Sign in to follow this  
mbird

Lens repair

When off on our 2 week hols last month, my camera lens zoom finction jammed. It's a Canon EF-S 17-85 IS, and is one of only two lenses I posses; the other being a 70-300 zoom. Needless to say, this was a bit of a pain as it severely limited my camera usage, being jammed at the 17mm focal length. At least it meant I could take wide angle shots and then crop them!

Anyway, on return I dropped the lens into Jessops for a quote for repair. They charged a £25 non refundable deposit and then sent it on to Canon for an estimate. This came back about 3 weeks later at £148! The lens is around £360, so still cheaper to repair than renew, but the letter was at pains to advise this was only an estimate and subject to being increased.

However, in a fit of inspiration, I thought I'd do a google search, and lo and behold, there was a blow by blow pictorial sequence of how to do the repair, as apparently these lenses are reknowned for it. http://thydzik.com/canon-efs-17-85mm-is-stucklocked-zoom-repairdisassembly/

Ok, it was a bit nerve-wracking, but 30 mins later, I have a fully working lens and no repair bill. Sorted!!

Yes, only an "L" model would be financially viable to repair I would think.

On a different tack, I'm always surprised at how much money "broken" lenses fetch on Ebay, bearing in mind the very high cost of repairs.

Maybe I'm cynical, but I can only think that the new owner is then going to scam his insurance company into paying for a new one, using the hopelessly bashed in remains as "proof of ownership" rather than an original bill of sale.

and pushing our premiums up in the process.... :evil:

Good work Mark and just goes to show how companies really rattle the price up on service work. I imagine someone who does these repairs day in and day out would have had it sorted in a matter of minutes and £175 better off for their trouble too!

Hi mark, just as a matter of interest I clicked on your link to have a look and my anti-virus (MacAfee) threw up a warning “dangerous site are you sure you want to continueâ€. Might be my antivirus being a bit paranoid but I didn’t go there just as a precaution

Hi mark, just as a matter of interest I clicked on your link to have a look and my anti-virus (MacAfee) threw up a warning “dangerous site are you sure you want to continueâ€. Might be my antivirus being a bit paranoid but I didn’t go there just as a precaution

I only use Microsoft Security Essentials and it didn't have any problem with it, and I don't think I have any problems, so you could well be right.

Very impressive Mark! You should tart a sideline business.

Thanks Bruce, even with the Freudian slip :lol:

Very impressive Mark! You should tart a sideline business.

Thanks Bruce, even with the Freudian slip :lol:

Freudian Mark - or deliberate? :naughty:

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

For details of our Guidelines, please take a look at the Terms of Use here.