Richardsons Forward drve 45. (RF45)

Hi Mark,

The front end is a subtle blend of Wilds, Bounty and Horizon, the Wilds peak was more rounded than the others which is where the biggest similarity comes from, it was a popular boat, as are they all now.

the Wilds version was the only boat o this type to have opening front windows, we wont be doing this....

Hi Clive

Will you be having a one piece sliding canopy or each side independent like some alphas the advantage of closing one side on a windy day but still having the opposite side open for air.???

Jonny

This looks actually very elegant in the shape of the bow, modern with the curvature of the window line as it goes aft but (if I can say) 'retro' with the forward screen and well.

If one did not have the constraints of money, and 'will it hire' to fear I do believe one could produce a single level, forward steer boat without conforming to anything that has been before. E.g. no forward well and keeping helm forward of the saloon not ‘part of it’.

If you put the helm in what would be the well, and then have a single curved transparent front and roof that curves up over the saloon. Modern, risky too - but then think back to when Wilds moulded in GRP and the design they did – it was not like anything that had been before. Very popular now.

Really though you got to say hats off to decide to build a forward steer when everyone else is moulding either fly bridge or centre cockpits – I never have likes a fly bridge cruiser with a rounded bow, they need some point to them and look like a ‘proper boat’.

Hi Robin,

Now, where have I seen that beore???

http://www.angliaboatbuilders.org.uk/AB ... front.html

This idea is about 5 or 10 years ago, the project never got off the ground (yet)

we thought this design was not good for the broads or a hire boat as the numerous encounters boats have with various bridges would cause problems :lol:

there are some single level boats without the front well (some Bountys and Alphas) they may have some advantages but we feel that our customers prefer to have the well as they are good for fishing from, sitting out under lights in the evening, feeding ducks! and also handy to keep an eye on kids while the boat is under way, they are also very sociable boats as the living space is next to the outdoor space.

with your design you must remember that the hull at the fwd end would get in the way of your feet if you were sitting too far forward unless you were in the middle. I will try and get some photos to show how close the hull is to the floors/ seating at the fwd end.

keep coming up with ideas though as I do use some :naughty:

That's why my personal fav is the Aquafibre 38 & medd44 forward drive. Bit well big backside for fishing gear also sunbathing. But also were very spacious mooring & manovering was fun when people thought you were gonna hit them & missed them by a mile :naughty:

Clive

Do you know how big the births are going to be for us six footers :lol:

Jonny

Robin,

I took some photos of the space we have to play with up front, none were any good but here is one of them :)

you can get an idea of how the floor tapers up at the side and also inwards, obviously the deck naturally keeps you away from the sides a bit but as you have noticed there is some decent shape to our hull and therefore we cannot work as close to the edges or bows as possible on the old Bounty or Carribean hulls.

The photo also demonstrates a bit how the seating follows the hull shape and does not leave much space behind.

post-503-136713957967_thumb.jpg

Hi Clive, we have just booked this years holiday on Bahama Major, we love the old 'bathtub' style. Like you say they are brilliant if you have children, dogs or elderly being all on one level and with the well at the front so you can keep eye on them whilst cruising. Having been a customer of yours for many years we have been following your latest boat building ventures with admiration and am really excited about seeing the finished Broadlander. I see she is in the new brochure, when do you expect to have in the water for hire? Keep up the good work, see you in June!

:grin:

Hi Aco,

Thanks for your interest, We are all looking forward to seeing her on the water so at least we dont have the rubbish drawing of her in the brochure!

She is looking better every day but is not due out for about 5 months as we have other boats to finish first.

I am sure you will have a great time on the Bahama Major, they are still a very popular boat, unfortunately we have had to gradually take them out of service over the last few years but there are still a couple of them left for you to enjoy!

hi clive, shes looking really good, what do you intend to do with the plug ?? will it be cut up and thrown away ? i kinda remember you mentioning some time back that there maybe a fly bridge version in the future. or would that mean buildind a whole new plug.. anyway its great to see the new fleet getting there and love the idea of the moonfleet yard, may just have to give them a go ;)

Hi Andy,

The plug which was used for this will be virtually all be destroyed as we will only be using the base and the hull ring. The frames will be at the same spaceings so they have been made to fit 18mm further forward so we will just fix to the face of the old frames. When the frames are up we will then put a moulding from the front of the centre cockpit version on the frames, it will be the front cabin upto the screens and then down the canopy runners to about 3quarters aft down the deck. the whole lot will then be lifted a bit... BUT thats another story! ;)

Moonfleet should be having one of these next year. ;)

good news clive, i hope you guys address the seating probs on the flybridge.. herbert woods have tried and kinda got it right, on there alpha moulds. faircraft and there sovereign fleet ( nice sociable area ) are pretty much spot on. look forwards to your version.. plz dont go down the road of garden furniture on the roof..