Sign in to follow this  
smitch6

euro or us how to tell

Hi how do you tell what sort of sender you have on your water/fuel tanks?

i'm going to change my gauges on tuesday when ASAP open and i'm not sure what type to get?

i gather it's done via ohms?

i have a digimeter if so how do i test it please

this is the fuel gauge i have at the mo

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fuel-Tank-Gau ... 5d30150b31

many thanks steve

Hi Steve,

The Euro / US instruments are different in that they show Metric / Imperial scales, each must have its correct matching sender. The resistance of these metric / imperial senders is very different. I do have some installation sheets which give resistance readings at my workshop, will look for them when there next.

Most of the guys at ASAP are quite knowledgable, one has been to the Faria factory, so they should help you determine which fuel sender you have.

It is very important to adjust the sender correctly, the gague is useless unless it gives you a true measurement of tank conntent. The pivot point of the float arm is the actual resistance unit, it should be adjustable in height, this height is critical, relevant to the depth of your tank, then then the length of the float arm gives you the range : empty / full.

I would suggest before you mount the sender in the tank, mount the sender through some plywood, connect all the wires and then perform the adjustments. Set the " empty " reading to leave a decent reserve of fuel, I set mine to show empty with 10 gallons remaining.

Regards, Paul

You need to check the Ohm ratings of the sender with your meter, mostly US ones range from 240 full to 30 empty and the Euro ones 180 full to 0 empty. Rudder indicators and trim gauges work on exactly the same principal.

Forgot to say you can check at the instrument end if its more convenient, just disconnect the two cables and put your meter across them, not as accurate but the two types are so far apart in their readings the extra resistance in the cabling will not materialy affect the outcome. Usual caveat, disconnect or switch off the power before taking any resistance readings.