East Coast Magazine

The main site and the online magazine work fine on my machines, in Opera, Firefox, and IE7.

My Android browser sees the main site ok as well, but can't open the magazine because it needs Macromedia Flash, which my cheapo tablet can't run.

post-669-136713856773_thumb.jpg

Must be an IE thing .... no surprise there.

I run IE8 and it doesn't work, No problems normally with flash.

It does however work in Opera.

There really is no excuse for the web designer of that site to allow these sort of bugs.

Given that it does work in Opera, Firefox, IE7, and Android browser, I would have said that it's Internet Explorer 8 that has the bug, and that really is unforgivable.

(but quite par for the course....) ;)

A very interesting and timely post. As you know we are launching a free distribution east coast boating magazine and the first edition is currently being poured over. If anyone is interested in advertising or contributing feel free to contact me directly and look out for something exciting in a little over a month

The format will see the magazine distributed accross the whole of the east coast including the Broads

In the meantime enjoy someone roses sailing mag!

It looks as though the cause is narrowing down a bit then, depending on what version of IE that Jim is using.

Even then, alas, it could be down to one of Microsoft's innumerable "security patches".

My sympathy is usually with the web page authors. Cross browser compatibility is a moving target. Just when you think you've got it licked, one of them changes... :roll:

IE7 and Vista operating platform :oops:

Going to upgrade to the latest Windows product as soon as possible although Vista has performed better than expected. I do have a lot of extra add ons set up because of the industry I work in so that might have helped.

Can say with a good degree of confidence the issue is the version of Flash Player, not IE / Firefox / Chrome “whateverâ€.

Imagine having to code and then release “patches†for an operating system *you* know very well but then have to test against every pile of **** PC Pro / Guardian on Sunday bit of freeware, not to mention the 30,000 plus real software packages that your utilities / shopping / fuel in your car depend on. Slightly more complex than your average BT exchange dear boy.

Phil

Can say with a good degree of confidence the issue is the version of Flash Player, not IE / Firefox / Chrome “whateverâ€.

Imagine having to code and then release “patches†for an operating system *you* know very well but then have to test against every pile of **** PC Pro / Guardian on Sunday bit of freeware, not to mention the 30,000 plus real software packages that your utilities / shopping / fuel in your car depend on. Slightly more complex than your average BT exchange dear boy.

Quite possibly it is the Flash player version Phil, now that we know Jim was using IE7.

Software compatibility is a two-way street though. Microsoft publish programmer guidelines and enable reviews of OS's through the MSDN, but they then frequently change the base criteria without warning, (as well as just introduce plain bugs).

Yes, much more complex than the Strowger exchange equipment I trained on, 45 years ago, but home ground for me during my latter years of employment as a software engineer, ( dear boy... ;) )

Well said, and I’m sure you took the Moon the Loon reference in the spirit with which it was intended cheers

MS publish API instructions via MSDN which, if followed, work well. The “if followed†is often where things start to fall down. BASIC anyone? :evil:

Phil

Yes, anyone not following API's is asking for trouble, but the issue touched on this thread was cross-browser and plug-in compatibility for website authors and programmers.

The eternal problem there is writing compact efficient code that displays and runs reliably on the most common browsers, and then still runs after any of them is subsequently "enhanced" with a sudden patch or version release.

Unbeknown to the average user, the poor active html developer has to often "sniff" the browser type and version and send the appropriate code on the fly.

What a shambles......

(That's "poor" in the rushed and harangued sense, not salary sense :naughty: )

Nah, do it right and it works regardless. I would have the biggest hissy fit ever should one of my team mention sniffing the browser, mobiles excepted. And anyway, HTML is scripting, not coding :bow

Phil

it's called code when it relates to Active varieties of HTML.....

"my team".... ah well, I was just a lowly consultant programmer, what do I know.

(often called in to assist in-house "teams" with a problem).... :roll:

Definition of a computer expert: Someone who spends a lot of time telling anybody who will listen (so not many) how good they are. They spend much time tweeking machines and code usually resulting in a reduced service.