi Neil, this is how I work the tides out. Going from south to north river. If the low tide (slack) is say at 8am at G/Y, then I / we would start to cross Breydon Water around 8:40. As it takes us around 45mins. We then get to G/Y around when the flood starts. With luck the flood is pushing us up.

North to south river. If the low tide is say at 8am at G/Y, then we try to be at G/Y around 9:30 (we are sometimes just before time).

All this works for us and it has taken me sometime to get it right :clap.

Regards

Marina  :Stinky

That's what I do, Marina, but I've increasingly started to wait for another hour at GHYS.