Winter of Discontent in a Caravan

MY littleboat

As we head toward what looks to be numerous strikes by public service workers looking to protect their gild plated pensions in jobs which haven't seen the pay cuts that many public sector and armed forces jobs have (yes they have as accommodation and food charges have gone up AGAIN as well as an almost certain removal of operational bonus next year) I have decided that, as I own. Lovely piece of land in Norfolk, I'm going to set up my friends and family in caravans, not worry about paying any council tax, force the local council to provide me water, drainage and rubbish removal services for free and do so safe in the knowledge that the UN will support me in that 'right'

Wild camping, whether in a caravan or under canvas is actually illegal in the Uk, apart from some parts of Scotland which are covered by anicient rights designed to allow shepards camp out with their flocks on the rugged terrain.

Its also far from cheap, expect to pay anything from £12 a night for a basic pitch with no electricity hook up, to over £60 a night for a site with full facilities. Unless you are talking about the provision of 'Traveller' sites then no council that I know of provide utility services for free, you also need a licence to run a campsite and most councils stipulate a maximum stay of 28nights before a unit and its occupants have to move on. Even if you own the land yourself, as we do with our caravan when its at home, we are not allowed to live in it there as it would be against local bye-laws.

Contrary to popular belief, its not cheap to own, maintain and live in a Caravan, when you factor in running costs, servicing and repairs, deprieciation, bottled gas and electricity fees, insurance, and the extra fuel to tow it, site fees and storage costs for those without a space at home, it certainly works out more expensive than running a fairly large family car from new!

Julz :wave

Ah but as I own the land and as I've watched the news today the UN say it is my human right to live as such and as an ethnic minority - a Jedi - recognised by default after the last census - I declare that I am fully within my rights to live as such !

O B One KANOBI,may the force be with you.

How long before the local force have you off after all the squit from the locals :River Police:River Police:River Police:River Police:River Police

You can site your van in my back garden anytime you like Gav as long as you swear allegiance to the mighty Canaries,

There is. Very serious point to this post. Having listened to the BBC today and heard a representative from Basildon Council and also from the travellers as well as the UN I ask the following questions why has no charge in 10 years ever been levied for the electricity and water that they plumbed intothe site. The waste us removed to prevent it being piled up and dumped and yet the defence for all of this is that 'it is the human rights of these people to live in this way. The BBC went on to say that one of the more vocal families are multiple millionaires fighting a large planning case in Eire and that, despite the law at every level supporting Basildon Council the UN say the eviction is illegal

Your thoughts?

Ah but as I own the land and as I've watched the news today the UN say it is my human right to live as such and as an ethnic minority - a Jedi - recognised by default after the last census - I declare that I am fully within my rights to live as such !

I heard that guy from the UN on 5 live today...interesting stuff is all I can say :lol:

There is. Very serious point to this post. Having listened to the BBC today and heard a representative from Basildon Council and also from the travellers as well as the UN I ask the following questions why has no charge in 10 years ever been levied for the electricity and water that they plumbed intothe site. The waste us removed to prevent it being piled up and dumped and yet the defence for all of this is that 'it is the human rights of these people to live in this way. The BBC went on to say that one of the more vocal families are multiple millionaires fighting a large planning case in Eire and that, despite the law at every level supporting Basildon Council the UN say the eviction is illegal

Your thoughts?

I think you will find quite a few of them are millionaires, I know, we used to service all their brand new Mercedes-Benz. Not just one in a family but two or three Mercs. Even then they still felt they shouldn't be charged. They used to walk into our showrooms and blatantly steal coats and other goods in front of our eyes, then rely on intimidation when you approached them. Didn't wash with me, on one occasion I locked a young traveler in my office until the police arrived after he threatened my staff. His farther then threatened to block off our site with caravans. Bring it on I said but you wont have much of the caravans left when my technicians start on them, of course it didn't happen. It is amazing how reversing the intimidation can work.

They are all scum and parasites and I for one will be glad when they are kicked off the Crays Hill site. The only problem is they will they will only move on to another area and start again.

Like always they expect something for nothing. I'm with your sentiments on this one Col, parasites simply hiding behind some excuse of an alternative culture and getting away with murder whilst we have to pick up the tab. They pay nothing in tax, nor national insurance yet still expect the same rights and priviledges as decent people. In the words of Kenny Everett "Round them up, put them in a field, and bomb the bast**ds!"

Yep Mark that's exactly true about paying nothing. The representative from the council said that they were unable to levy charges for waste disposal nor could the utility companies collect for the services they were receiving as this would constitute a contractural right to live there

So what have the Police done about 10 years of THEFT of these services (something you or I would have stood in court for long ago) well nothing, as like a similar situation in Cambs and knowing that travellers hold numerous illegally held weapons, coupled with the inability to prove identities, it is simply too dangerous and a waste of resources to pursue

The reality, as described by the UN is that these people are above the law and the growing bleating heart brigade stand by and support them as all around lives of other folk are turned to misery

Whilst on the travellers subject another snippet if news was that it is now unlikely that anyone will be prosecuted following the discovery of slave workers at another site in Bedfordshire

Just so nobody gets the wrong idea, we are talking about a lifestyle “choice†here and not an ethnicity. A lifestyle choice and a behavioural pattern that I completely agree seems to be above the law and adversely affects the right to a peaceful existence those surrounding them.

Col

“

They are all scum and parasites and I for one will be glad when they are kicked off the Crays Hill site. The only problem is they will they will only move on to another area and start again.â€

I’m afraid intemperate comments like this in a thread which is bordering on the racist really depresses me about the English (or is it mainly Bleeding Cockneys!! ). Myopic simplistic views based on prejudice and little else, do little for our reputation as a tolerant nation made up of decent hard working folks that my old man fought for several decades ago.

On the one hand you make unfounded allegations about their criminal behaviour and yet were happy to do business with them. Double standards methinks!!

Paul

Col

“

I’m afraid intemperate comments like this in a thread which is bordering on the racist really depresses me about the English (or is it mainly Bleeding Cockneys!! ). Myopic simplistic views based on prejudice and little else, do little for our reputation as a tolerant nation made up of decent hard working folks that my old man fought for several decades ago.

On the one hand you make unfounded allegations about their criminal behaviour and yet were happy to do business with them. Double standards methinks!!

Paul

This is not anything other than discussion about the news. My comments I think you will find are all reported, and before I get slated, I have enough Irish in my immediate family, to ensure my comments arent racist, but just comment. However, there are residents living in the very near vicinity to the camp who have had no joy, one such guy is Len Grindley who, whenever he takes down or destroys any construction on his own property is arrested for it

Yes many people died in wars protecting freedoms - those freedoms included upholding the law, and whilst there are people in all walks of society who break the law, virtually none do so with the impunity that ILLEGAL travellers do. We have a legal reavellers site near to where I live which is mostly empty as the cost is too high... how high is too high? It involves paying council tax and a £28 week ground rent and electricity and water are metered... I wish my boat moooring was that cheap!!

However, I too would not write those comments, but can I remind you that those people also fought in those wars to protect the right to air such comments as we still have freedom of speach - although it seems worryingly on a daily basis that that right is quickly being eroded by the very same Europeans trhat we fought against to protect them!!!

Look i don,t want to get into arguments about racially aggravated public order offences (which includes written words) i only caution that a Mod should examine this thread in case it contravenes the said Act.

And as for the comment about the "Tory Government" i,m afraid it is a pretty feeble attempt. At no stage did i imply that this Government were to blame for this unfortunate situation (although the then Tory Government of 1995 did change the planning rules which has precipitated this event). This should be above Party Politics and yes hold forthright views, as a Geordie i certainly have over the years slandered my dear neighbours from Sunderland.!!

I am merely offering a balanced a view, an alternative propostion that we should at least make an effort to get on with each other. And i re-iterate why demonise them on one hand and then do business with them on the other. Have you Southerners got no morals !! Starter for 10.

Paul

People who own land and live on it ,ie they sleep there every night are NOT travellers ,and as such should pay the same taxes as every body else ,the activist i see have got in on the act saying they are bieng victimised , because they are travellers but there not ,they choose to live there perminant ,and in not abiding by societies rules are ,criminal no bones or excuses they are criminals in the eyes of the law and should be dealt with by the courts ...like every one else in society