Richardsons Forward drve 45. (RF45)

Clive,

When preparing the plug for the superstructure do you have to make any preparatory measures for mounting the cleats, fender points etc,

on the side decks, so that these are "built in" at the time of moulding?

Or are the "strongpoints" for these added to the moulding later after it is released from the mould, prior to or during construction?

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Apart from the differing lengths, have you thought about a fixed "wrap round" type screen such as on the Bucaneer 37 mk2, and Hampton mk1, as this would allow more internal living accomodation. The only thing you`d have to do is incorperate a set of steps up to the side deck behind the helm seat, with a grab rail for safety, but they would only need to be 18" wide, so won`t take out any noticable living accomodation.

All the strong points are added in at the moulding stage, also the gas locker and various bits of metal used to bolt into, the hull has all the service boards and floor bearers put in while in the mould.

Neil, there is a massive amount of work in the frolt section, we have built what we feel will be the most popular but changing it would be a whole new mould :o

unfortunately there is no such thing as a small change, we have tried plenty of small changes and they all cost a fortune in time and money, we will have to see further down the line if it is worth it.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Neil,

we are making progress with this and are making the mould in about two weeks, however, we have decided to put the build off for this year and buld another Carousel which should be released in July.

hi clive, well that clears that one up then :? looked at broadlander on hoseason web site over the weekend for sept this year and she appeared to be fuuly booked all season. will she be in the fleet for 2013 ? on personal level would rather broadlander had been built then far horizon ;) that just me being selfish. really glad to see another rc45 being built, guess this goes to prove what everone has said she a fantastic design. cheers clive keep us posted on the broadlander progress ( well all us bath tub fans ). andy

Hi Andy,

We are still pressing on with Broadlander, she will be in the fleet at the start of 2013 instead of the end of 2012, this way we will have more time to make her a bit more special, also I feel we over priced her a bit so will readdress this for the new catalogue.

The Carousel is going to be a really smart boat, building 2 together will get the second in the fleet much sooner we hope.

• 3 weeks later...

Just realised I had not put any photos up recently, :oops:

We started putting the first layers of Gel on the rear of the plug today, we are making the mould in two halves so that we can make a shorter back end at some point in the future,

here are some photos from when the plug was nearly finished with just the tracking left to finish off on the decks and roof.

post-503-136713884813_thumb.jpg

post-503-136713884835_thumb.jpg

post-503-136713884858_thumb.jpg

Maybe this question is for Clive?

How do you build/design a boat to go under Potter?

Are there known measurements somewhere regarding

the profile etc to work to and how do you check after

the build is finished?

I ask because I remember that there used to be a

gauge just inside Herbert Woods yard by the foot bridge

in the 60's for anyone to check that the boat would go

through and feel it would be an asset to have it re-instated.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Neil,

Carousel goes out in 3 weeks time, she will come out of the shed next week and have the canopy and engine fitted.

She is looking really good inside and is going to be a cracking boat :grin:

I will get some photos up when she is all cleaned with the upholstry on board.

• 8 months later...

Good grief! I cant beleive how long it is since I last updated this thread,

Well, I cant find my pictures of the canopy plugs or the pictures of the finished peak plug :roll:

but, I do have a couple of the peak when we started it, it was a tough one to work out, how we wanted it and how it was going to fit but I think we got it right. The moulds are now being made...

The first superstructure was made a few weeks ago and was left upside down so that we could make the side liner moulds and some ventilation ducting moulds in the roof...

She is now in the 'trim shop' which is where we do all the dusty work like cutting out all the window and door apartures as well as cutting off all the other unwanted bits, we then 'finish' it which is removing all blemishes which should not be there...

post-503-136713952869_thumb.jpg

post-503-136713953172_thumb.jpg

post-503-136713953194_thumb.jpg

post-503-13671395321_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

here she is in the shed all set up,

the canopies and peak moulds are made, they have to have the release system put on then we should have a set within a couple of weeks..

We now have 3 boats in build in the shed :)

post-503-136713956721_thumb.jpg