Richardsons Forward drve 45. (RF45)

"I'm not sure how happy I'd be manoeuvring a brand new 45 footer... especially if it wasn't mine"

I wasn't happy in March taking Carousel through Ludham bridge with water over the sides under the bridge lol should be a center mark on bridge.

But it's great in the water and control is very good, Power is there when needed, stops on it's nose.

Just seen pics of the boat and looks good. Even powered side tops and mudweight looks tidy in the front. Didn't see any heating in the rear on the pics? The day doesn't start till I/me gets up to put heating on and kettle for the galley slave lol.

Just back from a great week on Broadlander's maiden voyage.

Was really impressed with the boat.  I think it will be a bit love or hate and not one for those who do not like forward steer single level craft, though they would still find things within it they liked I'm sure.

Fitout was of good quality and nice finish.  New, deeper laminates and also making up more of the fitout with less fibreglass moulded areas than on the new centre cockpits from Richardsons, which added to the luxurious, warmer feel. 

A great boat for those who love single levels, great to have a new design with a forward well again, and with the comfiest, shaped seating and upholstered backrests too!  A great, shapely hull also give impressive handling, better than any, less shapely Bounty or Alpha/Wilds hull too.  

The fact the gunwhales are not level and slope gently upwards towards the bow also offers ease of getting on/off when moored side on as you can walk along to whatever level matches the bank!  Useful for my Mum who has problems with her knees but easier for everyone really!

Few suprises like the blinds to the rearmost windows - I wasn't keen when I first saw them but soon warmed to them and nicely co-ordinated fabrics and curtains forward show someone has a good eye for detail and that thought & care has been put in throughout the development, construction and finishing stages!

Dan

post-25-0-38823700-1371320907_thumb.jpg

post-25-0-96977600-1371320933_thumb.jpg

Just seen pics of the boat and looks good. Even powered side tops and mudweight looks tidy in the front. Didn't see any heating in the rear on the pics? The day doesn't start till I/me gets up to put heating on and kettle for the galley slave lol.

Hi Siddy

There is a radiator in the rear & side cabin and a large one in the galley, then the option of warm air heating forward as well with a powerful speed for clearing the screen or giving the temperature a bit of a quick boost

Enjoy!

Dan

I took a look at this, courtessy of Dan in the week.

All reviews of anything are subjective to the person's liking or not of something.

At first glance from the front, there are inevitable similarities with a Wilds boat with a fixed peak. The side on view looks strange for a flatty as those we've had before simply don't rake the decks down towards the blunt bit as this does and there's a sea of smoked, frameless glass windows down the side with no pillars between the stern and the sliding cockpit. Again, this is something not seen on many flattys and it's unusual, but modern and sleek.

Inside, the layout is spacious and extremely well put together. Easy to use and live with. Head linings are really nice and the wooden worktop through the whole galley looks entirely bespoke with routed draining  channels to the sink too.

It's a great re-entry into single level cruisers from Clive and Paul and their talented team but I really don't envy the cleaners having to deal with the venetian blinds..... :-)

Some great pics there Dan, she really does look smart, but i still think she`d look a little bit brighter with a coloured stripe along the top of the hull, and along the topside of the cabin top.  I don`t like the fwd cabin with the tapering berths, a bit claustrophobic for some, and think that section of the cabin should have been used for an en-suite with the beds moved elsewhere.

That said, i`m sure Clives team could quite easily do a custom layout for any fleet that wants to buy them, have you had any other fleets interrested in them Clive, either on the Broads or other waterways?.

Regards to all ................ Neil.

Some great pics there Dan, she really does look smart, but i still think she`d look a little bit brighter with a coloured stripe along the top of the hull, and along the topside of the cabin top.  I don`t like the fwd cabin with the tapering berths, a bit claustrophobic for some, and think that section of the cabin should have been used for an en-suite with the beds moved elsewhere.

That said, i`m sure Clives team could quite easily do a custom layout for any fleet that wants to buy them, have you had any other fleets interrested in them Clive, either on the Broads or other waterways?.

Regards to all ................ Neil.

Hi Neil

Glad you liked the piccies.

I don't recall any berths tapering though?  Are you meaning the twin or double cabin?  I wonder if it is an illusion from the photo you have seen?  The twin/double cabin in the middle is not claustrophobic by any standards I wouldn't say... infact this is probably the most spacious 4-6 berth I've been on.  This twin/double cabin on a Broadsman/Carousel would have saloon seating over hanging the foot of the bed but not so on this design, which only affords a feeling of even more space on Broadlander by comparison.

Dan

Hi All,  Thanks Dan for a superb review and pictures of the maiden voyage !!  I think she looks very sleek and modern, only 6 weeks to go until we are on board.  I especially love the bottle of champagne on arrival cheers Ali

ps Clive I trust that this warm welcome of bubbly is extended to all your customers :naughty:

Nice to see some pics thanks Dan. She does look smart, but it looks to me as though anyone sitting on the settee can't actually see out of the windows due to the height of the window cills. Is this just a optical illusion Dan? Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Nice to see some pics thanks Dan. She does look smart, but it looks to me as though anyone sitting on the settee can't actually see out of the windows due to the height of the window cills. Is this just a optical illusion Dan? Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yes - you can see out of the windows when you are sat down - in this piccie of my Mum, who is not very tall you get an impression of the level they work at

Dan

Guest Jonny

Hi Clive a quick question.

I know Barnes have a couple alphas with the backside cutout & wider walkways & cabin doors for wheelchair users but form reviews I don't rate them very high.

So the question is with richardsons popping out new builds & reffing your older fleet what about fitting out one of your older class that would be wheelchair friendly.

Thus giving those with family members with wheelchairs a class of cruisers that they can get aboard & not have to struggle.

You have plenty of classes styles & layouts so in away won't be loosing a fleet but gaining customers that yards tend to alienate & have to find a cottage that prefer tobe out on the water.

Jonny

Hi Jonny,

As we develop boats we will try various layouts I try not to commit to anything as a build schedule is a long thing and I do tend to change my mind every now and then...